Things that just went away......

Disillusioned democrat

I believe a significant element of our apparent "poor choices" at the ballot box come because ultimately things that seemed important at a point in time are allowed drift into distant memory and the typical 5 year election cycle means that managing the message makes a huge difference.

There are a number of "biggies" for me that never really amounted to anything resulting in accountability or justice:

• the Mahon and Moriarty Tribunals
  • Micheal Martin's wife holding Owen O'Callaghan's €18k (in todays money)
  • Berties' tax clearance certificate
  • the insider dealing in relation to NAMA 3 years ago
  • the water meter scandal - €500m down and we decide we didn't need them

Does anyone have thoughts on "scandals" that should have brought down the government, but which seemed to be completely forgotten by the media/voters come the next election?

Deep down I think this sense of apathy is at the root of our now 90 year old game of political pass the parcel that we call democracy in Ireland.

APettigrew92

I believe a significant element of our apparent "poor choices" at the ballot box come because ultimately things that seemed important at a point in time are allowed drift into distant memory and the typical 5 year election cycle means that managing the message makes a huge difference.

There are a number of "biggies" for me that never really amounted to anything resulting in accountability or justice:

Does anyone have thoughts on "scandals" that should have brought down the government, but which seemed to be completely forgotten by the media/voters come the next election?

Deep down I think this sense of apathy is at the root of our now 90 year old game of political pass the parcel that we call democracy in Ireland.
The "missing tapes" of the night of the Bank Guarantee.
The "P.Flynn" scandal and subsequent nothing.
The "people who are negative about the economy should kill themselves" speech from Ahern.

We love to parrot ourselves as a nation of democrats who love all things free and equal, yet you need only look to the Continent to actually see a genuine reflection of honest, democratic values.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/01/german-defence-minister-resigns-plagiarism

The German Defence Minister was forced to resign because he lied about his doctorate.

We have legitimately corrupt politicians who sold Government contracts to their friends. What do we do?

We elect them into Parliament as our representatives.

As long as the solid voting block of Civil Servants remains protected by the State, they'll always protect the FF/FG types who dismantle the future for the sake of the broken past.

Watcher2

Wasn't Phil Hogan supposed to bring about an investigation into planning matters?

EDIT: What about Willy O'Dea's affidavit?

Accidental sock

Things have been going down the pan since this last appeared!

I'll be in my cold cold grave before I recognise a "Snickers"

Sister Mercedes

Investigations that are supposed to take a few months get extended into years and years with delivery deadlines meaning nothing. It suits both the govt who want to keep contentious issues out of the news headlines and it suits the legal profession who can rack up millions of euro in billable hours. The IBRC sale of Siteserv, the recording of phonecalls at Garda stations etc ...

L'Chaim

Now this is going to be a very interesting thread.

LadyLou

Don't forget the voting machines and the sheds that were hired to store them.

Franzoni

There is no dispute that issues such as these along with similar ones in other countries have led to people making poor choices at the ballot box .....

But yet again no one is prepared to either consider a radical alternative of voting for Sinn Fein enmasse to give them sufficent numbers to try and lead a coaltion government for various economic and non economic arguments or start the non religious centre right party that so many posters seem to favour...

My own feeling as to why people won't come forward is possibly fear that their own legacy issues might come back to haunt them and/or it's a thankless task....we tend to be a not very honest people when it comes to making money....

TheWolf

Open and transparent government.

eoghanacht

Corruption in AGS.

Two inquries or is there a third on going and FG do fvck all.

Though I can't say I blame them, as far as I can see once the corruption is hidden behind a veil of omerta the electorate don't seem to mind.

eoghanacht

Enda, where did he go?

Bedding an mucha ramhar probably.

Dub01

Did we ever find out who was bugging the GSOC offices?

sadcitizen

Bugging of GSOC, which almost certainly did happen.

Garda records conveniently disappearing at opportune times for a politician, Shatter driving away from the checkpoint being the first incident to cross my mind.

Pay to play as revealed by Prime Time in 2015. Just..."you resign and everything's grand". Who else is getting their palms greased?

Edit: ^ Snap

New Threads

Most Replies