The warm and fuzzy thread

Dearghoul

I have an odd affection which I think is very British for things which are just slightly going wrong.

It's difficult to explain but my best mate owns a canal boat and whilst it's certainly lovely to go cruising down the canal on a sunny day - his boat is on a rural canal so you go past fields and the cows sometimes come into the canal to cool off and it's all lovely and bucolic, especially for a Brummie lad.

However, once we went and it started out sunny but then it started to rain and got quite cold.

My friend was well pissed off and insisted we set off back to the mooring, but I had a wonderful time.

He put the canopy up on the boat but I insisted on my side panel being left off, so it was almost dry but the odd bit of rain got in.

It's a very old boat so the windscreen had a windscreen wiper but it only cleared a bit of the windscreen.

I was quite cold so I said I'd "drive" if he'd make me a nice cup of tea, which took ages as the kettle only boils very slowly on a limited power supply on the boat.

It was perfect. I was protected from most of the rain but not all of it. I was coldish but had my tea to warm me up having waited ages for it. I could partially see out of the windscreen but not fully. The little boat chugged along bravely and it was all so wonderfully British - trundling along slowly and rather inefficiently in bad weather but muddling along somehow and making the best of it.

I loved it and it was my favourite trip, far more than the perfect sunny days. My mate was baffled at first but my obvious joy cheered him up too and we ended up having a rare old time.

Can anyone else understand this or am I just a freak?
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/4476508-three-men-in-a-boat

ger12

Oh and of course a proper open real fire!

I really, really want to get a house one day - in a modern flat now which is nice enough but I want an old-fashioned house.

If I can get one with original windows and an original working fireplace I will be a very happy boy.... sadly this is less and less common now.
I rented for a decade, no fireplace. I have two stoves now, and you're right, the real fire is a treat. :)

ger12

The more I read my old posts back the more odd I realise I am.

I think apart from the poofiness I was born in the wrong time. I like old-fashioned things.
Nah, you're not alone in thinking like that.

GDPR

Seem to have been on the go since seven this morning. This morning's pay is almost gone already between bills and more bills. So first time I've got to sit down, relax, open up the recliner and a well earned beer, brain in relax mode and just chill.

ger12

Just watched First Dates Ireland. It was quite sweet. :)

Top Bottom