• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

This Irish TImes Article reads like an ad for mercenaries

Heligoland

Not much in the way of balance in this Irish Times article

Irish Times-The military emigrants

The author seems to think it's a splendid thing to join the British Army and go to Iraq and Afghanistan, and paints a glowing picture of a life of exciting experiences and opportunities.

No mention is made of the oddness of swearing an oath to serve a foreign power, and perhaps giving your life for some imperial adventure.

I would have thought advertising for mercenaries would be illegal.

mer·ce·nar·y

• a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.

• any hireling
Mercenary | Define Mercenary at Dictionary.com
If you think these people do not fit the definition, then maybe this thread is a good place to say why.

cottage_economist

But in practice mercenaries are recruited into units composed entirely of foreign soldiers. The French Foreign Legion perhaps, or the foreign units in the Spanish Civil War.

Irish people joining the British Army would be subsumed into existing units comprising of British soldiers. Even the Irish regiments are usually officered by British officers, and in any case would have largely British units attached to them.

Not at all sure about the hireling definition. Don't soldiers in the Irish Army get paid?

Eire1976

The author seems to think it's a splendid thing to join the British Army and go to Iraq and Afghanistan, and paints a glowing picture of a life of exciting experiences and opportunities.

No mention is made of the oddness of swearing an oath to serve a foreign power, and perhaps giving your life for some imperial adventure.

If you think these people do not fit the definition, then maybe this thread is a good place to say why.
Very sadly, Ireland has always been riven with people who think nothing of demeaning their Country by joining up with an army that's job 100% of the time up of it's existence has been to keep Irish people from having their freedom.

It would appear the most heinous crimes that have been carried out by that army onto our nation mean nothing and are clearly swept under the proverbial carpet after a few years have passed.

No other nation would be that stupid.

cottage_economist

Very sadly, Ireland has always been riven with people who think nothing of demeaning their Country by joining up with an army that's job 100% of the time up of it's existence has been to keep Irish people from having their freedom.

It would appear the most heinous crimes that have been carried out by that army onto our nation mean nothing and are clearly swept under the proverbial carpet after a few years have passed.

No other nation would be that stupid.
Apart from the Nepalese apparently, who supply Gurkhas.

Goa Tse

Irish Times has always been colonialist.

Off to slot the rag heads in Walla-WallaStan! Spiffing! Give it to 'em right up the Khyber, they don't like it up 'em.
Maybe they could make it one of those JobBridge schemes for single mothers and their bastards and all the rest of the pinkos?

Heligoland

But in practice mercenaries are recruited into units composed entirely of foreign soldiers. The French Foreign Legion perhaps, or the foreign units in the Spanish Civil War.
Would a British person be legally allowed to serve in a foreign army, and fight against a nation with which Britain was at peace?

Eire1976

Apart from the Nepalese apparently, who supply Gurkhas.
I was unaware that Britain had been keeping Nepal from having it's freedom, more or less tried to exterminate it's population by starving them and making more leave for other countries for hundreds of years.

What fool would join an army of a state that had done that?

ruserious

That is a terrible definition for a mercenary. A mercenary is not a national or party to a conflict and is motivated purely by money.
I have a few friends who joined the BA because our own DF were not recruiting. I personally wouldn't but fair play to them, they are making something of their lives rather than be a drain on the dole here.
Also, no such oath exists for the Royal Navy.

cottage_economist

Would a British person be legally allowed to serve in a foreign army, and fight against a nation with which Britain was at peace?
Apparently so. Both Australia and New Zealand sent troops to fight the North Vietnamese, with whom Britain had no quarrel. Some of these were bound to have been born in the UK, thus making them British citizens, yet I never heard of them receiving any penalty. I once spoke to a Londoner who was an Israeli army reservist, and whenever they had a spat off he would go to do his bit, returning when it was over.

cottage_economist

I was unaware that Britain had been keeping Nepal from having it's freedom, more or less tried to exterminate it's population by starving them and making more leave for other countries for hundreds of years.

What fool would join an army of a state that had done that?
How is Britain keeping Ireland from having its freedom? An are you sure that emigration has abated since Irish independence?

And I think you'll find that at one time Britain was indeed keeping Nepal from having its freedom.

cottage_economist

What fool would join an army of a state that had done that?[/QUOTE]

James Connolly?

julieandrews

If a young Irish guy or girl dreams of military life where they get to see the world, use the latest technology, sail in advanced ships or work with fighter aircraft, then the IDF is not for them. So it makes perfect sense to join the British military where all of the above is a possibility, Irish people are allowed and there's a common language.

No brainer really

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

If a young Irish guy or girl dreams of military life where they get to see the world, use the latest technology, sail in advanced ships or work with fighter aircraft, then the IDF is not for them. So it makes perfect sense to join the British military where all of the above is a possibility, Irish people are allowed and there's a common language.

No brainer really
That makes going into hostile countries and taking lives ok then.

cottage_economist

That makes going into hostile countries and taking lives ok then.
Ask the Irish Army. They have no problems in taking their weapons to Kosovo, Lebanon and other UN assignments, there presumably to be used if required.

Heligoland

Apparently so. Both Australia and New Zealand sent troops to fight the North Vietnamese, with whom Britain had no quarrel. Some of these were bound to have been born in the UK, thus making them British citizens, yet I never heard of them receiving any penalty. I once spoke to a Londoner who was an Israeli army reservist, and whenever they had a spat off he would go to do his bit, returning when it was over.

Britain's Foreign Enlistment Act (1870) says that it is unlawful for British subjects to join the armed forces of any state warring with another state at peace with Britain. However I don't think anyone has been successfully prosecuted under this legislation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies