• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The two Irish tribes

Estragon

I was thinking about what is it that actually differentiates Fine Gael and Fianna Fail. In this strange world we're in it has occupied a lot of my time. I think I have boiled down to this.

Fianna Fail: People who, in public, frown on sex, whilst riding anything with a pulse in private.
Fine Gael: People who drone on and on about how we should celebrate our sexuality, whilst never ever having any in private at all.

If there are more meaningful policy differences, I can't find them.

In fact, I think it's a dichotomy which can be applied to Irish people in general!

milipod

I was thinking about what is it that actually differentiates Fine Gael and Fianna Fail. In this strange world we're in it has occupied a lot of my time. I think I have boiled down to this.

Fianna Fail: People who, in public, frown on sex, whilst riding anything with a pulse in private.
Fine Gael: People who drone on and on about how we should celebrate our sexuality, whilst never ever having any in private at all.

In fact, I think it's a dichotomy which can be applied to Irish people in general!
Wha?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I have always been able to explain the difference between FF and FG with an illustrative description.

The Fine Gael daughter is about 18 times more likely to have had piano lessons at some point.

The Fianna Fail daughter knows someone who can arrange to have the piano stolen overnight.

fifilawe

[q]I was thinking about what is it that actually differentiates Fine Gael and Fianna Fail.[\q]
I wish u would not do so much "Thinking"

redmonite

Have you ever met a member of either party?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I saw FF in action at the count in Cork when I was a mere 17 and didn't quite yet believe the awfulness of them.

They had hired a lady to bring them cups of tea. They were well inside the limit allowed by law and regulation of being near the count.

They treated the lady they hired like shyte. I learned one very important thing about FF that day and that is they would be your absentee landlord just as easily as a woman in Northumberland.

Never forgotten seeing those culchie bastards acting the laird. Never have. Never will.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've seen nothing else about them since that would change my mind either.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies