• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The War of Young and Old in Ireland

GDPR

I've just been rereading Freud's 1909 essay "Family Romances," and I was struck by one sentence: "Indeed, the whole progress of society rests upon the opposition between successive generations."

It has often been noted that the Tan War and the Free State War were wars of the young against the old. Most of those joining Conradh na Gaelige and the IRA were youths who were sick and tired of the paralyzed society that had existed in Ireland since the Genocide of the 1840s. It was a society were the old ruled, and the young had no say in anything. The lust for life of the youth was regarded as dangerous and subversive by both church and state, and the safest way to deal with this subversive energy was to send the youth into exile. The same process is seen today in Eastern Europe, and is being seen again in Ireland. In 1922, the youthful energy of Ireland was defeated by the dead hand of the old and comfortable, and there the youth has stayed. Castrated.

We might think that events such as the gay marriage referendum are signs that the youth of Ireland are now enforcing their will on a tired and confused older generation. In some ways, this is true. But, it is not a healthy uprising of the youth. It is merely the youth replacing one master with another. The energy and independence of thought of a Liam Mellows is entirely absent.

And I think we could say this of all that remains of the Republican Movement today. All there is is memories of the past. There is very little understanding of the present, and still less lust to create a new future. Most have adopted the Liberal Agenda, and are happy to ally themselves with Oligarchs like Chuck Feeney.

Which is not to say that the past and tradition are not important. They are vital. This is the foundation from which great leaps of the imagination can be made. But, only those with young legs can make those leaps.

A society that kills its own young - spiritually, intellectually, economically and even literally though abortion - can only die. It has already sealed its own fate.

Today the right of the landowner, bankster, developer and landlord to profit is considered to be far more important than the biological imperative of the youth to set up home and procreate. This is the Culture of Death.

The imperative of all life is to create more life and to innovate. This is the Law of Nature. What is too weak and too corrupted to reproduce itself is of no use to Nature, and will be crushed by Nature, without mercy. Western man today is such a weak and corrupted being. Mother Nature rules Her realm with a firm but fair hand. The Western Liberal is an affront to Her greatness, and She will not suffer his insolent pride. She has already crushed many of his sort before, and raised up new life on the manure of their rotting remains.

GDPR

We might think that events such as the gay marriage referendum are signs that the youth of Ireland are now enforcing their will on a tired and confused older generation. In some ways, this is true. But, it is not a healthy uprising of the youth. It is merely the youth replacing one master with another. The energy and independence of thought of a Liam Mellows is entirely absent.
Im not sure it was true in any way given how the aging establishment across the board supported the referendum. Given how younger Catholics tend to be more small "c" conservative than older ones younger people may have made up a substanial number among the "No" votes.

GDPR

Im not sure it was true in any way given how the aging establishment across the board supported the referendum. Given how younger Catholics tend to be more small "c" conservative than older ones younger people may have made up a substanial number among the "No" votes.
I'm sure there was some of that a chara, but I did a bit of campaigning before the vote and I noticed that the more middle aged and older middle class people were more against gay marriage, whereas the under 35s seemed to quite hysterically pro. And I would use the word hysteria - they seemed to have been pushed over some psychic threshold by the intensity of the Gaystapo propaganda. Of course you are correct that the politicians were all pro - they had gotten their instructions from the Globalist elite that traditional marriage and the family are an obstacle to Capitalist profit.

GDPR

The imperative of all life is to create more life and to innovate. This is the Law of Nature. What is too weak and too corrupted to reproduce itself is of no use to Nature, and will be crushed by Nature, without mercy. Western man today is such a weak and corrupted being. Mother Nature rules Her realm with a firm but fair hand. The Western Liberal is an affront to Her greatness, and She will not suffer his insolent pride. She has already crushed many of his sort before, and raised up new life on the manure of their rotting remains.
My mother-in-law has a saying (Im not sure if she thought it up herself or found it somewhere); "God always forgives at least when He is asked, humans sometimes forgive, Nature never forgives". The OP raises a lot of important questions.

GDPR

My mother-in-law has a saying (Im not sure if she thought it up herself or found it somewhere); "God always forgives at least when He is asked, humans sometimes forgive, Nature never forgives". The OP raises a lot of important questions.
Go raibh maith agat a chara. We have had the usual suspects trying the derail the thread with their usual one line inanities, so it much have some value.

borntorum

Culture of Death would be a great name for a heavy metal band

GDPR

Go raibh maith agat a chara. We have had the usual suspects trying the derail the thread with their usual one line inanities, so it much have some value.
The need for any healthy society to maintain a balance and creative tension between the forces of vitality and productive innovation on the one hand and those of respect for tradition and small c conservatism on the other is a topic of immense importance.

I think a problem with the "usual suspects" is that they dont like the think about the fact that they are no longer freshers full of what you might be able to get away in those days calling "radical thoughts" but actually an inane and constrictive establishment themselves.

D

Deleted member 34656

The need for any healthy society to maintain a balance and creative tension between the forces of vitality and productive innovation on the one hand and those of respect for tradition and small c conservatism on the other is a topic of immense importance.

I think a problem with the "usual suspects" is that they dont like the think about the fact that they are no longer freshers full of what you might be able to get away in those days calling "radical thoughts" but actually an inane and constrictive establishment themselves.
Absolutely.

However including Neanderthal 'ideals' in a supposedly utheful thread confuses the uth.

This ain't little house on the prairie.

Let's go all the way.

reg11

I've just been rereading Freud's 1909 essay "Family Romances," and I was struck by one sentence: "Indeed, the whole progress of society rests upon the opposition between successive generations."

It has often been noted that the Tan War and the Free State War were wars of the young against the old. Most of those joining Conradh na Gaelige and the IRA were youths who were sick and tired of the paralyzed society that had existed in Ireland since the Genocide of the 1840s. It was a society were the old ruled, and the young had no say in anything. The lust for life of the youth was regarded as dangerous and subversive by both church and state, and the safest way to deal with this subversive energy was to send the youth into exile. The same process is seen today in Eastern Europe, and is being seen again in Ireland. In 1922, the youthful energy of Ireland was defeated by the dead hand of the old and comfortable, and there the youth has stayed. Castrated.

And I think we could say this of all that remains of the Republican Movement today. All there is is memories of the past. There is very little understanding of the present, and still less lust to create a new future. Most have adopted the Liberal Agenda, and are happy to ally themselves with Oligarchs like Chuck Feeney.

Which is not to say that the past and tradition are not important. They are vital. This is the foundation from which great leaps of the imagination can be made. But, only those with young legs can make those leaps.

A society that kills its own young - spiritually, intellectually, economically and even literally though abortion - can only die. It has already sealed its own fate.

Today the right of the landowner, bankster, developer and landlord to profit is considered to be far more important than the biological imperative of the youth to set up home and procreate. This is the Culture of Death.

Are they killed off spiritually, intellectually and economically? From what I know about history it's really up to the young people from middle to better off backgrounds. They sure seem intellectually and economically empowered like never before and that's mainly due to smaller families, that why SSM came about. Once, if there were a gay son or daughter they could be sacrificed, now families can't afford that because it might be the only one that parents have. The pill was the impetus for massive social change.

As for spirituality, it seems to be more confined in the realm of the self with a massive industry to feed and perpetuate a sort of confined personal spirituality.

Will such a paradigm persist in the Western world? I don't think so because it has to deal with patriarchal forces from outside operating on the inside.

GDPR

Are they killed off spiritually, intellectually and economically? From what I know about history it's really up to the young people from middle to better off backgrounds. They sure seem intellectually and economically empowered like never before and that's mainly due to smaller families, that why SSM came about. Once, if there were a gay son or daughter they could be sacrificed, now families can't afford that because it might be the only one that parents have. The pill was the impetus for massive social change.

As for spirituality, it seems to be more confined in the realm of the self with a massive industry to feed and perpetuate a sort of confined personal spirituality.

Will such a paradigm persist in the Western world? I don't think so because it has to deal with patriarchal forces from outside operating on the inside.
The point I'm making, a chara, is that the young - except for maybe the few well off families you mention - don't have the means to set up home and have children. They don't have the means because the old in Ireland see the young not as the future, but as victims that can be profited on. Not all old people to be sure, but how many of the older Irish now are involved in property speculation and landlordism - which are mostly based on profiting on the need of the young for housing. The result is that these older people may well be getting richer - but only by sucking the blood out of our nation's future. And the remedy for this situation that is proposed? Of course, importing more Muslim young people to take the places of the Irish young people who are not being born or are being forced into exile.

GDPR

[video=youtube;3G-096Y2LQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-096Y2LQc[/video]

Dearghoul

I'm sure there was some of that a chara, but I did a bit of campaigning before the vote and I noticed that the more middle aged and older middle class people were more against gay marriage, whereas the under 35s seemed to quite hysterically pro. And I would use the word hysteria - they seemed to have been pushed over some psychic threshold by the intensity of the Gaystapo propaganda. Of course you are correct that the politicians were all pro - they had gotten their instructions from the Globalist elite that traditional marriage and the family are an obstacle to Capitalist profit.
Hiding in among your polemic are some quite valid points which would be interesting to look at. You obtusely, decide to alienate anyone from that discussion however by use of terms 'Gaystabo' which signals internet nutter to most, I would expect.

Try again.

reg11

The point I'm making, a chara, is that the young - except for maybe the few well off families you mention - don't have the means to set up home and have children. They don't have the means because the old in Ireland see the young not as the future, but as victims that can be profited on. Not all old people to be sure, but how many of the older Irish now are involved in property speculation and landlordism - which are mostly based on profiting on the need of the young for housing. The result is that these older people may well be getting richer - but only by sucking the blood out of our nation's future. And the remedy for this situation that is proposed? Of course, importing more Muslim young people to take the places of the Irish young people who are not being born or are being forced into exile.
That's the picture on a superficial level. Are you from or live in a rural environment?

Many people planned their families to be small. Many young people are getting married with the older generation being in a situation to give a big help with the housing needs of their young. Now many farmers will sell sites to free finance to help with their daughters' home purchase in places like Dublin. One time daughters were offloaded, social change again. Many non farming families are also able to offer financial help. These are very politically active people and it's no coincidence that they elect a substantial number of landlords to the Dail. Inter-generational relations have never been better and these young people have nothing to complain about.

The rest live a disconnected insecure existence in a social milieu that was created and designed by the above. They seem powerless, so far. Perhaps, that will change but only if the impetus comes from outside?

GDPR

That's the picture on a superficial level. Are you from or live in a rural environment?

Many people planned their families to be small. Many young people are getting married with the older generation being in a situation to give a big help with the housing needs of their young. Now many farmers will sell sites to free finance to help with their daughters' home purchase in places like Dublin. One time daughters were offloaded, social change again. Many non farming families are also able to offer financial help. These are very politically active people and it's no coincidence that they elect a substantial number of landlords to the Dail. Inter-generational relations have never been better and these young people have nothing to complain about.

The rest live a disconnected insecure existence in a social milieu that was created and designed by the above. They seem powerless, so far. Perhaps, that will change but only if the impetus comes from outside?
I do come from a rural background and I know what you are saying is very often the case - though not all farmers can give sites to their children. Even if they could, there is the question of what kind of jobs would be available to them in those rural areas. But we have to recognise that farmers are now a tiny % of the total population, so they amount of our youth they will be helping by giving them free building sites will be tiny. Also, what you say about the more well off middle classes being able to help their children with housing is also true, but, again they are a minority.

As you say, the vast majority of our youth subsist in a disconnected and insecure zone - the Precariat class. The result can only be further demographic collapse of the Native Irish - and more of the business classes calling for more immigration.

rainmaker

Administrator
The OP raises a lot of important questions.
Indeed it does. Most notably why is this thread not in the Zoo? Is it now time for a Conspiraloon forum? And most important of all perhaps - why has this poster not been apprehended by the authorities already?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies