The wrong side of history - or PC gone MAD? Robert E Lee the latest to be torn down...

Catalpast

The powers that be in New Orleans USA have this week been pulling down statutes of famous Confederates in the city.

A statue of Gen Robert E Lee who commanded Confederate armies fighting the United States in the civil war, was taken down from atop a 60ft (18 meters)-high pedestal where it has been since 1884. It is the last monument removed by the city after a long and divisive battle over whether old South emblems represent racism or an honourable heritage.

TBH I think this is just plain dumb and worthy of the mind set of the more Looney fringe elements of the Taliban.

These men fought and well for what they believed in - the right of each American State to decide freely who it associated with and how it conducted its affairs.

That the CSA was an upholder of Slavery was of course wrong and reprehensible

- but it is a part of History now.

Tearing down History is never really a good idea...

If they really must then I hope these statues are given a new home....

Or do I hope for too much....?:?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/19/new-orleans-robert-e-lee-statue-removed-confederacy

PS George Washington was Slave Holder was he not - is he next on the Hit List?

owedtojoy

The powers that be in New Orleans USA have this week been pulling down statutes of famous Confederates in the city.

A statue of Gen Robert E Lee who commanded Confederate armies fighting the United States in the civil war, was taken down from atop a 60ft (18 meters)-high pedestal where it has been since 1884. It is the last monument removed by the city after a long and divisive battle over whether old South emblems represent racism or an honourable heritage.

TBH I think this is just plain dumb and worthy of the mind set of the more Looney fringe elements of the Taliban.

These men fought and well for what they believed in - the right of each American State to decide freely who it associated with and how it conducted its affairs.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/19/new-orleans-robert-e-lee-statue-removed-confederacy

George Washington commanded the armies of the Continental Congress in the War of INdependence that led to the birth of the United States.

Robert E Lee commanded the armies of the White Supremacist Confederate States of America, a negation of everything the United States stood for. In short, he was a traitor.

I do not see why the loyal US citizens of New Orleans should be forced to pass the statue of a traitor every day if here is a democratic decision made to remove it.

No more than the Irish should be forced to look at statues of Queen Victoria or Horatio Nelson in our capital city.

Last edited:

ruserious

I wouldn't be in favour of removing historical statues because of contemporary values (whether right or wrong) but at the end of the day, he led an army against the United States so it isn't surprising that the present day US citizens wish to remove a traitorous emblem.

owedtojoy

New Orleans are also removing memorials to teh people who deprived black citizens of the vote and who violently opposed civil rights for ex-slaves.

Show their statues be retained as well?

A postscript to this thread [on teh Confederate flag.]

Despite "The Age of Trump" progress is being made putting the Confederacy and Segregation into true context as White Supremacist revolutions.

New Orleans removes a tribute to ‘the lost cause of the Confederacy’ — with snipers standing by

The Battle of Liberty Place monument, which honors members of the Crescent City White League who died trying to overthrow the New Orleans government after the Civil War, was the first of four statues linked to the Confederacy that are set to be torn down in New Orleans.

D

Deleted member 45466

I thought that all the founding fathers were slave holders.

Another victory for the PC bedwetters I'm afraid.

I think they successfully lobbied to have a monument of the decalogue removed from a court house in Alabama 20 years ago. Apparently it violated the first.

silverharp

there are statues of Lenin in the US, should they be pulled down?

D

Deleted member 45466

I wouldn't be in favour of removing historical statues because of contemporary values (whether right or wrong) but at the end of the day, he led an army against the United States so it isn't surprising that the present day US citizens wish to remove a traitorous emblem.
Lee, a traitor?

There's some ambiguity surrounding its constitutional status, but arguably secession is not a traitorous act.

Herr Rommel

George Washing commanded the armies of the Continental Congress in the War of INdependence that led to the birth of the United States.

Robert E Lee commanded the armies of the White Supremacist Confederate States of America, a negation of everything the United States stood for. In short, he was a traitor.

I do not see why the loyal US citizens of New Orleans should be forced to pass the statue of a traitor every day if here is a democratic decision made to remove it.

No more than the Irish should be forced to look at statues of Queen Victoria or Horatio Nelson in our capital city.
You have a very very limited understanding of the American war of independence

Catalpast

George Washing commanded the armies of the Continental Congress in the War of INdependence that led to the birth of the United States.

Well when the War ended Robert E Lee was not treated as a Traitor indeed IIRC he took up an Academic position in Lexington where he is buried

He has been honoured in his own Country and the Government of the USA since his death in 1870

Yes fair points about Vikki & Horatio

- but neither of them was Irish

You might note that the Duke of Wellington still has monuments in the Phoenix Park and in Trim Co Meath

- he was born in Dublin and raised in Co Meath

No one is seriously thinking of removing them

- because he was on the wrong side of History....

Well Irish History anyway.

D

Deleted member 17573

The liberal mob are attempting to change the present and the future, and that is their right - so long as they are prepared to do so democratically and accept the verdict of the people. But they are not entitled to rewrite the past or to alter the facts of history.

RasherHash

Lee, a traitor?

There's some ambiguity surrounding its constitutional status, but arguably secession is not a traitorous act.
It's like Brexit being traitorous to the USE.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Well when the War ended Robert E Lee was not treated as a Traitor indeed IIRC he took up an Academic position in Lexington where he is buried
He has been honoured in his own Country and the Government of the USA since his death in 1870
In fact Ulysses S. Grant invited him to the White House when he was President and he accepted. The two men got along well, it seems.

Shermans ride south? Any statues of that murdering bastard about?
There are equestrian statues of Sherman in Washington D.C, Lancaster, Ohio (his birthplace) and Central Park, New York.

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies