• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The white-supremacist holiday of thanksgiving

Don Herron

Terrific new article out by journalism professor Robert Jensen on this sham celebration of genocide for native peoples. He really goes after successive white supremacist presidents such as Washington, Jefferson and Theodore Roosevelt and their racist views:

Simply put: Thanksgiving is the day when the dominant white culture (and, sadly, most of the rest of the non-white but non-indigenous population) celebrates the beginning of a genocide that was, in fact, blessed by the men we hold up as our heroic founding fathers.

The first president, George Washington, in 1783 said he preferred buying Indians' land rather than driving them off it because that was like driving "wild beasts" from the forest. He compared Indians to wolves, "both being beasts of prey, tho' they differ in shape."

Thomas Jefferson -- president #3 and author of the Declaration of Independence, which refers to Indians as the "merciless Indian Savages" -- was known to romanticize Indians and their culture, but that didn't stop him in 1807 from writing to his secretary of war that in a coming conflict with certain tribes, "[W]e shall destroy all of them."

As the genocide was winding down in the early 20th century, Theodore Roosevelt (president #26) defended the expansion of whites across the continent as an inevitable process "due solely to the power of the mighty civilized races which have not lost the fighting instinct, and which by their expansion are gradually bringing peace into the red wastes where the barbarian peoples of the world hold sway."

Roosevelt also once said, "I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth."

How does a country deal with the fact that some of its most revered historical figures had certain moral values and political views virtually identical to Nazis? Here's how "respectable" politicians, pundits, and professors play the game: When invoking a grand and glorious aspect of our past, then history is all-important. We are told how crucial it is for people to know history, and there is much hand wringing about the younger generations' lack of knowledge about, and respect for, that history.
Why exactly does America revere people whose views were the same as nazis?

No Thanks for Thanksgiving | Alternet

eoghanacht

:lol:

Hewson

Is there something in the drinking water 'round here?

southwestkerry

wha :?
supermes or somfink.

Don Herron

Interesting how some find genocide and its celebration a source of amusement, though why am I surprised? Isn't it amazing that a president as late as the 20th century could say the following:

"I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth."

You sound like my wife. She (an American) rails against Thanksgiving and the 'Manifest Destiny' sh1te every year around this time. This year she has lightened up a little, though, and is just happy to spend time with her family while she can before coming back here. I think it's the same for most Americans.

It's like Guy Fawkes night - nobody (apart from some people in Lewes) gives a crap about the historical origins, people just like to watch fireworks and burn stuff...

amsterdemmetje

Interesting how some find genocide and its celebration a source of amusement, though why am I surprised? Isn't it amazing that a president as late as the 20th century could say the following:
Is it Inguns yer talking about?

Niall996

Terrific new article out by journalism professor Robert Jensen on this sham celebration of genocide for native peoples. He really goes after successive white supremacist presidents such as Washington, Jefferson and Theodore Roosevelt and their racist views:

I don't think you'll get much mileage out of this. Try swapping the word Indian with Palestinian or Irish Catholics and see what happens as these are the only two recognised oppressed people on this site.

Last edited:

CookieMonster

Jesus.

statsman

Let's just be grateful they take the odd holiday.

Mountaintop

I think it's good that all US citizens come together to eat a meal that consists of 'white' and 'brown' meat....

It's all a load of symbollix...

EPluribusUnum

Is there something in the drinking water 'round here?
Not as defined by notion of "space". Instead ideology. Of the loony toons lefty variety. I particularly loved this:

The pattern would repeat itself across the continent until between 95 and 99 percent of American Indians had been exterminated and the rest were left to assimilate into white society or die off on reservations, out of the view of polite society.

Never mind, of course, that 90% of those who died, died from disease.

Also rather absurd that he even thinks that most Americans are thinking of pilgrims on Thanksgiving. Rather more are thinking of the traditional NFL game(s).

I'll leave the loony toons lefty crowd with the matter of from whence Thanksgiving originated:

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

William H. Seward,
Secretary of State

And so the irony is, of course, that Thanksgiving does concern American sin, specifically, the original sin of slavery and the punishment from Deity respecting the same. So one and all have some idea of that punishment, by way of comparison:

War - Deaths - Population

US Civil War - 625,000 - 31,433,00
WWII - 405,399 - 133,402,000

Ole Abe was otherwise fond of the meme, and so from his 2nd Inaugural Address:

If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

Ulster-Lad

Can we ZOO this now?

Don Herron

Can we ZOO this now?
Why? Sorry but I don't think you have even read the professor's article. And no offence, but he is far more likely than you to have a better education. Sure, his style may be a little polemical but there is no doubt that native Americans were subject to genocide. No doubt at all, so why is this "holiday" not open to criticism?