There is a call for Ireland's Call

Hibernophile

I find it most upsetting to see Ireland's Call being criticised by those who think that the Soldier's Song should be the only anthem representing the Ireland rugby team. Granted, it may not have the gravitas and divine ecstacy of Nessun Dorma, but Coulter deserves huge praise for composing a song that represents the people from "four proud provinces of Ireland". I doubt there are more than a handful of Unionists who contribute to this website, but I would love to see their views expressed. I have some connections north of the border with people of a moderate unionist persuasion, and they are, to a man, very fond of I.C. Recently, I was at a funeral near Lisburn and was struck by how many of the kids attending the aftermath in the local hotel were wearing Ireland and Ulster jerseys. But down here, I sense a deep sectarian bigotry on the part of those who want AMhran na Bfiann or nothing. Who are these people? Are they genuine rugby fans? Has rugby been part of the tapestry of their lives, as it has with mine? Surely it is only a small minority that holds this warped view of a genuine attempt to come up with words that truly represent both traditions on this island?

meriwether

have some connections north of the border with people of a moderate unionist persuasion, and they are, to a man, very fond of I.C.
Its dirge.
It may be necessary dirge due to our complicated political shenanigans, but its dirge nonetheless.

Hibernophile

Although I am inclined to agree, my topic is less about whether or not the SS is suitable, but more about why it has to be the SOLE anthem representing two very different traditions.

meriwether

Hibernophile said:
Although I am inclined to agree, my topic is less about whether or not the SS is suitable, but more about why it has to be the SOLE anthem representing two very different traditions.
They aren't very different.

The notion that Billy from Rathcoole has more in common with Johnny from Birmingham than Paddy from Poleglass is ludicrous in the extreme.

Unless Transubstantion and Consubstantion amount to 'very different traditions'.

In every other civilised country in the world, it doesn't.

However, I acknowledge that in the twisted vacumn that many in the North operate, this sort of nonsense with symbols and songs is important, so it has to be tolerated.

JDLK

Just play Irelands Call, I like SS but you have to admit that IC is alot more in keeping with the whole unity movement.

Plus its starting to look weird playing 2 different songs at matches, and with call for the Britsh Anthem to be played aswell it'll be like some kind of mini concert before each game

Aindriu

pauriceenjack said:
The soilders song is a bit barbaric
So is GSTQ - read all the verses!

Leftfemme22

pauriceenjack said:
How about a new flag as well. Green with Harp
WTF?

There is no f*cking way you are a member of FF, even the gombeen cutehoor element of the party would never denounce the flag.

Leftfemme22

pauriceenjack said:
we had a flag before the tricolour
Yeah, its commonly known as the butchers apron

Leftfemme22

pauriceenjack said:
no not that one. Green Flag with Harp.
Thats the flag of Leinster.

It was used in an unofficial capacity as a flag to represent Ireland as was St. Patricks Cross. Both were acceptable variances in the eyes of the British Government as both conveyed British power in Ireland.

Since the Act of Union the Official flag was the Union Jack until 1922.

Luimnioch

Don't be deceived by this Paraiceenjack. He has shown on numerous occasions his detest for all things Irish, and also professed his desire for Ireland to join Britain.
It is the unionist trick of the reform movement. The trick is to appear as one of us, then to appear as the voice of reason amongst us, to get us to rethink our strange Irish ways. They are always found out in the end.
Don't be fooled.

Luimnioch

Don't be deceived by this Paraiceenjack. He has shown on numerous occasions his detest for all things Irish, and also professed his desire for Ireland to join Britain.
It is the unionist trick of the reform movement. The trick is to appear as one of us, then to appear as the voice of reason amongst us, to get us to rethink our strange Irish ways. They are always found out in the end.
Don't be fooled.

Luimnioch

Don't be fooled.

pauriceenjack

Luimnioch said:
Don't be fooled.
no not ireland joining britain but Ireland to become the dominant power in the British Isles,and if that means expanding so be it

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies