They want to rob the river Shannon

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
Prime Time on Thursday last - 28th June, reported on the mounting pressure on the public water supply in Dublin.

Demand for water is at such a pitch that some radical suggestions and models for supplementing the Blessington reservoir are getting attention. One is to take seawater and make it consumable but the process is very expensive. Another is to tap into an aquifer that is under Dublin Meath, Kildare. Yet another is to take some water from the Shannon via pipe but locals down there feel that the river will go dry within a decade.

What do ye think of this boys and girls?

By the way, the report mentioned that between the reservoir and your tap, 30% of the supplied water is lost in leakage...

Eirenua

If the water is going up to The Pale, then do yer duty that will make the water taste "peculiar" and rename the Shannon, Yellow River.

Lennon

Auditor #9 said:
Prime Time on Thursday last - 28th June, reported on the mounting pressure on the public water supply in Dublin.

Demand for water is at such a pitch that some radical suggestions and models for supplementing the Blessington reservoir are getting attention. One is to take seawater and make it consumable but the process is very expensive. Another is to tap into an aquifer that is under Dublin Meath, Kildare. Yet another is to take some water from the Shannon via pipe but locals down there feel that the river will go dry within a decade.

What do ye think of this boys and girls?

By the way, the report mentioned that between the reservoir and your tap, 30% of the supplied water is lost in leakage...
The fall in the Shannon as it makes its way to the sea is very small (apart from around Ard Na Crusha). Rising sea levels and storm surges from climate change will impact greatly on flooding of the Shannon basin. Vast areas of central Ireland will be at risk from flooding in times of high rainfall and high tides. The Government are well aware of this risk. It may therefore become necessary to take water from the Shannon to lessen this impact.

Akrasia

instead of spending billions building a pipe from the shannon to dublin, they should use the money to give grants for people to install rainwater collection devices on houses. Problem solved.

Instead of spending a fortune filtering cleaning and piping water so we can flush it down the toilet, we should just collect rainwater for the same purpose.

It should be a building requirement

ivnryn

Lennon said:
The fall in the Shannon as it makes its way to the sea is very small (apart from around Ard Na Crusha). Rising sea levels and storm surges from climate change will impact greatly on flooding of the Shannon basin. Vast areas of central Ireland will be at risk from flooding in times of high rainfall and high tides. The Government are well aware of this risk. It may therefore become necessary to take water from the Shannon to lessen this impact.
Ahh, I see, so it isn't just a "water grab", its for the protection of the Shannon flood plains ? :).

What a lucky coincidence that the Shannon needs water removed just around the same time that Dublin needs more water.

Coles

Akrasia said:
instead of spending billions building a pipe from the shannon to dublin, they should use the money to give grants for people to install rainwater collection devices on houses. Problem solved.

Instead of spending a fortune filtering cleaning and piping water so we can flush it down the toilet, we should just collect rainwater for the same purpose.

Very good point Akrasia. The priority should be to reduce the waste of high quality (?) drinking water whether through leakage, or inappropriate use.

The Collective.

We had a water supply, untill someone filled it with a landfill! Thats Green party, you guys are totally not sellouts!

Bobb

andrew said:
I thought that more than 60% of water was lost on the way to your tap, due to ancient leaky pipes, which are being fixed according to a number of professional models that I saw with Dick Roche.
I bet one of them was called Glenda :x

HanleyS

They should fix the pipes before examining other options. I think I remember SFA or IBEC calling for this on numerous occasions because it is there rates tha pay for all our water.

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
I would love to see the cost of collecting rainwater compared to laying the pipe. I think rainwater has to be one of the solutions here along with more responsible water management by individuals not to mention obliging new homes to be technically meaner with water usage.

They can't take my river I need to keep my boat afloat below in Killaloe.

Halibut

One solution to the age-old 'draining the Shannon' debate. There's no pleasing some people.

Bobb

lostexpectation said:
there going to take it via lough ree isn't it?
Where the 3 counties meet. Donie Cassidy and Noel O'Gara are planning to build an 80 mile long apartment complex all the way to Dublin, to Dartmouth square to be exact. The apartments will be topped by an enormous concrete half-pipe garnished with Roman inspired plaster-effect plastic cornicing (vines, grapes, that sorta ting, see Woodies) to make it look a bit like an aqueduct which will supply all Dublin's needs

wombat

Bobb said:
lostexpectation said:
there going to take it via lough ree isn't it?
Where the 3 counties meet. Donie Cassidy and Noel O'Gara are planning to build an 80 mile long apartment complex all the way to Dublin, to Dartmouth square to be exact. The apartments will be topped by an enormous concrete half-pipe garnished with Roman inspired plaster-effect plastic cornicing (vines, grapes, that sorta ting, see Woodies) to make it look a bit like an aqueduct which will supply all Dublin's needs
I always knew Donie's taste was exceeded only by his vision, pure brilliance.

soubresauts

I believe the Intel factory uses at least one-third of Greater Dublin's water supply.

Can anybody confirm that?

spalpeen

Coles said:
Akrasia said:

Very good point Akrasia. The priority should be to reduce the waste of high quality (?) drinking water whether through leakage, or inappropriate use.
Hey cut that out the two of you... starting to sound "unpatriotic" and stuff... next you'll be "talking down the Housing sector"

Thats the kind of slug sliding, lettuce lingering solution that might actually work and has absolutely no place in the Ireland of today... next you'll be using words like "sustainability" and god forbid " In the interests of proper planning".... where do you get off with those sort of radical views and opinions...

Careful now... Down with that sort of stuff...
Excuse me while i step outside and contribute to the "Yellow River"
:twisted:

D

Dr Jimbo

Surely getting lots of rain is the one thing the West of Ireland is good at. Giving it to us Jackeens would go some way to offsetting all the BMW subsidies you get.

johnfás

soubresauts said:
I believe the Intel factory uses at least one-third of Greater Dublin's water supply.

Surely not? :shock:

Leftfemme22

johnfás said:
soubresauts said:

Surely not? :shock:
That’s Impossible... I believe soubresauts is yanking chains... metaphorically of course

Most Replies