"those who wanted Brexit" must come up with solutions to solve the conundrums it had created.

McSlaggart

"those who wanted Brexit" must come up with solutions to solve the conundrums it had created.

Brussels' chief Brexit negotiator has made the case for Northern Ireland remaining in the European Union customs union after Britain leaves the EU, to solve a deadlock in talks over the Irish border.

Michel Barnier said there were already over 100 areas where Northern Ireland implemented special rules to harmonise with the Republic and argued that Brexit called for a "specific solution" to "unique circumstances".

Speaking at a think-tank in Brussels the senior EU official said "those who wanted Brexit" must come up with solutions to solve the conundrums it had created.

EU says Northern Ireland should opt out of parts of Brexit and stay in customs union | The Independent

Well any Unionists want to give us your solution to the Irish Brexit conundrum?

devonish

Brussels' chief Brexit negotiator has made the case for Northern Ireland remaining in the European Union customs union after Britain leaves the EU, to solve a deadlock in talks over the Irish border.

Michel Barnier said there were already over 100 areas where Northern Ireland implemented special rules to harmonise with the Republic and argued that Brexit called for a "specific solution" to "unique circumstances".

Speaking at a think-tank in Brussels the senior EU official said "those who wanted Brexit" must come up with solutions to solve the conundrums it had created.

EU says Northern Ireland should opt out of parts of Brexit and stay in customs union | The Independent

Well any Unionists want to give us your solution to the Irish Brexit conundrum?
It's simple, NI designated as special status, with free access to both EU and UK markets, complete freedom of movement within UK and EU. Has the potential to change the NI economy to a radical extent.

CastleRay

NI will leave the EU including the single market and the customs union. Free movement of people from the Republic of Ireland to travel and work in the UK will continue as it always has done.

The trade agreement between the EU and UK will determine the nature of the economic border but I'd prefer a free trade agreement for goods and services with the EU, which includes the Irish Republic.

Sync

It's simple, NI designated as special status, with free access to both EU and UK markets, complete freedom of movement within UK and EU. Has the potential to change the NI economy to a radical extent.
Yup. And as long as they agree to remain under the ECHR and comply with other EU institutes and rules, this seems perfectly reasonable.

devonish

Yup. And as long as they agree to remain under the ECHR and comply with other EU institutes and rules, this seems perfectly reasonable.
Now if only the DUP could see that this has the potential to decimate interest in a UI.

GDPR

Now if only the DUP could see that this has the potential to decimate interest in a UI.
DUP would cut off their own ears if they believed in would spite the Shinners or even "themuns" more extensively. Given how Arlene has managed to hang on thus far I cannot see that changing any time soon. I also am unsure if the EU will exist at all in the medium term, certainly I cannot see it doing so in it's current form.

Se0samh

DUP would cut off their own ears if they believed in would spite the Shinners or even "themuns" more extensively. Given how Arlene has managed to hang on thus far I cannot see that changing any time soon. I also am unsure if the EU will exist at all in the medium term, certainly I cannot see it doing so in it's current form.
The EU has had several incarnations already...

AhNowStop

It makes complete sense ... but you, me & the dogs on the street know that the "usual suspects" will be having canaries at the very thought of it ...

McSlaggart

NI will leave the EU including the single market and the customs union. Free movement of people from the Republic of Ireland to travel and work in the UK will continue as it always has done.
What criteria will you apply to stop the free movement of non Irish into the uk?

AhNowStop

The trade agreement between the EU and UK will determine the nature of the economic border but I'd prefer a free trade agreement for goods and services with the EU, which includes the Irish Republic.

:shock: :shock: :roll:

ffs ....kkkRay must have went to the Boris Johnson "have yer cake & eat it" school of economics

statsman

NI will leave the EU including the single market and the customs union.
Yes.

Free movement of people from the Republic of Ireland to travel and work in the UK will continue as it always has done.

No.

CastleRay

Regarding the EU do you not think you've got that the wrong way around regarding DUP / Shinners and themmuns? The u-turn by Sinn Fein on the EU was astounding.

CastleRay

What criteria will you apply to stop the free movement of non Irish into the uk?
They wouldn't be able to work or claim benefits in the UK and when detected would be deported to wherever they came from. It'd be a fairly simple one to work out given RoI and UK aren't in Schengen at the moment.

statsman

Are you saying the nature of the economic border won't be determined by any trade agreement? Or are you saying that you don't want a free trade agreement between the EU and UK? Or both?
I'm saying that the UK government has more or less explicitly rejected freedom of movement.

cricket

The stupidity of the DUP's stance on Brexit was best illustrated by that joint Foster/McGuiness letter to Teresay May shortly after the referendum in which they pointed out all the pitfalls of brexit.

CookieMonster

Enter the DUP.

NMunsterman

Yep - spot on.
I don't see any rational counter-arguments being aired to this - apart from the "de-coupling" thingy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies