• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The War Cabinet

ger12

So, An Tainster Eamon Gilmore believes he is in "a war cabinet whose job it is to steer economic policy and to ensure there is joined-up government but Government decisions are made by the full Cabinet”. He was defending the role of the Economic Management Council (EMC), made up of himself, Taoiseach Enda Kenny, Minister for Finance Michael Noonan and Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin.

Jeepers, those bastions of great experience and knowledge on all things economic :roll:.

Minister for Agriculture Simon Coveney has apparently said he was unhappy that Cabinet members not in the EMC were not more involved in the preparation of the budget. I guess you'd wonder how the budget would have been shaped if Ministers like Simon Coveney had indeed had some input into the budget preparation.

As for the war cabinet bit, are we really really in dire economic crisis, really? 'Cos members of the government cabinet are spending vast sums of money on "special" advisors and increasing the amount TDs can spend on secretarial and PR services etc., and well, don't see any need to touch their own salaries, increase tax on the very very wealthy etc.

Have the "war cabinet" lost the confidence of the people who elected them or am I having a moment? (snap out of it ger12, toughen up girl, it's all under control ;))

'Labour will remain in Coalition' - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 15, 2012

Analyzer

Will the four members of the joke that is the "Economic Management Council" accept responsibility, when Bailout 2.0 occurs ?

Apart from Gimmemore and the site business, I am at a loss as to the economic competency of any of them.

neveragain

Well Herr Gilmore I refuse to be cannon fodder for your war.
I'm a conscientious objector. :mad:

Analyzer

FakeViking

Will the four members of the joke that is the "Economic Management Council" accept responsibility, when Bailout 2.0 occurs ?

Apart from Gimmemore and the site business, I am at a loss as to the economic competency of any of them.
So no reasoned argument, just childish name calling. Again.

Thady Quill

I think of them as the Gang of Four, like the Chinese cabal of the 1960s/70s.

When they were booted out, there were celebrations in the streets.

Con Gallagher

Article 28.4.2
"The Government shall meet and act as a collective authority, and shall be collectively responsible for the Departments of State administered by the members of the Government."

What part of this do the four horsemen of the apocalypse not understand?

Red_93

It is truly a disgrace that the two cabinet ministers with the best understanding of economics: Burton and Bruton, are not on the EMC.

Analyzer

Old, heavy, facing the same direction, similar sincerity..,
Ruserious, Churchill was an intelleigent, articulate, and heroic leader.

Noonan is just a clown, who out of his depth. Statements about Feta cheese, and lifestyle choices.

ger12

Should the EMC be looking for some "One Dollar Men/Women" with serious experience and knowledge of all things (socio) economic?

ger12

It is truly a disgrace that the two cabinet ministers with the best understanding of economics: Burton and Bruton, are not on the EMC.
It's a bit like having a World war cabinet without anyone present from defence. Bad move really on behalf of both Kenny and Gilmore.

Fr.Ted Crilly

So, An Tainster Eamon Gilmore believes he is in "a war cabinet whose job it is to steer economic policy and to ensure there is joined-up government but Government decisions are made by the full Cabinet”. He was defending the role of the Economic Management Council (EMC), made up of himself, Taoiseach Enda Kenny, Minister for Finance Michael Noonan and Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin.

Jeepers, those bastions of great experience and knowledge on all things economic :roll:.

Minister for Agriculture Simon Coveney has apparently said he was unhappy that Cabinet members not in the EMC were not more involved in the preparation of the budget. I guess you'd wonder how the budget would have been shaped if Ministers like Simon Coveney had indeed had some input into the budget preparation.

As for the war cabinet bit, are we really really in dire economic crisis, really? 'Cos members of the government cabinet are spending vast sums of money on "special" advisors and increasing the amount TDs can spend on secretarial and PR services etc., and well, don't see any need to touch their own salaries, increase tax on the very very wealthy etc.

Have the "war cabinet" lost the confidence of the people who elected them or am I having a moment? (snap out of it ger12, toughen up girl, it's all under control ;))

When gilmore says 'war cabinet', that's what he means.
He and his cronies have declared war on the poor, the sick and on middle Ireland.
The 'elite' will always be untouched under FG/Labour.
It's easy to attack the rest.
It's war ok, only these jokers aren't fit for it, no room for cowards in a war.

Analyzer

Well Bruton and Burton know more than the four clowns on the EMC.

But that is not hard.

Look at Bruton's investment record. Anglo Banglo, McInerney Builders (both bankrupt). BoI/AIB (insolvent). etc...

Then we had Burtons statement "we are in this recession because we've run out of money".

They should just bring in serious economic competence. I was not a fan of Lendahand, but he did at least acknowledge that Alan Ahearne knew more than he did, by brining him on board.

D

Deleted member 17573

I would have some reservations about the constitutionality of the EMC. The government is responsible for the management of the public finances, but the government is defined as consisting of the Taoiseach and at least 6 ministers.
If the remainder of the cabinet believe that they are being excluded from this function, can it be claimed that the government is acting in accordance with what is envisaged by the constitution.

Department of Taoiseach - Role of Government

ger12

I would have some reservations about the constitutionality of the EMC. The government is responsible for the management of the public finances, but the government is defined as consisting of the Taoiseach and at least 6 ministers.
If the remainder of the cabinet believe that they are being excluded from this function, can it be claimed that the government is acting in accordance with what is envisaged by the constitution.

Department of Taoiseach - Role of Government
I can't see any Minister at cabinet challenging the constitutionality of the EMC. petunia

Mad as Fish

Ruserious, Churchill was an intelleigent, articulate, and heroic leader.

Noonan is just a clown, who out of his depth. Statements about Feta cheese, and lifestyle choices.
Churchill was certainly a man of the moment but it's worth remembering that he failed his army entrance exams and had to be 'crammed' to get in. As far as economics are concerned his actions as a conservative chancellor were probably as controversial at the time as Noonan's antics are now, but unlike any of the the crowd who we suffer at the moment Churchill was highly perceptive and articulate, he also had charisma and most important of all a vision, an idea of what was right and wrong. We may also note that having led Britain through the war the first thing the ungrateful peasants did was kick him out of power and install a labour government instead of the war time coalition.

We have to be so careful in picking our heroes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies