- Nov 17, 2012
I recently noted the appearance of one of these things outside a school in Blanchardstown Dublin 15
It claims to promote Diversity & 'Interculturalism' (whatever that means!)
The Yellow Flag Programme is a fantastic initiative which seeks to bring the issues of interculturalism, equality and diversity into the whole-school programme and allows schools to apply them to the day to day running of the school. Moreover, Yellow Flag also promotes the idea of parents and the community working in conjunction with students and educators in order to ensure that the benefits of the programme are not just confined to the classroom.
Aodhan O'Riordan Labour Party TD
Steps of the Yellow Flag Programme
Now while I have no time for any kid being bullied or discriminated in or out of school because of their background
- but I do have a problem with the political indoctrination of young Irish children into thinking that the Irish are just another 'identity' amongst many in their own Country
After all if a Black child from Africa is encouraged to take Pride in being Black and African
- then surely a White child from Ireland should be encouraged to take Pride in being White and Irish?
I seriously think BTW that the 2nd of these will never ever happen under this 'Programme'
Surely a better approach would be to have a good Anti Bullying oversight in a school
- to ensure kids don't get picked on or left out of school activities because of who they are
- and encourage each pupil to have Respect for themselves
- and for their fellow classmates and Teachers
- IMO its best to leave Politics and Cultural Indoctrination at the School Door!