Then and Now - Defining quotes from boom to bust - please contribute

alonso

So I've been thinking, what with certain threads evoking some memories, what have been the most salient, critical and defining speeches, statements or quotes that have been made over the last few years. What interviews, what Prime Times, Q&A debates do you remember from the last few years that seem absolutely incredible now.

Whether it be Bertie's suicide joke, Vincent Browne vs PJ Mara, Eoghan Harris on the LLS, McWilliams' predictions, I would like you to, if possible, post youtube or audio links to them on this thread. I think, with all of your memories, we could really put together a catalogue of the bullsh1t and lies fed to us over the years

I'll start the ball rolling, courtesy of our very own King Kane

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edVhVEEpudE]YouTube - The moment it all ended for Bertie[/ame]

Please add at your leisure

GDPR

"We should send the hospital ship"

Enda Kenny TD, trying to leadership noises, someone had told him "cometh the hour, cometh the ship", it turned out he had misheard.

He3

Brian Lenihan is a one man fountain of such quotes.

Here is one from January 2009 when he nationalised Anglo:

Anglo's assets exceed its liabilities by four billion euro.

zerodayronin

D

Dylan2010

around 2001/2 the head of the NTMA complained that the "London" based ratings agengies wouldnt give Ireland a AAA rating, his quote was something to the effect that Ireland will have paid off the national debt before they give us the AAA rating. Tosser!

ibis

The term 'property ladder'.

bobbysands81

Great thread Alonso!!!

Brian Lenihan “We are not rushing into the banks without knowing precisely what the position is in those banks” – Nov 20 2008 - Irish Times

libertarian-right

Brendan Burgess, an article in 2007

"I would invest in AIB or Bank of Ireland rather than putting money on deposit with them."

bobbysands81

Morgan Kelly calling it right 2 years ago.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CCxv2ueiQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Morgan Kelly PrimeTime 20080930[/ame]

Sham96

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S4DP1Se-mE]YouTube - Why invest in Bulgaria[/ame]

sport02

Brian Lenihan "the cheapest bank bail out in the world" "so far"

Bertie Ahern "I was the cutest and most cunning of them all"

Blarneystone

Can someone tell me where the f..... are de ffin fundamentals now !!!

cowen bertie and the ff spin machine brainwashed us with de ffin fundamentals

not a peep about them now cos the ffin fundamentals are fecked

lying toerags the lot of them.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
"If I have it, I'll spend it" Charlie McCreevy.

Interesting to read back over a review of his time as Finance Minister written in 2005:-Budget Ireland 2006, Irish Budget News

Some quotes from it:-
IT 2005 said:
What made his gamble [with the public finances] so reckless was how real the risks of global recession were. For some time serious imbalances have existed internationally. These must inevitably unwind. Had they done so suddenly while spending was so wildly out of control, it could well have been back to a 1980s future of unemployment and stagnation.
IT 2005 said:
But Mr McCreevy not only gambled with national prosperity, he repeatedly failed in his duty to ensure that the money given him in taxes was not squandered

Cassandra Syndrome

This is an astonishing short video covering clips over the last 5 years of current analysis and forecasts from Austrian School economist Peter Schiff V Federal Reserve Chairman (and still) Ben Bernanke.

Shocking stuff

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5sDKwMP6Pc]YouTube - Bernanke was wrong while Peter Schiff was right[/ame]

New Threads

Most Replies