There are three workers for every one Irish building job

PBP voter

There are three workers for every one Irish building job · TheJournal.ie

According to Indeed economist Mariano Mamertino, there are still three workers to every one job in the building sector.
He added that it is mainly carpenters, electricians and plumbers competing for the limited roles available.
“While there is clear evidence of growth in the construction sector, our data gives rise to concern that the acceleration is not happening quickly enough,” he said.

Seems to me that there are too many tradesmen about.

So much for the talk of skills shortage.
http://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/skills-gaps-threatens-construction-bounceback-34608457.html

Thoughts?

'orebel

Last edited:

silverharp

maybe they aren't vey good, I recently heard about a carpenter in Dublin who while working like a demon is well in to 6 figures.

Franzoni

Tradesmen cannot be got at the moment and the industry is only beginning to ramp up again.
I had a few offers last year and can't say i wasn't tempted so watch this space....

PBP voter

I had a few offers last year and can't say i wasn't tempted so watch this space....
Are you working in another industry these days?

'orebel

Mechanical is paying the same as electrical now and are due 2 more rises this year I think. Keep an eye on things.

Franzoni

Are you working in another industry these days?

Yes..

The upside is less arseholes and people who don't know what they are talking about trying to get you to cut corners......

The downside is the money isn't as steady but i'm at a stage now where i can get by on less to an extent....

Franzoni

Mechanical is paying the same as electrical now and are due 2 more rises this year I think. Keep an eye on things.
Turned down a job before the pudding ..

Worked with both of them elsewhere before they went solo and knew it would end in heartbreak down the road...

Thanks for the heads up....

Fractional Reserve

Tradesmen cannot be got at the moment and the industry is only beginning to ramp up again.

Also hardly any apprentices have been trained over the past 10 years
They may not be able to be got in Dublin and the other cities but its no problem in rural areas

patslatt

There are three workers for every one Irish building job · TheJournal.ie

Seems to me that there are too many tradesmen about.

So much for the talk of skills shortage.
Skills gaps 'threatens construction bounceback' - Independent.ie

Thoughts?
FAST TRACK FOR SMALL BUILDERS

Minister Coveney's fast tracking of big housing projects to Bord Pleanala avoids vexatious and frivolous planning objections by NIMBY home owners whom the big city councils pander to in house building red tape.

But that leaves the small builders still facing red tape in smaller housing projects which could be built efficiently and cheaply in small sites within big cities. The only way to fast track these projects is to remove planning permission processes from big city councils by centralising planning in the Dept of the Environment. However, local planning offices should be kept on for local input into planning decisions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies