• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

This woman breaking down on Liveline now

Iarmhi Gael

Last edited:

inchicore_republican

Unfurnately the mishandling of our economy will cause.

1.More homeless people.
2.Suicide
3.Crime
4.Racism
5.Poverty
6.Early School Leaving
7.Drug and drink addiction
And much more.

nerraw252

You mean the same woman who said that all foreign nationals who are no longer working should be sent home? The same woman who said that foreign nationals are getting money for nothing?

wexfordman

Lots of stories like this around the country. I agree it's very upsetting, but:

Who did these people vote for?
I'm sick of that argument, its full of sh!T. Those who voted for ff, did so based on the merits of the debate and a choice based on what they were being told. FF and FG were offerring very similar headline issues last election. Just because some on p.ie have a better understanding of politics, economics etc does not give them the right to condem those who voted ff.

White Horse

Lots of stories like this around the country. I agree it's very upsetting, but:

Who did these people vote for?
She may have voted for FF or the Greens.

Many people believed their lies. However, that doesn't diminish my sympathy for the situation in which she and others find themselves.

slx

Hang on a minute here. This woman is clearly in dire straits, but how did she get into them ?

She should be eligible for job-seekers benefit or allowance, which to be fair is quite generous.

Why hasn't she qualified ?

I'm a bit baffled as to how she's ended up on €50 / week when benefits and allowances are significantly higher than that.

Perhaps she needs to speak to someone at the Citizens Advisory Service, rather than Uncle Joe.

IrishTom

You mean the same woman who said that all foreign nationals who are no longer working should be sent home? The same woman who said that foreign nationals are getting money for nothing?

well it may be a bit far fetched to say all Foreign nationals should be deported
but there should definitely be a stop of further people coming to Ireland considering there is no work for them, also the majority of bogus asylum seekers should be tracked down and removed,

illegal workers only serve to kill workers rights as a whole.

She may have voted for FF or the Greens.

Many people believed their lies. However, that doesn't diminish my sympathy for the situation in which she and others find themselves.
Ok, we don't know the whole story about this woman so we can let it slide.

Now, let's put it this way, 28% of the population would still give FF a first preference if there was an election tomorrow (latest poll). It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a substantial number of people in this woman's situation were among them. For them I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Iarmhi Gael

I'm sick of that argument, its full of sh!T. Those who voted for ff, did so based on the merits of the debate and a choice based on what they were being told. FF and FG were offerring very similar headline issues last election. Just because some on p.ie have a better understanding of politics, economics etc does not give them the right to condem those who voted ff.
No matter who they voted for - It is merely what is happening in alot of homes. People have little to turn to

IrishTom

i now believe there is no viable opposition in Leinster house, they are all the same just different names, we need a new political entity that holds the irish peoples interest at heart instead of pandering to big business and bankers like to current batch of cronies does.

leroy42

I agree with the other posters, I voted FF last time but I did not vote for this. FF (and other parties) based their policies on 4.5% growth.

Remember, the main differentiation was that FF sold that line that they were best skilled to handle the economy! Thats waht people voted for. Sure in hindsight it turns out to be a complete con, and perhaps we, as a people, should have seen it coming.

History is littered with countires whose citizens were duped into voting for certain people/policies, only to find that the story being fed was not true.

Rather than blaming ordinary Joe/Jane Soap, who I agree need to take some blame and not be so easily led in future, what about blaming FF for there sheer incompatency, the media for failing to hold them to account, the opposition for failing to point out the multiple errors and mistakes.

A case in point, not one media comment, that I have seen, has brought up the fact that during the most severe budget in years, Lenihan chose to point out that the Irish people had made a fundamental mistake in voting No to Lisbon. We had become complacent.

The minister that is learning on the job, admites that his decision to change VAT cost over €700M, is lecturing us!!!!

No one voted for that.

Iarmhi Gael

i now believe there is no viable opposition in Leinster house, they are all the same just different names, we need a new political entity that holds the irish peoples interest at heart instead of pandering to big business and bankers like to current batch of cronies does.
All the opposition can do is put their opinion accross. Their hands are tied. The vast majority of people switch off with the waffle in Leinster house and would believe more in what Mick says in the Local, Dinny says in the Local Cattle mart or Frances on the tills in Dunnes Stores.

meriwether2

The ignorance argument.

People we hopping mad as well after 2002 when it turned out FF told a tissue of lies in the run up, and then cut, cut cut once they got back in power.

But lo! They'd hardly do that again in 2007, would they? It was 5 years ago after all, wasn't it?
And mean Mr McCreevy was in Europe, wasn't he?

So it was going to be fine, wasn't it? My house will keep rising in value in perpetuity, wont it?

Fool me once shame on you.........how many times have FF fooled us now? In their history? Shame on who at this stage, exactly?

bob3344

Ok, we don't know the whole story about this woman so we can let it slide.

Now, let's put it this way, 28% of the population would still give FF a first preference if there was an election tomorrow (latest poll). It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a substantial number of people in this woman's situation were among them. For them I have no sympathy whatsoever.

What is the alternative ? Enda Kenny ?

You make it sound as if there was some dynamic alternative people were snubbing. there isn't and hasn't been since Dukes let go of the reins.

All the opposition can do is put their opinion accross. Their hands are tied.
Excellent point which people just don't seem to get. Everyone is constantly complaining about the weak opposition, but no matter who the opposition were, they wouldn't have enough votes to change anything. If you wanted the opposition to do more, you should have voted them into government.

The ignorance argument.

People we hopping mad as well after 2002 when it turned out FF told a tissue of lies in the run up, and then cut, cut cut once they got back in power.

But lo! They'd hardly do that again in 2007, would they? It was 5 years ago after all, wasn't it?

So it was going to be fine, wasn't it? My house will keep rising in value in perpetuity, wont it?

Fool me once shame on you.........how many times have FF fooled us now? In their history? Shame on who at this stage, exactly?
Watch out for the giveaway budget at the end of 2011, and the 'unexpected' cutbacks in July 2012.

Iarmhi Gael

Excellent point which people just don't seem to get. Everyone is constantly complaining about the weak opposition, but no matter who the opposition were, they wouldn't have enough votes to change anything. If you wanted the opposition to do more, you should have voted them into government.
And it was only a few months ago when Cowen stood up and said he would do it his way.

This is a FF created problem, but everyone has a part to blame

wexfordman

The ignorance argument.

Serioulsy Merri, 27% of the population are no more greedy self interested or gullable than the other 73%. Stop trying to demonise people for no reason. The same argument can still be applied to the opposition party for not being able to offer credible enough of an alternative to ff.

I remember the days when all fg had to offer were bootcamps and first time car insurance subsidies. Dont tell me thats credible opposition.

Those of us who were fooled, stand along the fools who could not convinced us otherwise

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies