The way we operate our child welfare payments

Hitchcock

Is it possible to find out how many non-nationals are in the country right now?
Is it possible as a tax payer to find out what percentage of the live register is made up of non-nationals?
Is it also possible to find out what percentage of the non-nationals on the live register have never been employed here?

Given that we are in a 200 billion hole I don't this it's unreasonable to start asking some questions. With a shrinking appetite for bonds and currently borrowing 2.5 billion in day to day spending - something has to give.
What's a 'non national'?

Is it possible as a tax payer to find out what percentage of the live register is made up of non-nationals?
Is it also possible to find out what percentage of the non-nationals on the live register have never been employed here?
You forget the question about the 'non nationals' that are working and paying tax, slipped your mind did it?

iven that we are in a 200 billion hole I don't this it's unreasonable to start asking some questions.
What about questions about corporate welfare, tax avoidance for the wealthy, low taxes on profits...are they relevant to overcoming the 200 billion hole or are you simply intent on having a pop at the 'non national' under the cover of your faux concern for the Irish economy? :roll:

OrderoftheDragon

Given that we are in a 200 billion hole I don't this it's unreasonable to start asking some questions. With a shrinking appetite for bonds and currently borrowing 2.5 billion in day to day spending - something has to give.
Keep driving down ordinary wages, that's the bosses/govts policy....

D

Deleted member 42179

This is just social services (or "SS" for short) being bureaucratic c*nts
to the poor as they were designed to do.

If you wrote to them about it, I expect, in a truly 100% honest world(!) you'd get this reply: :p

"It has come to our attention that some richer folk had to come in contact with an overflow of this very common and rather disgusting departmental behaviour while collecting their children's allowance payment. The nature of this payment means that unfortunately our targetted poor person methodical harassment program accidentally ensnared some better off people in the net. We realise you are not used to being treated like a piece of sh*t in this society and we apologise profusely and if you contact us on the sly, some special arrangement can probably be sorted out so you don't get dragged through the mire of bureaucratic sh*t and subjected to the same humiliating gauntlet like the poor scum also getting this payment are intentionally subjected to"

realistic1

I was wondering how long it would take to get some sh!te like this, not very long, sums up P.ie really. :roll:
Just because you want to keep your head in the sand does not mean the above is inacurrate.

I will give you an example, my wife receives a dole payment of 17 euro a week because I am working and earn 30k a year. I have 3 kids and 700 euro Mortgage. My wife gets hassel from the social services every week, about mickey mouse Interviews and courses she has to attend. She has been warned several times that her "payment" will be reviewed" if she does not take up and attend this and that. It cost us well in excess of 17 euro a week to comply with Social services instructions. The real work shy in this State never get questioned on their payments, as they have an avalanche of advocates shouting the odds for them.

riddles

we are spending 21 - 23 billion a year on social services. I would say as a percentage of GDP that must be the highest in the EU.
We are also spending over ten billion a year on interest payments from the bailout - this figures is only going to rise.
There will be upward pressure on social welfare in its present format due to increased number of pensioners and continued technology displacement of jobs. Something has to give unfortunately.

Franzoni

Just because you want to keep your head in the sand does not mean the above is inacurrate.

I will give you an example, my wife receives a dole payment of 17 euro a week because I am working and earn 30k a year. I have 3 kids and 700 euro Mortgage. My wife gets hassel from the social services every week, about mickey mouse Interviews and courses she has to attend. She has been warned several times that her "payment" will be reviewed" if she does not take up and attend this and that. It cost us well in excess of 17 euro a week to comply with Social services instructions. The real work shy in this State never get questioned on their payments, as they have an avalanche of advocates shouting the odds for them.
You might be better claiming FIS.....if you are only earning 30k a year you should get more than €17....

Watcher2

I was talking to a colleague today who in the course of the conversation told me that she had recently had her child welfare payments stopped. The reason given was that the dept had not received the letter signed or stamped by her employer. A letter which she had dutifully got stamped and signed. This has also happened to me in the past.

It begs the question - in this day and age, how is it that govt departments don't know who is working at a given time - given that we need our psri numbers in order to be taxed, or to draw social welfare payments - can't share this information effectively and instead rely on the post?

Seems to me that the system is causing unnecessary difficulties, that could be very simply addressed.
Oh dear GOD, don't invoke the data protection monsters. Government departments should in no way be allowed share information. Its evilnesseseses at its highest........or something.

ON THE ONE ROAD

I was talking to a colleague today who in the course of the conversation told me that she had recently had her child welfare payments stopped. The reason given was that the dept had not received the letter signed or stamped by her employer. A letter which she had dutifully got stamped and signed. This has also happened to me in the past.

It begs the question - in this day and age, how is it that govt departments don't know who is working at a given time - given that we need our psri numbers in order to be taxed, or to draw social welfare payments - can't share this information effectively and instead rely on the post?

Seems to me that the system is causing unnecessary difficulties, that could be very simply addressed.
Maybe call the union. Your colleague is working and legitimately dependent on the state at the same time. Work should pay.

Something needs to be done about private business scroungers supplementing their business of the tax payer. Some how the state always gets blamed. Neo liberalism is a fairy tale.

D

Deleted member 42179

we are spending 21 - 23 billion a year on social services. I would say as a percentage of GDP that must be the highest in the EU.
We are also spending over ten billion a year on interest payments from the bailout - this figures is only going to rise.
There will be upward pressure on social welfare in its present format due to increased number of pensioners and continued technology displacement of jobs. Something has to give unfortunately.
and at least half of that 21-23 billion likely goes on largely unnecessary administration, harassment of recipients and "policing" of the payments. The fact is ruling class begrudgery towards the less well off costs us dearly!

The dirty little secret in this country is that the real dole scroungers, the ones drawing the "superdole" are the well paid administrators clogging up our services with too much bureaucracy and their income linked friends, our TDs.

Much of the service could be streamlined and pushed online if we weren't so begrudging of the unemployed and their class.

In fact instigating a basic living wage in Ireland paid directly into people's bank accounts and in doing so, dispensing with whole swathes of bureaucracy would likely save us a lot of money

'orebel

ON THE ONE ROAD

and at least half of that 21-23 billion likely goes on largely unnecessary administration, harassment of recipients and "policing" of the payments. The fact is ruling class begrudgery towards the less well off costs us dearly!

The dirty little secret in this country is that the real dole scroungers, the ones drawing the "superdole" are the well paid administrators clogging up our services with too much bureaucracy and their income linked friends, our TDs.

Much of the service could be streamlined and pushed online if we weren't so begrudging of the unemployed and their class.

In fact instigating a basic living wage in Ireland paid directly into people's bank accounts and in doing so, dispensing with whole swathes of bureaucracy would likely save us a lot of money
unempoyment benifit is fair. Pay your taxes little or no questions asked.

Unemployment assistance is harsh on young men at home or married/co habiting working partner. latter possibly leads to one parent family fraud. Former get the ring around, dud back to work courses that don't get work. A false economy for education sector. Proper Back to education excellent, not taken advantage off enough, if the state needs to reorinate the economy this is a wheel it may be done on. but standards needed in the former dud schemes section.

One parent family is largely fair but changes being made as societies values change.

part time job initiative. On face value fair but open to big exploitation and incompetence by the employer. More a business dole. State supplementing business wages.

FIS fair but for ************************ sake again state supplementing wages.

maternity and paternity again largely down to the state.

Community welfare can be harsh but open to anyone. Emergency nature of it means rules are flexible and most likely what people are referring to when they talk about fraud in the system.

Between the jigs and the reels alot more on social welfare than the 9% signing on. A basic income is worth looking at but hypothetically if it existed next recession entire social welfare system could be shut off with a pen.

Agree the system is not sure what it is designed for. On face value it is to assist people who meet certain criteria. But a politician or a media hack wants an headline they point to something and it gets tinkered with. Over the decades its bent out of shape a good bit alright.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I know of a person, subject to vile harassment - and the harasser (well connected) got her welfare payments stopped a number of times

Systems that are not well designed (efficient, robust) are prone to all manners of problems

cyp

New Threads

Top Bottom