Theresa May: countdown to the end

statsman

mr_anderson

How many leaders do they have to go through before the crown is handed to the natural heir, King Boris ?

It seems some of her cabinet want her gone, that a former party chairman, Grant Shapps, is the ringleader of the coup, and that it is just now a matter of time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/06/tory-ministers-privately-agree-theresa-may-should-go-says-grant-schapps

Will her political epitaph be 'or everyon'?

And where's that P45 when you need it.

Who's going to succeed her?

BoJo
Moggie?
Hammond?
Nigel F?
The N0 10 resident cat?
The last option is synonomous with the second.

Franzoni

Johnson might of over egged the pudding with his Channel 4 doc...he really doesn't come out of it looking well and seems to have píssed off quite a few in the party although the public seem to like him and at the end of the day can he get them re-elected with a majority...?

Don't think Hammond would fare out any better than May TBH as he is seen as being too close to the EU and looking for a watered down deal in the eyes of some....i.e... he wants to keep his options open in a volatile world and not commit financial Hari Kiri...

Socratus O' Pericles

It’ll be Johnson, he’ll insult quite a few folk, women, minorities, Libyans, whomever....and Jezza will sweep to power. A Seven Nation Army won’t hold him back.

Volatire

Every time May opens her mouth, sterling falls.

An abject failure who needs to be replaced by Johnson, Fox or Gove.

petaljam

Seems Amber Rudd is quite popular among the Party, but I'm not sure she'd have enough actual hard support all the same.

Anyway they have to get Theresa out before anyone can get the job - and she's clinging on like a limpet.

Must admit, I'm quite enjoying this particular car crash. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

blinding

It’ll be Johnson, he’ll insult quite a few folk, women, minorities, Libyans, whomever....and Jezza will sweep to power. A Seven Nation Army won’t hold him back.
Perhaps the Tories would like to be out of power for a few years .

Corbin would almost certainly wreck the place in a few years and the Tories would then be the only alternative .

Theresa May would have been better to have lost enough to let Corbyn in . It would implode in two years and the Tories would be back with a new Leader ( pretty much any Leader ) .
There is the odd election that you would actually be better losing ( by not too much ) e.g. The Tories would have been a lot better to have lost the 1992 election by a reasonable amount . Winning it was bad for them in the long run .

statsman

Seems Amber Rudd is quite popular among the Party, but I'm not sure she'd have enough actual hard support all the same.

Anyway they have to get Theresa out before anyone can get the job - and she's clinging on like a limpet.

Must admit, I'm quite enjoying this particular car crash. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.
Rudd's seat is one of the most marginal of all Tory seats, which may count against her. Sadly, so may the fact that she's a woman, given the mess May has made of things.

blinding

Rudd's seat is one of the most marginal of all Tory seats, which may count against her. Sadly, so may the fact that she's a woman, given the mess May has made of things.
Rudd does look the best of whats available ( from the outside anyway )

Its a pity that her seat is a bit dodgy ( even though I hate the idea of safe seats ) . Her being a credible candidate would put some manners on the usual suspects .

rainmaker

Administrator
I can't think of a better pairing to face down North Korea - Trump and Johnson.

Sounds like an ITV detective series.

statsman

Rudd does look the best of whats available ( from the outside anyway )

Its a pity that her seat is a bit dodgy ( even though I hate the idea of safe seats ) . Her being a credible candidate would put some manners on the usual suspects .
But imagine picking a new leader who gets ousted at the next GE. A Portillo moment to the power of 10.

blinding

But imagine picking a new leader who gets ousted at the next GE. A Portillo moment to the power of 10.
Had they being strategic they would have moved her to a safe seat ( is that democracy ) at the last election .

But pretty much no one saw that election result coming . Its a cluster of misfortune for the Tories .

Rudd unashamedly enunciated a "name them and shame them" policy at last year's conference. She was speaking of employers of non-nationals. I was working with Lloyds bank at the time and, of course, with Irish citizenship was entitled to do so. It was a chilling moment in the office when she said it, though. It felt like the beginning of a round 'em up movement.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies