'There will be two big parties in Ireland, FF will not be one of them'

parentheses

So Eamon O'Cuiv has come out strongly against the proposed history-making coalition between FG and FF. In a Dail speech, he warned that Ireland will have two big political parties in the future, but one of them will not be Fianna Fáil.

O'Cuiv obviously fears that FF will now be squeezed between FG and Sinn Fein, with rural independents also taking support from the party.

It is striking that a senior FF politician can be so pessimistic about the future of his party. Former Fianna Fail deputy leader Eamon O Cuiv and Green Party candidate Saoirse McHugh to vote against programme for Government

neiphin

:)🤞

neiphin

O'Cuiv's analysis is spot on I think
The Shinners will form the next government - probably Ireland's first left wing coalition
FG will be the second largest party
FF will lucky if they even come third
FF could be the turd biggest party by the end of next week 🤞🤞

myrak

FF refusing to even talk with SF after the election result came in was a mistake given their closeness in seats won.

Some ‘nevers’ it seems, are more never than others - ‘FF will never go into govt with FG‘ wasn’t a never after all.

tippman24

Have been a FF supporter all my life and i have never been as low about the future of the party. I am of the belief that the Greens will vote against the deal and cause another general election in the autumn with FG and SF being 1 and 2 in seats won. Need a leadership change immediately.

Uganda

Have been a FF supporter all my life and i have never been as low about the future of the party. I am of the belief that the Greens will vote against the deal and cause another general election in the autumn with FG and SF being 1 and 2 in seats won. Need a leadership change immediately.
I think FF Vote will be eaten into by FG in middle class areas, particularly in Dublin.

and in rural areas will be eaten into by Sinn Fein.

and something similar will happen to the greens who in an autumn election would be annihilated

but I dont think a leadership change would do much for ff -unless it was to take them into govt now with sf.

seanof

My people were always FF supporters, however from the time I became polically aware, my leanings were towards SF. I felt SF reflected the founding principles of FF and the Irish Republic more closely than did FF itself. However I share your disappointment in the current sorry condition of FF. There are still many decent Republicans at the grassroots but only a handful in senior positions in the Party. Éamon Ó Cuív is one of those.

Uganda

My people were always FF supporters, however from the time I became polically aware, my leanings were towards SF. I felt SF reflected the founding principles of FF and the Irish Republic more closely than did FF itself. However I share your disappointment in the current sorry condition of FF. There are still many decent Republicans at the grassroots but only a handful in senior positions in the Party. Éamon Ó Cuív is one of those.
eamon o cuiv is the Irish version of Jacob Rees mogg

an eccentric throwback to a long forgotten age

Peppermint

I think, if you want FF to survive, your best hope is the Greens causing a very early election.
If FG/Ff goes 5 years why would you any longer treat FF/FG as different parties? One will subsume the other, FFG or FGF or whatever you want to call it, is the only logical conclusion from this much belated marriage...

SuirView

New party FG/FF name?
Fine Fail I don't see working?
But as FF and FG are being United, how about
FU?
And you vote for?
I love this site!

ON THE ONE ROAD

unfair to o cuiv. last of a kind more like.

one of the few not to go in for polished sound bites. When on the media his given analysis is always considered. The younger FFers sound generic they should attempt to learn from him before o cuiv does retire and become part of a forgotten age.

Catapulta

We will now it seems have a Taoiseach as Head of Government whose Party has a share of the overall vote that is barely above 10%!

Is this unprecedented in a western democracy?

His credibility will be rock bottom IMO and I just cant see him lasting for more than 12 months in the job

- he will be a very weak 'leader' beholden to interest groups

- who will exploit their ability to topple him to the full...

de valera's' giddy goat

We will now it seems have a Taoiseach as Head of Government whose Party has a share of the overall vote that is barely above 10%!

Is this unprecedented in a western democracy?

His credibility will be rock bottom IMO and I just cant see him lasting for more than 12 months in the job

- he will be a very weak 'leader' beholden to interest groups

- who will exploit their ability to topple him to the full...
Just as incredible as supporters of a party that got 24% of the vote saying they won the election.

jmcc

Wasn't the political infrastructure of FF demolished to give gurriers in FFHQ like Ahern and Cowen more authority and power over the selection of candidates? Perhaps this is the end game of that mistake playing out with a quasi-FGer (Martin) collaborating with FG and selling out FF for his chance at being a leath-taoiseach.

Uganda

Big Gob on pat kenny now still whinging about being “excluded” from govt.

Kenny rightly pointing out that they made no effort to form a govt and couldn’t get anyone excpet a few headbangers to support them

the downside of this govt is that we will be subject to her endless hectoring 24/7 for the next 5 years.

NMunsterman

Way wide of the mark.

NMunsterman

Big Gob on pat kenny now still whinging about being “excluded” from govt.

Kenny rightly pointing out that they made no effort to form a govt and couldn’t get anyone excpet a few headbangers to support them

the downside of this govt is that we will be subject to her endless hectoring 24/7 for the next 5 years.

There is absolutely no way this 3-pack FFFG/Greens is going to last 5 years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom