This country needs to talk about alcohol

ShoutingIsLeadership

A pretty frightening report in the media, today.

Apparently, 60% of Irish women said that they drank alcohol, while pregnant .

Now this might be an outlier, but the global average is about 10% and the next highest is about 46%.

This is not to pick on women. Across the media this past couple of weeks, I have heard various adults describing high levels of drinking done over Christmas...and know some people who seem to drink regularly. They are adults, with children...not just twenty somethings.

Personally, I don't particularly drink...it doesn't appeal to me.

Can you explain the attraction, please? Is it habit? Compulsion? Addiction?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-tops-list-for-pregnant-women-drinking-772732.html

ruserious

Culture. Sure where else would you meet up with friends.

A Voice

Women's bodies. Hands off. Right to choose. Stop mansplaining. Blah blah.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Not really. If people are unwilling to stop drinking when pregnant knowing the dangers, then a thread on P.ie is hardly going to change their mind.

It's a discussion about alcohol, with questions in the OP?

Are you afraid to think about how you consume alcohol?

ne0ica

No lets do what we normally do and blame alcohol advertisements or the Heineken Cup.

This country has a really bad cultural relationship with drink.

During my 20's I avoided weddings like the plague.

It is too socially acceptable among all socio economic classes to over indulge and binge on alcohol.

ShoutingIsLeadership

No lets do what we normally do and blame alcohol advertisements or the Heineken Cup.

This country has a really bad cultural relationship with drink.

During my 20's I avoided weddings like the plague.

It is too socially acceptable among all socio economic classes to over indulge and binge on alcohol.
Are you really any different? Why not go and not drink?

ruserious

It's a discussion about alcohol, with questions in the OP?

Are you afraid to think about how you consume alcohol?
No. I don't drink that much to begin with.

A better question to ask would be whether it should be an offence to knowingly sell alcohol to a pregnant person.

Old Mr Grouser

Now this might be an outlier, but the global average is about 10% and the next highest is about 46%.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-tops-list-for-pregnant-women-drinking-772732.html
You'r right - it's a disgusting situation.

Health guidelines advise women to avoid alcohol completely while pregnant, as it can cause neurological damage to a baby’s developing brain leading to behavioural, social, learning, and attention difficulties in childhood, adolescence, and in later life.

According to Alcohol Action Ireland, drinking more than three drinks a day increases the risk of miscarriage and more than 12 drinks a week increases the risk of premature birth.

Ireland tops list for pregnant women drinking
I have heard it said that binge-drinking is a traditional way of 'encouraging' a miscarriage. Could that be a factor?

ShoutingIsLeadership

No. I don't drink that much to begin with.

A better question to ask would be whether it should be an offence to knowingly sell alcohol to a pregnant person.

Why would it be better to ask a question which passes responsibility away from drinkers?

How much (and when) do you drink?

gerhard dengler

You'r right - it's a disgusting situation.

I have heard it said that binge-drinking is a traditional way of 'encouraging' a miscarriage. Could that be a factor?
Thanks for copying the OP, as I could not read it.

You're absolutely correct, regardless of gender Ireland has a major alcohol consumption problem - which Irish society chooses to ignore at a cost to the individual and to Irish society generally.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Thanks for copying the OP, as I could not read it.

You're absolutely correct, regardless of gender Ireland has a major alcohol consumption problem - which Irish society chooses to ignore at a cost to the individual and to Irish society generally.

Perhaps somebody will copy this, as you appear to have me on ignore, Mr Dengler...sometimes to ignore is a solution?

DaveM

This is not to pick on women. Across the media this past couple of weeks, I have heard various adults describing high levels of drinking done over Christmas...and know some people who seem to drink regularly. They are adults, with children...not just twenty somethings.

Personally, I don't particularly drink...it doesn't appeal to me.

Can you explain the attraction, please? Is it habit? Compulsion? Addiction?

Habits and social norms play a big roll.

I would've drank quite a lot until my late 20's and like a lot of young lads without responsibilities to weigh them down I was fond a good binge (or session as we call it). Going to the pub several nights each weeks was the simply norm amongst my circle of friends. There was a sense of "this is what Irish men do" about it all. Which was dumb. But then again, young men are a particularly dumb species.

As I got older and found myself with responsibilities I drifted away from it through a combination of lack of opportunity and becoming conscious that the habits of my youth would not be a good idea in the long term, for me or those around me.

I still have the odd drink now and again but I'd frequently go without for months and it doesn't cost me a thought. I still go to the pub regularly. I just have a coffee or a soft drink instead. That was a little weird at first but not for long and nobody else could care less.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies