The Week in Politics, RTE1 10:35, Dec 5th

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Mary Coughlan reveals that TDs and Ministers will take further pay cuts in the budget...and Joan Burton wails on about fairness and such like...probably needs to have a more refined answer to the Gerry Adams question too, which is likely to do significant damage to the party's likely vote. Will Seany ask the hard questions? Will Coughlan indicate any interest in the big job? Will she indicate support for one of the declared contenders, Hanafin and Martin?

Tune in, and find out!

Luigi Vampa

Mary Coughlan reveals that TDs and Ministers will take further pay cuts in the budget...and Joan Burton wails on about fairness and such like...probably needs to have a more refined answer to the Gerry Adams question too, which is likely to do significant damage to the party's likely vote. Will Seany ask the hard questions? Will Coughlan indicate any interest in the big job? Will she indicate support for one of the declared contenders, Hanafin and Martin?

Tune in, and find out!
I hope Einstein Mary looks better that she did at the Donegal count

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
ich...is that Liuetenant Commander Worf's sister?

Bobert

I hope Einstein Mary looks better that she did at the Donegal count

I suspect the button is upside down so she can look at it and know who she's supposed to be supporting lest she congratulate Pearse.

PollPot

so what if they are taking a cut? why should they be praised for taking a cut down to a wage level they should be on in the first place? i would be more interested in politicians getting a decent flat wage, they are operating 24/7 after all, but there should then be full reform of Dail time i.e. 1 month summer recess, 2 weeks at Xmas, all expenses to be vouched without exception and full and fundamental reform of pensions, capped at a certain level and reduced if pensions from a previous job are already in place

will they do that? not on your life

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
so what if they are taking a cut? why should they be praised for taking a cut down to a wage level they should be on in the first place? i would be more interested in politicians getting a decent flat wage, they are operating 24/7 after all, but there should then be full reform of Dail time i.e. 1 month summer recess, 2 weeks at Xmas, all expenses to be vouched without exception and full and fundamental reform of pensions, capped at a certain level and reduced if pensions from a previous job are already in place
Well, they do need time to attend to local matters. If you want less holidays for TDs, you need to eliminate their need to perform a dual function - delivering to the nation in the Dáil, and delivering to the people who vote for them back in the bog. So we're back to arguing about a list system and stuff like that.

hugh o'neill

the week in politics tends to be tedious thats why its pre-recorded and broadcast when all sane people are doing other things.

you will have sean "the best paid under worked news presenter" O'Rourke (where was he when the imf bail out was revealed - yeap you guessed it on holidays - is that now 16 weeks holidays he takes) asking mickey mouse questions of the panel.

you will have on the programme

1. Sean "35 minutes a day five days aweek for 35 weeks of the year" O'Rourke on around €200,000.00

2. Mary "inheirted my seat" Coughlan on around €210,000 plus expenses
3.Joan "the socailist" burton on around €100,000.00 plus expenses
4. Some Fine Gael on around €100,000.00

Why not abolish the week in politics and replace it a programe were both rte presenters and politicians justify their pay and conditions

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
i thought thats what councillors were for
Should be - but local people vote for national politicians, so national politicians need to take special care of the local people or they won't get re-elected next time.

asset test

Should be - but local people vote for national politicians, so national politicians need to take special care of the local people or they won't get re-elected next time.
That is precisely how FF will get back in and sooner than we think.

They have been in power so long, they have everyone at their fingertips to do these local jobs and make them look great. And the providers of these jobs are FF lackeys too. Wonderful.

Mark my words local is vocal.

The party that will change that system gets my vote. Now who is that party? :lol:

PollPot

perfect, we have just identified that councillors are irrelevant, so lets get rid of them, should save a fortune

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
perfect, we have just identified that councillors are irrelevant, so lets get rid of them, should save a fortune
Really, actually, we should promote them - give them more power, and deprecate the power of national politicians at local level.

umbrey

shhh don't mention Sinn Fein and people might not vote for them.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
anyone know if Fergus was a Brutonite or a Kennyphile in the recent heave?

Sync

Seany getting testy with Joany...
Hard to bloody blame him. I know it's part of the job, but people so blatantly ignoring the question posed and just rabbiting on with their ad hominem speech must be infuriating.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Hard to bloody blame him. I know it's part of the job, but people so blatantly ignoring the question posed and just rabbiting on with their ad hominem speech must be infuriating.
Never seems to be a problem for Fianna Fáil

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies