There are 4 TDs in the Dail chamber

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
There are just four of the 166 democratically elected members of the Dail in the chamber at the moment, Ministers Eamon O Cuiv, and Tony Kileen, Tommy Broughan (Lab) and Michael Ring (FG).

Four.

Is our lower house relevant any more?

sport02

This along with the goverment not holding the bi-elections, cleary demonstrates, we do not need 166 TD'S.
Get rid of 50 of them, 50 less salaries and expenses to pay.

stripey cat

Most TD's get on with work while watching the chamber on the inhouse TV. The days of having to be in the actual chamber to hear debates are long past.

The whole system is not fit for purpose, and personally, I don't want my TDs sitting all day in a chamber, listening to scripts written by civil servants and party handlers.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
some might say that a TDs job involves more than just sitting in the chamber.

I say fire all our TDs and replace them with a single sock puppet, because

1. it would be cheaper
2. I like dramatic statements
3. I like sock puppets.

Chrisco

This along with the goverment not holding the bi-elections, cleary demonstrates, we do not need 166 TD'S.
Get rid of 50 of them, 50 less salaries and expenses to pay.
Reduce the size of the Dáil to 100, and we'd still have a ratio of people per TD much lower than our nearest neighbours, where there are currently calls to reduce the HoC by more than the 50 proposed...

In an era of mass media and high-speed communication you no more need 1 TD per 30k of population than you need driving goggles and gloves when you get a licence.

Fubsss

If TD's aren't present for Dail sessions, do they have to account for where they were instead? In writing? Curious to know.

Gobuchul

some might say that a TDs job involves more than just sitting in the chamber.

I say fire all our TDs and replace them with a single sock puppet, because

1. it would be cheaper
2. I like dramatic statements
3. I like sock puppets.
I dislike your sock puppet idea and shall set up my glove puppet party imediately. Our slogan will be "were not sock puppets".

sport02

Reduce the size of the Dáil to 100, and we'd still have a ratio of people per TD much lower than our nearest neighbours, where there are currently calls to reduce the HoC by more than the 50 proposed...
Look at Australia, they have five times our population and 16 less deputies.
But wil TD'S vote to reduce the numbers in the Dail.

Red_93

There are just four of the 166 democratically elected members of the Dail in the chamber at the moment, Ministers Eamon O Cuiv, and Tony Kileen, Tommy Broughan (Lab) and Michael Ring (FG).

Four.

Is our lower house relevant any more?
To be fair Dave, a lot of TDs would be in their offices, where they have TVs with which they can tune into the Dáil and committees.

spotty

I think this is great news. It's a great example of what Spotty calls "Spotty's Rule".

The greater the number of politicians gathered in any one place, at any one time, the greater the chance of unspeakable catastrophe being wrought upon that location.

So, all in all, this stat of yours, David, is music to Spotty's big elephant ears.

firefly123

I dislike your sock puppet idea and shall set up my glove puppet party imediately. Our slogan will be "were not sock puppets".
Replacing muppets with puppets is a retrograde step in my opinion. We can surely get some monkeys out of Dublin zoo. Then appoint senior civil servants to put policy documents on the wall and get the monkeys to throw darts at them. We enact the monkey dart policies and hey presto! We turn a corner! I believe this is no less than a call to patriotic action!

Rural

I will vote for the Muppet Party... Oh yeh, we have a few of them already!!!

firefly123

Ps if some of my country brethren think the above policy is too Dublincentric we can appoint monkeys from fota wildlife park and keep Jackie Healy Rae

I am opposed to this whole 'puppetry' idea...unless I am the puppet master...Wah hah hah hah..sounds of evil laughter fading into the background.

FakeViking

Maybe we need a leader with reforming zeal.

Like ...

hmmmm ...

let's see ...

I wonder who ...

Well the last one in reformed the lunch menu!

Popular Threads

Most Replies