TheLiberal.ie sued for ‘plagiarism’

Skypeme

Conspiraloon stuff. If the allegations are true what other line could a union take? There are loads of right wing organs out there, independent and not so. They run themselves well and that is that.
But not as 'right-wing' as TheLiberal.ie, apparently.

darkhorse

Any short extract for the purpose of commenting on what was said. Simply reproducing bits of the interview without comment would not be covered.

Happens on almost every page on this site and no one seems to mind...
I don't know/read that site but I get the impression this is more of a personal grudge against the owner perhaps because of his political views

statsman

I don't know/read that site but I get the impression this is more of a personal grudge against the owner perhaps because of his political views
No self-respecting journalist would bother with this kip.

Skypeme

Of course it is, among some elements of the media the site is considered to be part of an Alt-right racist conspiracy:

"Meanwhile, Séamus Dooley, the secretary of the Irish branch of the National Union of Journalists, has condemned some of the reporting on the St Stephen’s Day incidents as “extremely concerning”
He said he felt that some of it “was driven by a particular political agenda.
“It was provocative, as if designed to elicit racist responses, and at which it succeeded. ”

Don't know if he includes the Indo or the Mirror in the "particular political agenda" but he has Sherlock' site in his sights for now.

Watch this space indeed.

Last edited:

Analyzer

I consider there is a thin line between a "short extract" (from an interview?) and "reproducing bits" in order to support a story. Perhaps the problem here is one of attribution. ie, simply means telling your readers where the information in your story comes from, as well as who is being quoted. Journalists regularly use information from sources, paraphrased or quoted directly.

I also consider that perhaps there is another reason for what appears to be a concerted effort to 'take down' TheLiberal.ie.

IT report states: "TheLiberal.ie, a website run by Leo Sherlock, a right-wing commentator based in Louth.....Mr Sherlock, who has appeared on RTE discussing his political views and support of Donald Trump......".

On both counts there are those who would see this as sufficient reason to pursue Sherlock by any means possible, including through the courts. The NUJ would obviously be in the front of the line to silence a right-wing independent non-MSM outlet.

The IT report points in that direction when they quote "Séamus Dooley, Irish secretary of the National Union of Journalists, who urged people not to read the site and accused it of stealing work."
The NUJ does not like competition. Ever poor quality competition is something that is problrmstic for the NUJ, because the NUJ's standards are a joke.

Plagiarism is rife in the Irish media.

Even more widespread is deliberate refusal to investigate snd report on scandals.

Statsman is moved to critique a fringe website of no relevance to most people.

Presumably when the main media organs tell lies, statsman will be outraged....

statsman

The NUJ does not like competition. Ever poor quality competition is something that is problrmstic for the NUJ, because the NUJ's standards are a joke.

Plagiarism is rife in the Irish media.

Even more widespread is deliberate refusal to investigate snd report on scandals.

Statsman is moved to critique a fringe website of no relevance to most people.

Presumably when the main media organs tell lies, statsman will be outraged....
I know I shouldn't bother, but the OP has nothing to do with truth or falsehood in the news, it has to do with accusations of intellectual property theft.

Mercurial

Hopefully he has enough money to defend these accusations in court, given how much he apparantly spends on iPads.

The_SR

Of course it is, among some elements of the media the site is considered to be part of an Alt-right racist conspiracy:

"Meanwhile, Séamus Dooley, the secretary of the Irish branch of the National Union of Journalists, has condemned some of the reporting on the St Stephen’s Day incidents as “extremely concerning”
He said he felt that some of it “was driven by a particular political agenda.
“It was provocative, as if designed to elicit racist responses, and at which it succeeded. ”

Don't know if he includes the Indo or the Mirror in the "particular political agenda" but he has Sherlock' site in his sights for now.

Watch this space indeed.
So the nuj shouldn't have an opinion on alleged intellectual property infringement or blatant falsehoods being printed?

statsman

TheLiberal.ie ‏@TheLiberal_ie 3m3 minutes ago

We're currently completing a scheduled necessary technical update and will be back online when it's completed. Thank you.

PeaceGoalie

I see he says certain individuals would be hearing from his solicitor. I'm still awaiting that call from the last two times he threatened to sue me.
Doing a Gerry Adams on you

automaticforthepeople

I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation for all of this however nobody but Leo is interested in publishing it

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies