• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

This woman deserves an award, no, not that one, a different award.

EoinMag

I just read about a health care professional standing up for the law and what's right and refusing to take an award sponsored by SMA who are by the backdoor attempting to advertise to pregnant women by sponsoring the midwife of the year award.

Midwife turns down award - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 16, 2012

I think she's showing principles and should be commended for her stance, not only that SMA and the awards organisation should be taken to task.

This is topical for myself and the wife as we're awaiting our second child around Xmas and we used cloth nappies and breast feeding as long as we could.

Fair play to Philomena Canning for having a consience and standing up for what is right.

mr. jings

I just read about a health care professional standing up for the law and what's right and refusing to take an award sponsored by SMA who are by the backdoor attempting to advertise to pregnant women by sponsoring the midwife of the year award.

I think she's showing principles and should be commended for her stance, not only that SMA and the awards organisation should be taken to task.

This is topical for myself and the wife as we're awaiting our second child around Xmas and we used cloth nappies and breast feeding as long as we could.

Fair play to Philomena Canning for having a consience and standing up for what is right.
Nice one, Ms Canning, I salute you.

EoinMag

Fixed that

Good luck with the new one.

I'll not argue the merits of breast feeding over formula.....you'd not even try right?

The law agrees with her by the way, not that it's always a good yardstick in this country....but none the less.

D

Dylan2010

Fair play to her, while they should be free to peddle their wares it simply isnt as good as breastmilk for a baby and medical staff should not be connected to them in anyway. Midwifes can also be misinformed and it doesnt help if they are reading material produced by these companies.

WHO | Breastfeeding

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.

Levellers

Well done Philomena Canning. Standing up against the robber baron pharmaceutical companies.

Shakka

Yet another example of the tackiness (IMO) of everything it seems being sponsored by someone - the whole practice seems to have no bounds.

What's next - a party political broadcast by FG sponsered by AIB ? Would not surprise me actually.

Fair play for her standing up for what she thinks is right - Ireland could do with a lot more of her.

I'll not argue the merits of breast feeding over formula.....you'd not even try right?

The law agrees with her by the way, not that it's always a good yardstick in this country....but none the less.
My kids, when babies, got milk the way God intended them to get it.

Ultimately it is her opinion and law agreeing with someone is not necessarily the best adage to use.

collina

Maybe Enda could accept this award on the lady's behalf?

redhead

Well done to this woman and well done to you for highlighting this.

Sponsorship within the medical community is a huge problem. There are some regulations regarding this but companies, particularly large corporations, get around them by instigating 'Social Affairs' programmes whereby the sponsorship is general and operates as a separate entity from their marketing division thereby distancing them from any claims of advertising or promotion. It just so happens that they may manufacture a product that is someway related but this is co-incidental :roll:

pandora

The irony is that by refusing to accept the award the company concerned have got more publicity than they would have if she had accepted it. Did you know there was a 'midwife of the year award' until now?

I admire Philomena Canning for taking a stand but until ALL midwifes and other healthcare professionals refuse to have any dealings with these companies little will change. Next year they will just screen the nominations more carefully to be sure to get somebody more 'open' to their products. Is there an award for the hospitals that achieve the highest breastfeeding rates?

Another abuse is the amount of advertising we see for the 'follow on' milks these companies produce, called practically the same name as the baby formula they aren't allowed to advertise. These ads are another subtle way of getting around the already lax restrictions.

Half Nelson

Canning is back in the news -
A Dublin midwife was yesterday granted leave of the High Court to serve notice on the HSE of her intention to challenge its threatened denial of indemnity cover of her midwifery practice...
She said she had been ordered to shut down her practice.
Midwife challenges HSE threat to remove indemnity cover

The HSE wasn't quite so heavy-handed with its own staff -
Mild sanctions have been imposed on up to nine staff in accordance with recommendations by the panel established by the local hospital group.
Staff in Savita Halappanavar case

Half Nelson

It seems the HSE has pulled the rug from under the feet of pregnant mothers, with no attempt made to provide an alternative service.
Mothers claim midwife row has left them in limbo
Up to 50 women and children protested outside the Four Courts yesterday.. They were critical of the amount of notice given by the HSE about the matter and the lack of alternative options for them to complete their pregnancy at home.

petaljam

Half Nelson

I didn't see this thread first time around. It didn't get much interest, unfortunately. Well done for bumping it back up. The punitive attitude shown by the HSE to Ms Canning is instructive as to where their real interests lie.
It does seem that the HSE went straight for the shotgun.
It can't be normal practice to put medical practitioners out of business if they make a slip-up (allegedly). The woman was reportedly discharged after 10 hours - I've spent longer sitting in a&e.

I hope the HSE isn't on a mission.

petaljam

It does seem that the HSE went straight for the shotgun.
It can't be normal practice to put medical practitioners out of business if they make a slip-up (allegedly). The woman was reportedly discharged after 10 hours - I've spent longer sitting in a&e.

I hope the HSE isn't on a mission.
Well I was called a rabid feminist for starting a thread suggesting that Aja Teehan should at least have been allowed a personal evaluation of her risks in trying for a VBAC home birth, and apparently a number of posters here think that if the HSE says something then that is that, and only a criminally reckless woman would even protest.

I seem to remember that you were one of the few who agreed with me that the HSE might not always know best, and that just because she is pregnant, she doesn't immediately become mentally infirm.

Half Nelson

Well I was called a rabid feminist for starting a thread suggesting that Aja Teehan should at least have been allowed a personal evaluation of her risks in trying for a VBAC home birth, and apparently a number of posters here think that if the HSE says something then that is that, and only a criminally reckless woman would even protest.

I seem to remember that you were one of the few who agreed with me that the HSE might not always know best, and that just because she is pregnant, she doesn't immediately become mentally infirm.
That sounds about right.
Pregnancy isn't an illness and common sense should be allowed to prevail. But there are always agendas at work.