The wisdom of Danny Healey Rae, Michael's brother.

Ireniall

Are there many auld lads these days frequenting pubs and having just the 1 or 2 over the course of an evening. In the past you would hear about the publican dropping their best customers home (the alcoholics spending all their money in the pub 7 days a week). The limit is too confusing with this blood alcohol limit as most I guess would not really now how many units equate to the blood to alcohol mg limit.
True but it is well known how many pints you can have and the whole idea is to get it across that you can hardly have any and be safe but that one will be ok. Nearly no one is going to go out and have one drink. Anybody going out is going to be over the limit. This is just for the odd person who wants to join friends and family for one drink before driving them all home. These people are no danger to anyone. In the town where I live taxis are often not available since the crash so that these sort of solutions are handy and this low level tolerance further protects people from being over the limit the next morning

Ireniall

Showing your age now. That must have been some cheap crappy moped you were flogging off to poor lads who hadn't the money for anything better, it's not quite exploitation, but reasonably close.

Get yourself down to a dealer and have a look of what's presently on the market, nowdays you can't get away with shifting the trash you obviously were.
They were Goldwings and a few Ventures. I was already too old when we started importing them from Belgium. We maybe sold thirty of them. I never had bikes when I was young and I did venture out a couple of times on one and came back with me nerves in shreds. I had none of the natural control and there seemed to always be a feckn traffic jam or something and I'd be there having to do multiple take offs while trying to keep the buggering thing from falling over. The Grand Venture must have been made for Titans:(

paulp

What about them?

I'd prefer zero tolerance for those too, if that's the thrust of your question.
so, if caught breaking the speed limit, instead of 3 penalty points, you'd advocate a 3 month ban?

FunkyBoogaloo

so, if caught breaking the speed limit, instead of 3 penalty points, you'd advocate a 3 month ban?
I don't see why not.

3 months without driving is a small price to pay for putting other people's lives in danger.

paulp

I don't see why not.

3 months without driving is a small price to pay for putting other people's lives in danger.
fair enough
I think some people's resistance to Ross's proposal on the 3 month ban for low levels of alcohol is the proportionality of it.
ie. why ban for this on not speeding.

SeanieFitz

fair enough
I think some people's resistance to Ross's proposal on the 3 month ban for low levels of alcohol is the proportionality of it.
ie. why ban for this on not speeding.
It targets the wrong people. people who have 1/2 drinks will stay at home (knock on effect of isolation, depression, community decline) and the people who "chance" drinking 4/5/6 + drinks will still do that, until they are caught. Enforce the law as it is

Like it or not, agree or disagree, pubs are an important social outlet in this country, particularly in rural Ireland and they are much more than a place to have pint. Over 2,000 have closed in the last decade
Pubs in crisis as over 2,000 locals call last orders - Herald.ie

we will regret the demise of the pub, particularly the family run pub. Young people now drink in houses rather than pubs where measures are non existent, behaviour unregulated, supervision zero and (most importantly) boundaries are not set. People cannot distinguish between what is/is not acceptable behaviour. Also there is no "mix" of ages/backgrounds, if you drink in a pub you will have old and young, friends and strangers etc

Drink and publicans have been demonised in this country and that, imo, is a shame.

It is also hilarious to see tourism agencies, operators and even politicians use the "pub crack" as a selling point for tourism when most of them are empty/near empty for most of the week. Gas to see the expressions on tourists faces when they walk into a pub of a weeknight expecting banjos, bodhrans, fiddles, dance, crack, laughter etc and to be met with...........emptiness

blinding

It targets the wrong people. people who have 1/2 drinks will stay at home (knock on effect of isolation, depression, community decline) and the people who "chance" drinking 4/5/6 + drinks will still do that, until they are caught. Enforce the law as it is

Like it or not, agree or disagree, pubs are an important social outlet in this country, particularly in rural Ireland and they are much more than a place to have pint. Over 2,000 have closed in the last decade

we will regret the demise of the pub, particularly the family run pub. Young people now drink in houses rather than pubs where measures are non existent, behaviour unregulated, supervision zero and (most importantly) boundaries are not set. People cannot distinguish between what is/is not acceptable behaviour. Also there is no "mix" of ages/backgrounds, if you drink in a pub you will have old and young, friends and strangers etc

Drink and publicans have been demonised in this country and that, imo, is a shame.

It is also hilarious to see tourism agencies, operators and even politicians use the "pub crack" as a selling point for tourism when most of them are empty/near empty for most of the week. Gas to see the expressions on tourists faces when they walk into a pub of a weeknight expecting banjos, bodhrans, fiddles, dance, crack, laughter etc and to be met with...........emptiness
It is probably time to give the locals tax relief for forcing themselves down the Pub to entertain the tourists.... This is a more serious point than it may at first seem....

There is a social side to pubs ( in moderation of course )......

SeanieFitz

It is probably time to give the locals tax relief for forcing themselves down the Pub to entertain the tourists.... This is a more serious point than it may at first seem....

There is a social side to pubs ( in moderation of course )......
This is an interesting report, scary report and I would like if they did further analysis as to where was the alcohol consumed. Was it consumed in pubs or in houses/public areas.

Old Mr Grouser

You know what I mean, Mr G.

Don't drink and drive. Ever.
Yes, of course - BUT ...

I'm never happy with, "Don't drink and Drive".

I know that some of those people who'd campaigned for the breathalyzer in the UK didn't like it.

What they'd wanted was the breathalyzer plus a public-education campaign to hammer home the message that heavy drinkers should never be driving; whether they're drunk or sober.

These heavy drinkers are people with psychiatric problems and they're the wrong sort of people to be driving; even at times when they're 'dry' they're exceptionally likely to be involved in a serious accident.

The priority should be on identifying such people, and getting them off the road permanently, rather than scapegoating the person who's just had more than half a pint.

And again, the hope of those campaigners was that heavy drinkers would usually be put off the road by social pressures rather than the law; for example, that businesses would be careful not to employ heavy drinkers as drivers.

If only! :cry:

Last edited:

ganfadhb

Ross seems not to care about the fact that his proposals will result in the loss of livlihoods for some people and this without any convincing evidence that the new lower alcohol levels will save even one life.

Ross waffles on about this imagined unsubstantiated threat of the motorist with 50mg to 80mg of alcohol on board, while cyclists are being killed on our roads because of the unsafe design of our cycle paths and the lack of laws protecting cyclists from dangerous motorists, particularly the immediate daily threat from taxis.

Ross has done nothing to improve public transport -- other than make Bus Eireann workers lives more miserable --but is gung ho to penalise motorists who statistically present little or no threat to the safety of other road users.

Last edited:

paulp

I agree,

I think incentivising (tax break?) publicans to provide some form of taxi service to customers would be a good step

Also, (without going into the argument of when it will happen), self driving cars are literally just around the corner

automaticforthepeople

Be the hokey! Tis about time that someone held those little people accountable for the toil and trouble they've caused since 1922.

Danny will be ahead of Michael the next time there's an election in South Kerry.

Danny Healy-Rae and the Little People: Fairies to blame for problems on bad road, says TD - Independent.ie

The fairies were to blame also for his declaration of interests failing to include his licensed premises.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...-has-earned-8-7m-in-state-contracts-1.3179273

Last edited:

james toney

Danny Healy Rae begins summoning Two Of Every Animal To Kilgarvan.

automaticforthepeople

Danny Healey Rae's had a lousey week beyond in Dublin. Some foreign wan called Ophelia took him out off the front page of Kerry's Eye this week.
After giving the matter due consideration and 30 seconds of deep reflection, Danny has decided to go for the old reliable. Climate change. Sure there's no wan round Kilgarvan can remember back as far as 1740 only our Danny!

'There was rain for two years in the 1740s' - Danny Healy-Rae stands by climate change views - Independent.ie

If the churches knocked over by the wind had been built by Danny, you can be sure as certain as night follows day, that they would still be standing.

automaticforthepeople

That man is simply a gob************************e of the highest order.
None of your auld guff! Tis only jealous that you are, you with yer FF avatar, uh'd know all about them sort of things.

[video=youtube;lehZqNEizRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lehZqNEizRE[/video]

automaticforthepeople

Yerra Danny is in league with the Lord God himself. He's told the Dáil tonight that Hilary Clinton supported abarshun for childeren up to 8.5 months of pregnancy, and that "there is a God in this world" because she had not won the U.S. election.

Next sis Danny boy that Simon Harris' support for parents who bring the remains of wanted pregnancies back to Ireland in the boot of their motor car after terminashuns in England, saying that the child itself could hardly feel loved having been tirminated

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom