TheLiberal.ie sued for ‘plagiarism’

statsman

A story to watch. It seems that <irony> highly respected liberal news site </irony> TheLiberal.ie, run by Louth-based right-wing commentator Leo Sherlock, stands accused of 'freecycling' court reports produced by the CCC Nuacht agency.

As ever, the presumption of innocence holds, even in civil cases, so do not try to say anything that might get deleted 'for legal reasons'.

Reporters sue news outlet over

Betson

An article in The Dublin Inquirer last June noted the use of quotes from the mother of a boy who was rescued after falling into the River Lee in Cork in two articles on TheLiberal.ie.

Kelly O’Brien, a Cork Evening Echo reporter, has accused the website of using exact quotes from her interviews without credit. The journalist said that she did not get any response when she queried this and is considering her own legal action.
Taken from Link in OP, nothing t do with this case specifically , but should such quotes from people such the mother in the case above be the property of the reporter/paper they are given to? I assume the mother was not paid for the interview. Thus once they are in the public domain they should be open to everyone to use.

Clanrickard

A story to watch. It seems that <irony> highly respected liberal news site </irony> TheLiberal.ie, run by Louth-based right-wing commentator Leo Sherlock, stands accused of 'freecycling' court reports produced by the CCC Nuacht agency.

As ever, the presumption of innocence holds, even in civil cases, so do not try to say anything that might get deleted 'for legal reasons'.

Reporters sue news outlet over

Could not happen to a nicer bunch.

statsman

Taken from Link in OP, nothing t do with this case specifically , but should such quotes from people such the mother in the case above be the property of the reporter/paper they are given to? I assume the mother was not paid for the interview. Thus once they are in the public domain they should be open to everyone to use.
Published interviews are almost always protected by copyright, and quoting the comments made during the course of an interview without permission can only be done up to the limits of fair use.

Orbit v2

Hadn't heard of the site until this weekend. It's not on to just lift content like that without paying for it.

good dog

Theliberal.ie must be getting big enough to be seen as a problem by the other rags.

The_SR

Theliberal.ie must be getting big enough to be seen as a problem by the other rags.
I doubt it. The story in question was printed in the papers. And it's a wire service taking the action.

I have seen tweets from journalists to the site asking where to send the bill for what that claimed was a straight lift with no credit given.

Cellachán Chaisil

That's not to mention the fact that the liberal regularly distorts news, the "african riots" on Henry street, or the complete collapse of the Yes campaign in the third debate, to name but two examples.

Last edited:

statsman

I doubt it. The story in question was printed in the papers. And it's a wire service taking the action.

I have seen tweets from journalists to the site asking where to send the bill for what that claimed was a straight lift with no credit given.
It's an odd thing, isn't it? I'd expect Conservatives to be hot on property rights.

Jack Walsh

Pity, at least the stuff they might be plagiarising is likely to be truthful.

Having to fall back on their own stuff is not likely to increase the truth content

statsman

Pity, at least the stuff they might be plagiarising is likely to be truthful.

Having to fall back on their own stuff is not likely to increase the truth content
A very good point for the defence.

Skypeme

Published interviews are almost always protected by copyright, and quoting the comments made during the course of an interview without permission can only be done up to the limits of fair use.
Having raised the matter through your OP perhaps you could offer an opinion on what constitutes "fair use" in the quote I have highlighted.

PeaceGoalie

The Indo used to be very free and easy with the work of others. There is, of course, a different agenda here and that is to nail the Sherlocks. I had never heard of the site and have no interest in it until it trended on Twitter. That said, having scam draws for cars is low - but a practice that is widespread as Sinn Fein et al could attest, what with their POW Cumann Cabhrach draws back in the day

statsman

Having raised the matter through your OP perhaps you could offer an opinion on what constitutes "fair use" in the quote I have highlighted.
Any short extract for the purpose of commenting on what was said. Simply reproducing bits of the interview without comment would not be covered.

DaveM

Such an ironically named website...

The Indo used to be very free and easy with the work of others. There is, of course, a different agenda here and that is to nail the Sherlocks. I had never heard of the site and have no interest in it until it trended on Twitter. That said, having scam draws for cars is low - but a practice that is widespread as Sinn Fein et al could attest, what with their POW Cumann Cabhrach draws back in the day
The Indo had the clout to be able to do that. Like it or not it is the biggest show in town, and if you're a stringer writing for another paper there's not much you can do if they lifted an article on you; not if you ever hope to work there, that is.

Skypeme

Any short extract for the purpose of commenting on what was said. Simply reproducing bits of the interview without comment would not be covered.
I consider there is a thin line between a "short extract" (from an interview?) and "reproducing bits" in order to support a story. Perhaps the problem here is one of attribution. ie, simply means telling your readers where the information in your story comes from, as well as who is being quoted. Journalists regularly use information from sources, paraphrased or quoted directly.

I also consider that perhaps there is another reason for what appears to be a concerted effort to 'take down' TheLiberal.ie.

IT report states: "TheLiberal.ie, a website run by Leo Sherlock, a right-wing commentator based in Louth.....Mr Sherlock, who has appeared on RTE discussing his political views and support of Donald Trump......".

On both counts there are those who would see this as sufficient reason to pursue Sherlock by any means possible, including through the courts. The NUJ would obviously be in the front of the line to silence a right-wing independent non-MSM outlet.

The IT report points in that direction when they quote "Séamus Dooley, Irish secretary of the National Union of Journalists, who urged people not to read the site and accused it of stealing work."

The_SR

I consider there is a thin line between a "short extract" (from an interview?) and "reproducing bits" in order to support a story. Perhaps the problem here is one of attribution. ie, simply means telling your readers where the information in your story comes from, as well as who is being quoted. Journalists regularly use information from sources, paraphrased or quoted directly.

I also consider that perhaps there is another reason for what appears to be a concerted effort to 'take down' TheLiberal.ie.

IT report states: "TheLiberal.ie, a website run by Leo Sherlock, a right-wing commentator based in Louth.....Mr Sherlock, who has appeared on RTE discussing his political views and support of Donald Trump......".

On both counts there are those who would see this as sufficient reason to pursue Sherlock by any means possible, including through the courts. The NUJ would obviously be in the front of the line to silence a right-wing independent non-MSM outlet.

The IT report points in that direction when they quote "Séamus Dooley, Irish secretary of the National Union of Journalists, who urged people not to read the site and accused it of stealing work."
Conspiraloon stuff. If the allegations are true what other line could a union take? There are loads of right wing organs out there, independent and not so. They run themselves well and that is that.

New Threads

Most Replies