The Voice of Ireland to retire...

the_rebubblican

Micheal O Muircheartaigh is to broadcast his last All-Ireland final next Sunday when Cork play Down. The man who makes radio pictures with the gladiatorial sporting exploits of real people who populate the cities and villages of Ireland is hanging up his microphone.

I remember a story about him where some golf clubs and gaelic footballs signed by the Dublin team were stolen from his car in Dublin's city centre. After he spoke on Liveline asking for the signed balls back which were to be auctioned for charity everything was returned that same day. Such is the respect for the man across all classes in Ireland.

It's the end of a fantastic career but I wonder is it the end of something much more significant because RTE will hardly be able to replace that legendary Kerry lilt.

DCon

Could Cowen replace him?

Cowen does a great impersonation, allegedly - after a few pints, so it could be a seamless transition..

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Voice of GAA you mean?!

A long and distinguished career. Best of Luck to him.

TradCat

The best in the business. The pictures were always better on the radio when Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh was painting them. May he have a long and happy retirement. Sunday afternoon drives will never be the same again.

DeathKnell

This is depressing news indeed. Cowen is in serious trouble if any link is made between his impressions and Mícháel calling it a day..:roll:

Best of luck to you Mícheál.. You made me cry, shout, curse, sweat and most importantly, you made me laugh over the last 30 years of listening to the match on a Sunday.
It wont be the same without you.

Tomas Mor

Could Cowen replace him?

Cowen does a great impersonation, allegedly - after a few pints, so it could be a seamless transition..

Priceless.

Luimnioch

Fantastic, brilliant, legendary.

Go néirí an t-ádh leat a Mhíchíl. Níl aon amhras ann nach mbeidh do leithéid aríst ann a bhuachaill.

needle_too

"The Voice of Ireland to retire..."

Cowens gone?

oh...nevermind

idle tim

Is he retiring in the same way as Gay Byrne has retired,if so nothing much will change and his neverending Gaelish monologues will be assaulting our ears for many years to come.:-x

Luxie

Some of the most famous and humorous quotes from the most famous GAA commentator of recent times "1-5 to 0-8...well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language".

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now ... but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail ...... I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"

"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50......he's on the 40......he's on the 30....... he's on the ground".

"Seán Óg Ó hAilpín.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold".

"Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation".

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery".

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they played with the ball."

"Setanta Ó hAilpín....the original Setanta from the old Gaelic stories was ten foot tall, had ten fingers on each hand and ten toes on each foot but even he couldn't be playing better hurling than his namesake here today"

"... and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose you wouldn't have the Kerryman would you?' To which the Egyptian man behind the counter replied 'do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'. He had both, so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

"Anthony Lynch, the Cork corner-back, would be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy"

" Dublin have scored two points, one from the hand and one from the land"

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner Street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them, the priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! 40 yards out on the Hogan stand side of the field Ciaran Whelan goes on a rampage, its a goal. So much for religion".

"I see John O'Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary, sponsored by a water company. Cork Sponsored by a tae company. I wonder will they meet later for afternoon tae".

"Danny "The Yank" Culloty. He came down from the mountains and hasn't he done well".

"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point.............it went wide".

"Stephen Byrne with the puck out for Offaly....Stephen, one of 12......all but one are here to-day, the one that's missing is Mary, she's at home minding the house.....and the ball is dropping i lar na bpairce...."

"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide..... and the dog lost as well".

"And thats it for another All Ireland Day, never have such scenes been seen in croke park, as the day Tyrone lifted the Sam Mcguire, but credit must go to Armagh, cos lets face it, they're going to need a lot of credit in the coming weeks and Year to come."

Kev408

Undoubtedly a great sports commentator.

More importantly he was a school-teacher for decades - helping to shape the mindset of kids especially in mainly inner-city Dublin schools. Funny thing though, I've read all the glowing tributes to this man (one letter-writer to a newspaper proposed him for President) but I haven't seen/heard one letter/commentary from any former students. Maybe such tributes exist and maybe they'll slowly and reluctantly surface, I don't know.

What I do know is that Michael Moriarty (as he called himself until 1985) was a terrible teacher who was not adverse to demoralising children. He was not what his students would call a violent bollox like most of his colleagues but he was not shy about terrifying young boys with his threats. I could say much more but telling the truth about our latest hero might lead me to being sued! I'm not sure if I'd mind that too much.

Anyway, a great broadcaster but an abject failure at his real career.

New Threads

Most Replies