• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

"These Halcyon Days" - Most Ridiculous Ad Ever?

ProfCalculus

I can't find a link to the audio for the RTE radio ad publicising the upcoming run of "These Halcyon Days" but every time I hear it I'm left open-mouthed by the ridiculousness of it.

As much as I can tell is that the play is about (very) old people. And that's about it.

"Highlights" of the dialogue quoted as part of the ad include humdingers such as the phrases "whoops-a-daisy" and "take my right arm".

The over the top "old person voice" delivery of the lines puts me in mind of school plays where 12 year olds with bad make-up limp around the stage playing aul wans and aul fellas.

Can't wait to see it. Not.

sauntersplash

You're listening to RTE Radio One, right?

I wouldn't expect anything too....cutting edge, if I were you.

Prester Jim

I can't find a link to the audio for the RTE radio ad publicising the upcoming run of "These Halcyon Days" but every time I hear it I'm left open-mouthed by the ridiculousness of it.

As much as I can tell is that the play is about (very) old people. And that's about it.

"Highlights" of the dialogue quoted as part of the ad include humdingers such as the phrases "whoops-a-daisy" and "take my right arm".

The over the top "old person voice" delivery of the lines puts me in mind of school plays where 12 year olds with bad make-up limp around the stage playing aul wans and aul fellas.

Can't wait to see it. Not.
It is bad alright.
The worst at the moment, I cannot even listen to it, is the one where your one sings do bop a loo op a wop bam boo,
That is the best part, the lyrics after "got a man named JC, and he dance like crazy..."
Ughrrrr!
Like fingernails on a blackboard.

borntorum

It's rubbish...but it's still better than the incessant 'humourous' ads about paying the TV licence.

Levellers

Dunno what this thread is about but this is my fave current ad.

[video]http://www.facebook.com/aerobubblychocolate?v=app_4949752878#!/photo.php?v=10151559208027698&set=vb.116884942697&type=3&theater[/video]

Congalltee

This site is turning into Facebook whereby random people can't get random stuff off their chests.

Wtf has this got to do with Irish politics? It's commercial, it is not cultural nor is it community.

ShoutingIsLeadership

More fool you; Joe Duffy is currently discussing how the fire brigade might cut a protestor free from a radiator without cutting his neck.

sauntersplash

More fool you; Joe Duffy is currently discussing how the fire brigade might cut a protestor free from a radiator without cutting his neck.
Your licence fee at work.
Cheap at twice the price
ah ya cant put a price on that sort of entertainment...oh wait you can :mad:
The first caller, who rang up to refer to the protestor's 'idiocracy', was a highlight.
In your defence, I suspect I might be pretty close to the brand of nervous breakdown which leaves me the sort of gibbering, cackling mess who'd enjoy the bejesus out of Professor Duffy's invaluable public service.

The OD

It's rubbish...but it's still better than the incessant 'humourous' ads about paying the TV licence.
Agreed. I have utter respect for people who don't pay their TV license. The ads would have us believe that non payment is on par with being a nazi or something.

Morons.

moycullen14

It is bad alright.
The worst at the moment, I cannot even listen to it, is the one where your one sings do bop a loo op a wop bam boo,
That is the best part, the lyrics after "got a man named JC, and he dance like crazy..."
Ughrrrr!
Like fingernails on a blackboard.
Thank God. I thought it was just me. That has got to be the worst ad of all time, matched in banality by 'the twist' variant.

'I will remember to collect the dry cleaning and do the gym'

I mean who writes this ************************e? The girl can't sing, hasn't a note in her head and the lyrics.... aargh

moralhazard77

Agreed. I have utter respect for people who don't pay their TV license. The ads would have us believe that non payment is on par with being a nazi or something.

Morons.
Yes you are a Nazi if you don't contribute your share to keeping our world class broadcasters in the lap of luxury.
Pretending to be a journalist is harder than it looks.

Mitsui2

Oh ye of little faith!

Have you never heard (admittedly on RTE radio) the famous saying "RTE - supporting the Arts"?

Mitsui2

This site is turning into Facebook whereby random people can't get random stuff off their chests.

Wtf has this got to do with Irish politics? It's commercial, it is not cultural nor is it community.
Don't you realise it just means that capitalism has finally worked? - Advertising is the new Community!

Christ help us!

Astral Peaks

Thank God. I thought it was just me. That has got to be the worst ad of all time, matched in banality by 'the twist' variant.

I mean who writes this ************************e? The girl can't sing, hasn't a note in her head and the lyrics.... aargh
Knowing RTE, it will probably win an award at some obscure Radio Drama Awards shindig in the likes of Bratislava and then Rachel English will breathlessly tell us all about it on Morning Ireland. Then she will pop next door to Miriam who will give her 30 minutes of a plug for her new buke......oh wait, she already did.......

Prester Jim

Someone OKed and paid for that too. Should be fired ASAP. I just mute the radio now for 3-4 minutes the minute I hear the 1st syllables so they are losing other companies revenue too.
😑

Popular Threads

Most Replies