• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Year Of The French.

HJ McCracken

I have heard that this is one the best historical fictions in print. I haven't read it yet and would value your opinions before I spend my hard earned cash.

mido

sadly the french lose, but connacht and mayo gets to be Ireland's first, and only true republic to date - book ends-good read

Little_Korean

Hm, well, I'm intrigued either way. Must track down a copy when I can and add it to my (already considerable) list of things to read.

GabhaDubh

sadly the french lose, but connacht and mayo gets to be Ireland's first, and only true republic to date - book ends-good read
Wexford had declared a Republic and had set up a Senate prior to this advent.

Boy M5

Sadly RTE are woeful when it comes to providing DVD's of past shows that were outstanding.

Might appear as a torrent somewhere.
Though I bought Strumpet City a few years back. How about Robert Kee's programme being released by BBC / RTÉ?

HJ McCracken

I downloaded half the torrent and couldn't get the rest. The owner might have taken it offline.

Catalpast

Pretty good but its quite an undertaking

Worth the effort though IMO

I did see the RTE series 1st though

Deep Blue

I have heard that this is one the best historical fictions in print. I haven't read it yet and would value your opinions before I spend my hard earned cash.
You heard right.

A brilliant historical novel. Thomas Flanagan tells the story from the POV of characters on both sides--an Irish rebel who's a hedge-school teacher, John Moore ( President of Connaught and brother of George), and a young officer in Lord Cornwallis' British army who's writing his memoirs in his old age.

It's not that difficult to read as you can 'dip in' to sections of the narrative of each of these, and not lose the theme.

The YOTF was filmed in Killala, Co. Mayo--not a patch on the book--a big disappointmrnt IMO, almost as bad as Barry Lyndon.

Nedz Newt

Thomas Pakenham's "Year of Liberty" also highly recommended (non-fiction)

Hitch 22

The French were a shower of c*nts.

After their defeat at Ballinamuck they were taken captive and taken by barge to Dublin.

They claimed the Irish hid their weapons and uniforms in bogholes before returning for a second consignment, sold their ammunition for whiskey and ran away at the first shot.

They vowed they would never return again to a country with neither wine nor discipline.

The Irish were described as people who lived on roots, whiskey and lying.

Quebecoise

After their defeat at Ballinamuck they were taken captive and taken by barge to Dublin.

They claimed the Irish hid their weapons and uniforms in bogholes before returning for a second consignment, sold their ammunition for whiskey and ran away at the first shot.

They vowed they would never return again to a country with neither wine nor discipline.

If the French were such a shower of c*unts then why didn't the British execute them like they did the Irish?

Oh that's right the British didn't execute people from countries they respected, like the French or Americans (Eamon De Valera). But Paddies were treacherous b-astards and deserved everything they got.

The fact that the British wouldn't execute frogs and yanks who aided the Irish was probably the biggest insult of all.

Catalpast

If the French were such a shower of c*unts then why didn't the British execute them like they did the Irish?

Oh that's right the British didn't execute people from countries they respected, like the French or Americans (Eamon De Valera). But Paddies were treacherous b-astards and deserved everything they got.

The fact that the British wouldn't execute frogs and yanks who aided the Irish was probably the biggest insult of all.
The French executed Emigres captured in uniform fighting with the British in Brittany in 1794 IIRC

Little_Korean

Similar thing with the Spanish after Kinsale, complaining that the Irish were hopelessly primitive in their warfare, evidently forgetting little things like the Yellow Ford and the fact the Nine Years War dragged on for as long as its name.

To be fair, leadership mismanagement had its role to play at the debacle that was Kinsale but by all accounts, the Spanish weren't much better, but thought to solely blame their allies afterwards for the mess. So much for the spic n' mic alliance.

The Field Marshal

A suggestion.

Read the book and let your mind visualise it.
The Year of the French IINM was a gigantic RTE production .

One would expect that a dvd of the massive and extensive material produced would be available.