The way we operate our child welfare payments

hollandia

I was talking to a colleague today who in the course of the conversation told me that she had recently had her child welfare payments stopped. The reason given was that the dept had not received the letter signed or stamped by her employer. A letter which she had dutifully got stamped and signed. This has also happened to me in the past.

It begs the question - in this day and age, how is it that govt departments don't know who is working at a given time - given that we need our psri numbers in order to be taxed, or to draw social welfare payments - can't share this information effectively and instead rely on the post?

Seems to me that the system is causing unnecessary difficulties, that could be very simply addressed.

wexfordman

Stopdoingstuff likes your post, I think he is suggestion that someone stops doing stuff

realistic1

I was talking to a colleague today who in the course of the conversation told me that she had recently had her child welfare payments stopped. The reason given was that the dept had not received the letter signed or stamped by her employer. A letter which she had dutifully got stamped and signed. This has also happened to me in the past.

It begs the question - in this day and age, how is it that govt departments don't know who is working at a given time - given that we need our psri numbers in order to be taxed, or to draw social welfare payments - can't share this information effectively and instead rely on the post?

Seems to me that the system is causing unnecessary difficulties, that could be very simply addressed.
Maybe ordinary citizens needs advocates like travelers and immigrants have? I rarely hear of the local crims/work shy losing their benefits.

dresden8

The government isn't really watching you all the time. Revenue will not know the details of your employment this year until your employers send in the P35 sometime next year. And by then it will be out of date.

hollandia

The government isn't really watching you all the time. Revenue will not know the details of your employment this year until your employers send in the P35 sometime next year. And by then it will be out of date.
PAYE employees make payments every week or month. Revenue has that info all the time.

storybud1

Come to my town and watch the massive activity on Mickey Money day, banks, post offices, strange large BMWs visiting the town,,

Then look at the Irish people on the same day,,

Nothing, normal activity,,

gijoe

Why are they looking for a letter from your employer? Surely a stamp from a school saying the kid exists and lives in the country is enough.

johnny365

Come to my town and watch the massive activity on Mickey Money day, banks, post offices, strange large BMWs visiting the town,,

Then look at the Irish people on the same day,,

Nothing, normal activity,,
I was in a council housing estate recently, full of Eastern Europeans driving around in 2 litre BMWs. The Irish working class law abiding poor are the real and forgotten poor of this state.

brughahaha

I was in a council housing estate recently, full of Eastern Europeans driving around in 2 litre BMWs. The Irish working class law abiding poor are the real and forgotten poor of this state.
How do you know ? When they stopped at traffic lights did you engage them in conversation ? See their passports ? ........I'm not sure how you would know the nationality of anyone driving a car .....

And what suggested to you that they weren't law abiding , inferred by your use of law abiding to describe the Irish but not the Eastern Europeans ?

Btw if you believe the twaddle you just wrote , you really should ditch the Labour logo , I'm not their biggest fan but they're not a bunch of xenophobes dispensing cliched stereotypical tropes , for all their faults

johnny365

How do you know ? When they stopped at traffic lights did you engage them in conversation ? See their passports ? ........I'm not sure how you would know the nationality of anyone driving a car .....

And what suggested to you that they weren't law abiding , inferred by your use of law abiding to describe the Irish but not the Eastern Europeans ?

Btw if you believe the twaddle you just wrote , you really should ditch the Labour logo , I'm not their biggest fan but they're not a bunch of xenophobes dispensing cliched stereotypical tropes , for all their faults
They all are neighbours are a friend of mine, so it's not xenophobic to say what is going on.

mangaire2

They all are neighbours are a friend of mine, so it's not xenophobic to say what is going on.
Tralee must be a great place Johnny.
I know a couple of foreign nationals, Johnny,
& they are struggling to survive.

"2 litre BMWs" my arse !

Franzoni

Then they should get off their hole and start paying more attention to whats going on .....

Voting for anyone but FF-FG-LAB would be a start.........

brughahaha

Errr yes it is .....your post is a text book example of xenophobia ........

ridiculous generalised urban myths dressed up,as fact aimed at "other" nationalities

Xenophobia is the nice name for it BTW ..........

riddles

Is it possible to find out how many non-nationals are in the country right now?
Is it possible as a tax payer to find out what percentage of the live register is made up of non-nationals?
Is it also possible to find out what percentage of the non-nationals on the live register have never been employed here?

Given that we are in a 200 billion hole I don't this it's unreasonable to start asking some questions. With a shrinking appetite for bonds and currently borrowing 2.5 billion in day to day spending - something has to give.

hollandia

Why are they looking for a letter from your employer? Surely a stamp from a school saying the kid exists and lives in the country is enough.
Your guess is as good as mine. That's the way it has been for at least eight years, only going by my experience. I'm assuming that they want to know if the parents are in the country paying taxes. I know mine was stopped when I was living abroad, and I had to switch to the Dutch system, even though my kids were in Ireland.

It just seems strange that this can't be automated in some way. Or is it policy that govt depts don't talk to each other or to revenue. And why not go straight as you say to the school, or direct to the employer? Seems strange to me.

hollandia

That's all well and good - if possibly untrue, but totally irrelevant to the way govt depts conduct their business.

Hitchcock

realistic1;10718266[B said:
]Maybe ordinary citizens needs advocates like travelers and immigrants have? [/B]I rarely hear of the local crims/work shy losing their benefits.
I was wondering how long it would take to get some sh!te like this, not very long, sums up P.ie really. :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies