The vacant moral high ground that nobody who ever claims it is actually entitled to.........

Enigma Variations

UVF victim's brother slams Orange Order St Pat's Day parade band - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

How many times have we heard from hard line unionists on this forum that they don't vote for parties associated with terrorism? Oddly we never, or very rarely ever hear it form the moderates, because they understand the pointlessness of raking over the past. It's a tired mantra by now but one which has very little basis in reality, and another example as to why that is has been reported today in the Belfast Telegraph.

In summary, the Orange Order are hosting a parade on St Patrick's Day in Lurgan and will bring along a band named in honour of a terrorist who was involved in a triple sectarian murder in 1991 in a nearby Craigavon housing estate. One of those murdered was a minor.

The Orange Order has been urged to stop a loyalist band named in honour of a man linked to a vicious sectarian triple killing from taking part in a St Patrick's Day parade.Brendan Duffy's sister Eileen (19) was gunned down alongside her friend Katrina Rennie (17) and customer Brian Frizzell as she worked in a mobile shop on Craigavon's Drumbeg estate on March 28, 1991.
The murders were claimed by the Protestant Action Force, a cover name for the Mid Ulster UVF.
Secretary of the Bateson's True Blue Lodge, John Millar, last week told the Irish News that raising Clarke's past had "no real relevance"."Everybody is welcome to attend this event, which is about bringing people together," he claimed.
"There are parades that take place honouring IRA members, so it would be hypocritical to say anything about this parade. There were terrorists on both sides."
The reality is that if this was a republican event and the band was named after someone like Raymond McCreesh we'd have a clamour of protest from the worthies of the UUP/DUP many of whom are fellow Orange Order members. The other reality is that the OO itself was obviously ambivalent about loyalist terrorism - never actually condoning it, but never condemning those involved with sufficient conviction to be remotely convincing. Even nowadays UVF murderers are far more welcome in its ranks than a cross-dresser like Clifford Smyth, who has nevertheless, afaik, led a blameless, crime free life.
Dealing with my sexual brokenness - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
If senior unionists, like Foster, Elliott, Campbell, Dodds etc. are too cowardly to break ranks with their Orange Order colleagues and condemn this for what it is, & if those of them who actually belong to the OO are not prepared to resign their membership in disgust at the fact that their Grand Lodge in Belfast are currently washing their hands of responsibility for it, then future statements from them about IRA commemorations will have no validity and no credibility.

Se0samh

UVF victim's brother slams Orange Order St Pat's Day parade band - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

How many times have we heard from hard line unionists on this forum that they don't vote for parties associated with terrorism? Oddly we never, or very rarely ever hear it form the moderates, because they understand the pointlessness of raking over the past. It's a tired mantra by now but one which has very little basis in reality, and another example as to why that is has been reported today in the Belfast Telegraph.

In summary, the Orange Order are hosting a parade on St Patrick's Day in Lurgan and will bring along a band named in honour of a terrorist who was involved in a triple sectarian murder in 1991 in a nearby Craigavon housing estate. One of those murdered was a minor.

The reality is that if this was a republican event and the band was named after someone like Raymond McCreesh we'd have a clamour of protest from the worthies of the UUP/DUP many of whom are fellow Orange Order members. The other reality is that the OO itself was obviously ambivalent about loyalist terrorism - never actually condoning it, but never condemning those involved with sufficient conviction to be remotely convincing. Even nowadays UVF murderers are far more welcome in its ranks than a cross-dresser like Clifford Smyth, who has nevertheless, afaik, led a blameless, crime free life.
If senior unionists, like Foster, Elliott, Campbell, Dodds etc. are too cowardly to break ranks with their Orange Order colleagues and condemn this for what it is, & if those of them who actually belong to the OO are not prepared to resign their membership in disgust at the fact that their Grand Lodge in Belfast are currently washing their hands of responsibility for it, then future statements from them about IRA commemorations will have no validity and no credibility.
Their ambivalence and hypocrisy, is already well enough known for such statements to have ever had either credibility or validity. What you have shown here is merely the latest demonstration of that, if no remorse or embarrassment has yet been shown, it's because they are incapable of showing any...................:(

ticketyboo

I loved the line "everyone is welcome to attend this event"......:eek:
I wonder how many holidays I have left...?
Seriously thinking of showing up, telling them all that I traveled especially today from Donegal, was baptized Catholic and vote for Sinn Féin.....and I too think that commemorating someone who shot up a mobile shop is equally...nay, more worthy than a "terrorist from the OTHER side".....

Northsideman

I loved the line "everyone is welcome to attend this event"......:eek:
I wonder how many holidays I have left...?
Seriously thinking of showing up, telling them all that I traveled especially today from Donegal, was baptized Catholic and vote for Sinn Féin.....and I too think that commemorating someone who shot up a mobile shop is equally...nay, more worthy than a "terrorist from the OTHER side".....
And they'd all brake out in song "Let's all do the bouncy, let's all do the bouncy".

Mind your head!

razorblade

The thought of having to share an island with those neanderthals up north is an utter embarrassment.

theloner

Is the Shankill Butcher stewarding it this year again?

Se0samh

Is the Shankill Butcher stewarding it this year again?
I was going to say............unless he falls under a bus...........but if I do and he does...........they might come looking for me......so I won't..........so I won't........:rolleyes:

CastleRay

Indeed. The IRA and its glorification has always been a cancer in Northern Ireland society. Post-GFA past terrorism is now the norm. Disgusting.

Enigma Variations

Indeed. The IRA and its glorification has always been a cancer in Northern Ireland society. Post-GFA past terrorism is now the norm. Disgusting.
I have no problem with that statement.
Sadly you stopped short of applying the same logic to the Orange Order and its glorification of loyalist murderers, but are using the thread to condemn one side of the coin only...................you should be embarrassed..............

Se0samh

Sadly you stopped short of applying the same logic to the Orange Order and its glorification of loyalist murderers, but are using the thread to condemn one side of the coin only...................you should be embarrassed..............

See post#2.............

CastleRay

I have consistently condemned all terrorist activity. There are no sides in it.

Enigma Variations

I have consistently condemned all terrorist activity. There are no sides in it.
Yes but the thread is about Orange Order & the polititicians you vote for, and their selectivity in who they are prepared to condemn. Their are plenty of other threads about the glorification of the IRA for you to vent your feelings about that issue. This isn't one of them. Have you any feelings about the fact that this UVF-glorifying band are being welcomed to an Orange Parade this weekend, and there has not been a whimper of dissent from any prominent unionist politician so far, yet when previous IRA events in places like Castlederg were announced, the caterwauling from the likes of Foster and Elliott was given widespread coverage? That is the thread topic.

CastleRay

Yes but the thread is about Orange Order & the polititicians you vote for, and their selectivity in who they are prepared to condemn. Their are plenty of other threads about the glorification of the IRA for you to vent your feelings about that issue. This isn't one of them. Have you any feelings about the fact that this UVF-glorifying band are being welcomed to an Orange Parade this weekend, and there has not been a whimper of dissent from any prominent unionist politician so far, yet when previous IRA events in places like Castlederg were announced, the caterwauling from the likes of Foster and Elliott was given widespread coverage? That is the thread topic.
That is because sadly the glorification of terrorists is standard. FFS, the dFM unashamedly did this only a few weeks ago before the election and her and her Party were elected in droves. Senior policing board members giving talks on the good old times of shooting and killing prison staff whilst escaping? Wtf do you want now from people given those examples and many more before it?

CastleRay

I voted for no Politician that has selectivity on this issue. Can the same be said for you?

GDPR

I think CastleRay is being genuine, I'm nearly certain he is; however given that both BtB and Cruimh have made similar statements and yet were proven to be dishonest I can sort of understand your reaction. Outside of Longmarch and I has any other PUL besides "slippy wicket" who doesnt count because he is a creepy Southerner on here admitted having supported the Loyalist Paramilitaries at one time?

between the bridges

Remind us of who ye said ye would be vootailing for...

Republican funeral row SDLP MLA told to quit justice role - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

New Threads

Most Replies