• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Third level fees likely to go up in budget

Tomas Mor

Reports suggest that third level fees in form of increase in registration fees by several hundred,maybe up to as much as 3000 euro, may come in budget.This will hit struggling PAYE families most, and I wonder if the Greens and Mr. GoGo will stand for it.

Inda Kenny

This will also hit a lot of mature students who struggled to pay the fees this year especially those on the BTEA

st3ph3n

"Registration" fee my arse. This is the death of free 3rd level education without the government having the balls to admit it. This is free education in the same way that Trevor Sargent didn't lead the greens into government with FF.

Tomas Mor

"Registration" fee my arse. This is the death of free 3rd level education without the government having the balls to admit it. This is free education in the same way that Trevor Sargent didn't lead the greens into government with FF.

Of course it is, a Rose by any other Name.

davehiggz

I'm going to college next year :( This doesn't look good.

It's good to hear my parents tell me that they'll do whatever it takes to make sure we have the money but for many other families a doubling of registration fees could be the tipping point.

Fine Gael has consistently said that we should a graduate tax instead of fees at the door. They are a complete disincentive.

Gemlarkin

Why not a student loan scheme?

Why not a student loan scheme?

We need rationalisation of Third level

no point having many colleges covering the same course

Put the lectures on Utube

promote more distance learning

Finbar10

Was a bit shocked at some of the current fee levels. A relative of mine (who'd lost his job this year) went back to college in October to do a one year postgraduate course (in engineering). Qualifies for no grants. Fees he paid were around €7500 (including registration fee). I'm guessing this will be about €9000 same time next year. And it seems full fees for similar undergraduate courses would be close to these. That's pretty steep! I wonder where would €9000, if the registration fee goes up, rank compared to other European countries? Must be well up there towards the top? I'd hate to be putting two kids through college at the same time if the return of fees means these kind of costs. Sending children to study in other EU countries begins to sounds more attractive.

wombat

Was a bit shocked at some of the current fee levels. A relative of mine (who'd lost his job this year) went back to college in October to do a one year postgraduate course (in engineering). Qualifies for no grants. Fees he paid were around €7500 (including registration fee). .
Sounds like bad value - a course? what will he have to show at the end of the year - a Masters? or a Diploma or a Cert?

Sierra

The Union of Students Ireland has called for a mass march by students to protest against potential rises in registration fees this coming Wednesday.

Finbar10

Sounds like bad value - a course? what will he have to show at the end of the year - a Masters? or a Diploma or a Cert?
Yeah. Know what you mean. It's a masters. In same area as the job he had and the degree he originally got. So does make a certain kind of sense I guess.

Bridget558

Ireland is broke

Ireland is broke and i bet you cant name any other broke counties that have free college and high dole rates

DaveMc

18 months ago Batt O’Keeffe brought a proposal to the table where people earning over €150,000 would be required to pay fees for their kids.
The naysayers that shot down this proposal need to be ‘thanked’ for this proposed increase in registration fees.

No third level fees.
No tax increases.
No PS pay cuts.
No 50 cent prescription charge.
No ending of bank time for PS workers.
No end to ‘shopping day’s’ for PS workers.
No reduction in English support teachers for non nationals.
No reduction in consultant’s €250,000 PA ‘Mickey mouse money’ etc.

Just where is the money going to come from?

Canon

Here is the news ..today a Fianna Fail led government decided to tear up their agreements with the green party, send all the students they can out of the education system onto the dole, and provide a big push to the future jobless to emigrate. Well done Mary Coughlan Minister for Education and Skills you are doing a great service to the future.

Last edited:

spidermom

AND...they wonder why we are saving???

Have 3 in the next couple of years (hopefully) going to college.Thats why I'm putting a bit of money aside. That and to pay for their air-fare!!!!....SIGH!

daveL

I'm not too bothered

Free third level education was needed in the 80s

But it is now past it's sell by date. Our education system has been devalued as has the quality of our qualifications.

But if significant fees are reintroduced there has to be a functioning state student loan system in place which is interest free for the duration that the person is at college, but gets repaid after studies.

jacko

yet another example of Paul Gogarty having no balls

the cretinous little scum bag will walk through the lobby voting YES to €3,000 a year "free third level education"

F*** you Deputy Gogarty F*** You !

WorldTraveller

I like the idea of loaning students the money and then asking them to pay it back at a later date through decreased tax credits. This wouldn't, however, solve the current cash flow problem. So, given that the country now owns several banks, make them lend the registration fees to the students - at a very low interest rate - and have it repaid directly from their pay packets once they've graduated. Anything not repaid could be guaranteed by the government to be repaid in, say, 10 years time. Yes you will have some of the money not repaid, and the government will end up having to make a payment to the bank in 10 years time - but let the banks deduct it from what they will owe the government. Problem solved for everyone.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies