This is real political correctness - Canada requires 'core mandate' of organisations to be pro-abortion to access summer jobs grant

Mercurial

It matters if the government requires declarations of support for it when deciding who to hand public funds out to.

That's discrimination.

This is more like a typical corrupt modern-day African government - funds only go to those who support the positions of the ruling regime.
Why should we care whether it's discrimination if there is no correct view? Just change your view to the government's view.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

Most people believe that what they believe is right and other beliefs are wrong. That's kind of how beliefs work...
I disagree.

For most political matters there is a spectrum of opinions as to what is the best way to deal with things. Maturity involves understanding that what you believe is just your opinion as to what is the best way to deal with things, and that there are other opinions.

But you don't get that, do you?

Mercurial

I disagree.

For most political matters there is a spectrum of opinions as to what is the best way to deal with things. Maturity involves understanding that what you believe is just your opinion as to what is the best way to deal with things, and that there are other opinions.

But you don't get that, do you?
I understand that you have opinions that are different to mine. But your opinions are wrong.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Why should we care whether it's discrimination if there is no correct view? Just change your view to the government's view.
So now you think that discrimination is OK? What happened to equality?

Why should anyone change their view to the government's view?

Mercurial

So now you think that discrimination is OK? What happened to equality?

Why should anyone change their view to the government's view?
I don't think discrimination is okay - I think that you can't explain why discrimination isn't okay if you think that these questions don't have right and wrong answers.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I understand that you have opinions that are different to mine. But your opinions are wrong.
And so what?

That is just your opinion.

Why are my opinions wrong where they differ from yours?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I don't think discrimination is okay - I think that you can't explain why discrimination isn't okay if you think that these questions don't have right and wrong answers.
What happened to equal treatment of all people?

Mercurial

And so what?

That is just your opinion.

Why are my opinions wrong where they differ from yours?
That would depend on the opinion. But everyone thinks their opinions are right, or they wouldn't have them.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I just said I don't think discrimination is okay...
Me neither.

So why did you ask me to explain "why discrimination isn't okay if you think that these questions don't have right and wrong answers"?

Discrimination isn't OK, not matter what the issue is.

Are you being a c*nt just for the hell of it?

Iarmuid

But I don't claim that tolerance is something valuable in and of itself.
Maybe that's the problem. Tolerance is valuable in of itself, an acknowledgement to one self that one might be wrong, it can underpin collective and individual growth.

Mercurial

Maybe that's your problem. Tolerance is valuable in of itself, it is acknowledgement to one self that one may be wrong, it allows for collective and individual growth.
It's pretty easy to demonstrate that that isn't true: there are many things that it is bad to tolerate.

Mercurial

Me neither.

So why did you ask me to explain "why discrimination isn't okay if you think that these questions don't have right and wrong answers"?

Discrimination isn't OK, not matter what the issue is.

Are you being a c*nt just for the hell of it?
As I said above, if you think that these questions don't have right or wrong answers, I don't see how you can claim that something like discrimination isn't okay.

On the other hand if (like me) you do think that these things have right and wrong answers, then it is possible to say that discrimination is not okay.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
That would depend on the opinion. But everyone thinks their opinions are right, or they wouldn't have them.
I disagree.

Given that there are hundreds of opinions about the subject, what if I say that The Who is the greatest rock band of all time?

I don't think that my opinion is right and that anyone who thinks that The Beatles, or Radiohead, or Talking Heads is wrong if they say that their opinion is that one of those bands is the greatest of all time.

Those are just their opinions.

There is no right or worng answer to that question - just hundreds of opinions.

I don't think you understand what an opinion is.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Maybe that's the problem. Tolerance is valuable in of itself, an acknowledgement to one self that one might be wrong, it can underpin collective and individual growth.
Merc can't admit that.

edg

As I said above, if you think that these questions don't have right or wrong answers, I don't see how you can claim that something like discrimination isn't okay.

On the other hand if (like me) you do think that these things have right and wrong answers, then it is possible to say that discrimination is not okay.
So you know that positive discrimination is bad then, yeah?

Didnt think so. You love discrimination as long as its against those who you disagree with. Thats why you are known by so many as a fascist.

Mercurial

I disagree.

Given that there are hundreds of opinions about the subject, what if I say that The Who is the greatest rock band of all time?

I don't think that my opinion is right and that anyone who thinks that The Beatles, or Radiohead, or Talking Heads is wrong if they say that their opinion is that one of those bands is the greatest of all time.

Those are just their opinions.

There is no right or worng answer to that question - just hundreds of opinions.

I don't think you understand what an opinion is.
But you don't really think that The Who is the greatest rock band of all time. That's just a phrase you're using to express what you know is just an expression of taste.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies