• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

This day in Irish History 40 years ago - 7 April 1973 The death of Archbishop Charles John McQuaid

Oh, I wouldn't go that far -
his claim that Protestants, Jews, Masons and communists were agents of Satan pre-dates 1948 :D
Actually, post-Vatican II, he implemented the reforms (though perhaps ambivalent about them), including on ecumenism. He was even quoted as saying that some non-Catholic Christians had more interesting things to say about religion than many Catholic clerics.

toconn

He was a horrible controlling power freak who was part of an organisation that from what I can see has little to do with basic Christian teachings , all the RC church is interested in is control and power. It's a tragedy for this country that the politicians bowed so low to the church , it set Ireland back years.

Catalpast

He was a horrible controlling power freak who was part of an organisation that from what I can see has little to do with basic Christian teachings , all the RC church is interested in is control and power. It's a tragedy for this country that the politicians bowed so low to the church , it set Ireland back years.
How was that?

Surely works of Charity are part and parcel of what Christianity is all about?

No one can deny that he did great work there

Socratus O' Pericles

There used to be an Archbishop Mc Quaid National School in Loughlinstown ( South County Dublin) but the name was dropped a few years back. Anyone know why this might be/

Kilbarry

Originally Posted by toxic avenger
Actually, post-Vatican II, he implemented the reforms (though perhaps ambivalent about them), including on ecumenism. He was even quoted as saying that some non-Catholic Christians had more interesting things to say about religion than many Catholic clerics.
I know - hence my earlier post. Fascinating man.
Again from the Wikipedia article on the Archbishop
John Charles McQuaid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archbishop McQuaid implemented the decrees of Vatican II – including the ecumenical decrees – out of a sense of loyalty to his Church. However he did warm somewhat to non-Catholics, especially those whose attitudes reflected some aspect of his own character. In his autobiography, his Holy Ghost confrere Father Michael O'Carroll records this exchange with the Archbishop:

Father O'Carroll: Well, Your Grace, if you want my honest opinion, I would prefer to hear some Protestants speaking about our religion than certain Catholic priests. I would certainly prefer Malcolm Muggeridge to some of them.

Archbishop McQuaid: Oh, I would agree with you, Father. Did you read his review in last Sunday's Observer of a new history of monasticism? I learned the last sentence by heart. I shall quote it: "The early monastic founders asked everything of their followers and they got everything; the moderns ask little and they get nothing."[39]

4horsemen

The church needs somebody with McQuaid's authority and persona to knock it in line. The bishops from the top down have shown themselves only of sitting on their hands.
You might well be right but I would like assurrance that McQuaid Mk2 won't go; frightening TD's into ignoring our Supreme Court; demanding continued control of our schools and some hospitals; banning imaginary condoms. So if he/she limits their influence to dominating the catholic church it would be an interesting development.

sadmal

How was that?

Surely works of Charity are part and parcel of what Christianity is all about?

No one can deny that he did great work there
He did great work by keeping a portion of money given in collections for his own personal charties. It's easy to be charitable with other people's money, or in this case other parishes.

sadmal

Again from the Wikipedia article on the Archbishop
John Charles McQuaid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archbishop McQuaid implemented the decrees of Vatican II – including the ecumenical decrees – out of a sense of loyalty to his Church. However he did warm somewhat to non-Catholics, especially those whose attitudes reflected some aspect of his own character. In his autobiography, his Holy Ghost confrere Father Michael O'Carroll records this exchange with the Archbishop:

Father O'Carroll: Well, Your Grace, if you want my honest opinion, I would prefer to hear some Protestants speaking about our religion than certain Catholic priests. I would certainly prefer Malcolm Muggeridge to some of them.

Archbishop McQuaid: Oh, I would agree with you, Father. Did you read his review in last Sunday's Observer of a new history of monasticism? I learned the last sentence by heart. I shall quote it: "The early monastic founders asked everything of their followers and they got everything; the moderns ask little and they get nothing."[39]
Didn't he also refuse to sit beside the Protestant Archbishop at a service to mark Ecumenical Week or something similar?

Kilbarry

There used to be an Archbishop Mc Quaid National School in Loughlinstown ( South County Dublin) but the name was dropped a few years back. Anyone know why this might be/
Presumably because he is politically incorrect in this day and age. Incidentally there is an account by Colum Kennny, Associate Professor of Communications at Dublin City University of a meeting he had with the Archbishop as a teenager in the 1960s. Although his attitude to McQuaid is generally hostile, he does provides this revealing vignette:
My hour alone with John Charles McQuaid - Independent.ie

"I remember the archbishop later sighing about the amount of correspondence he received from people. He waved a hand across the papers on his desk and muttered: They write to me about the system. What system? There are only people; or words to that effect."

We're living in an age of Compensation and Victimhood in which people's attitude to problems is to blame everyone except themselves. That is ONE reason why the late Archbishop is regarded as being politically incorrect!

General Urko

Apart from the proven Paedophiles was McQuaid the most reviled Catholic clergy man in Ireland ever? Perhaps only the effective number 2 to him at the time Bishop Michael Browne of Galway a most disgusting animal from Mayo imposed upon an urban people for about 40 years as their bishop and virtually universally reviled by his flock, to be replaced by Jockey boy Casey, could hold a candle to him in this regard!
Even knowing the Catholic church, I cannot see McQuaid or Browne ever being officially canonised!:oops:

Kilbarry

Apart from the proven Paedophiles was McQuaid the most reviled Catholic clergy man in Ireland ever? Perhaps only the effective number 2 to him at the time Bishop Michael Browne of Galway a most disgusting animal from Mayo imposed upon an urban people for about 40 years as their bishop and virtually universally reviled by his flock, to be replaced by Jockey boy Casey, could hold a candle to him in this regard!
Even knowing the Catholic church, I cannot see McQuaid or Browne ever being officially canonised!:oops:
I mentioned that we are living in an Age of Compensation and Victimhood. We are also living in an age where every Teacher, Doctor, Nurse or Social Worker who deals with young people has to take special precautions against being falsley accused of child abuse (e.g.they can never be alone with a child and a teacher is forbidden to hug a distressed child). Archbishop McQuaid did not create this type of society - it was in fact the people who falsely accused him (including liberal icon Dr Noel Browne).

Regarding Bishop Michael Browne I once read an account by a historian - I think J. H. White author of "Church and State in Modern Ireland" - who described having dinner with the Bishop and discussing the Mother and Child scheme with him. He described Bishop Browne as arrogant but he was in no doubt that the Bishop was giving him a truthful account of the controversy as he saw it. Nobody would make that claim about Dr Noel Browne's account in his own autobiography "Against the Tide"!

Last edited:

Kilbarry

Further to the above see Post No 23 including the following:

In his memoirs published in October 2000, former Minister for Health [1982-87], Barry Desmond launched a strong attack on his former Labour Party colleague, Dr Noel Browne, accusing him of "shamefully" destroying records in the Department of Health to bolster his own political image. Desmond wrote that Noel Browne, a political icon for many, fostered divisions in Irish politics and "led young political radicals on his ego merry-go-round".

In his book 'Finally and In Conclusion', Barry Desmond described Noel Browne as having a "semi-persecuted presence" and said that he was "quite incapable of consistent loyalty to the democratically elected executive of any of the parties he joined." Desmond said that Browne's own memoir, 'Against the Tide' (published in 1986), was "a poisonous denigration of some 90 persons he had come across in his career". He also laid the blame for the collapse of the Mother and Child Scheme with Browne, saying he missed 80 of the 261 cabinet meetings held during his term as Minister for Health.

Porkypie

Gone but not forgotten.

Hope he is at peace but I can't say that I miss the fellow at all!
I came across the fellow after he refused to release a report, that he himself commissioned, into child abuse and neglect in Artane Industrial School. He was in possession of the report for over 11 years before he passed away. It took 47 years for the report to be made public. Mc Quaid could have prevented the abuse of hundreds of innocent children. I for one will not be meeting him in Heaven. He played politics with religion. The God Squad | Category | FATHER MOORE: PRIVATE REPORT ON ARTANE INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies