• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Thousands celebrate anniversary of UVF's founding

Ren84

Thousands of people are taking part in a parade in east Belfast to mark the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the Ulster Volunteer Force.

The UVF was set up in 1913 to oppose Home Rule.

The parade will make its way around east Belfast before a rally at Craigavon House where the original UVF was formed.

Organisers said between 8,000 and 10,000 people were taking part in the march.

Many are dressed in period costumes and some are carrying replica firearms of the type smuggled into Northern Ireland to oppose home rule at that time.

The organisers of the parade said the event was marking the founding of the historical UVF and had nothing to do with the modern-day paramilitary group.

A rally is getting underway at Craigavon House, off the Circular Road, the former headquarters of the UVF

Spectators are lining the route and traffic diversions have been put in place.
BBC News - Thousands mark UVF 100th anniversary in Belfast

Oh but unionists don't support terrorism, no sirree. Hypocrites.

dazzler

Half the unionist bigots who vex about a terrorist shrine and terrorists in government will be in attendence no doubt. They ate nearly as hypocritical as they are insecure.

caulfield

How is this any different from celebrating the Easter rising?

The story of the UVF and its subsequent role in WW 1 is woven into PUL folklore

The ability of a small community to organise its own army - with medical and transport corps- and then arm it is something people are proud of and understandably so. The same army largely became the 36th and everyone knows what happened then.

The only link with the UVF in 1913 and 1966 was the name. Very different organisations.

Ren84

Half the unionist bigots who vex about a terrorist shrine and terrorists in government will be in attendence no doubt. They ate nearly as hypocritical as they are insecure.
Those people marching will likely be the same nutters who complain about unionist "oppression" and riot over a poxy flag.

Ren84

How is this any different from celebrating the Easter rising?

The story of the UVF and its subsequent role in WW 1 is woven into PUL folklore

The ability of a small community to organise its own army - with medical and transport corps- and then arm it is something people are proud of and understandably so. The same army largely became the 36th and everyone knows what happened then.

The only link with the UVF in 1913 and 1966 was the name. Very different organisations.
The UVF of 1913 were a gang of terrorists and murderers.

vivabrigada

I wouldn't object to the parade as it will be in areas where people feel comfortable enough with it.
I would point out that Unionists went ape when Republicans paraded with replica guns.
Double standards anyone?

Ren84

I wouldn't object to the parade as it will be in areas where people feel comfortable enough with it.
I would point out that Unionists went ape when Republicans paraded with replica guns.
Double standards anyone?
True. But unionists are hypocrites all the same for whinging about Republican parades and then go ahead with this. Next time they bleat on about "terrorist commemorations" let them be reminded of today's carnival through East Belfast.

vivabrigada

True. But unionists are hypocrites all the same for whinging about Republican parades and then go ahead with this. Next time they bleat on about "terrorist commemorations" let them be reminded of today's carnival through East Belfast.
A few weeks ago some posters on here said that the Na Fianna Éireann commemoration which was confined to Ardoyne was contentious, they were formed in 1909.
I wonder what they make of this?

Sync

Nice :)

I love these sort of events, it really does crystallise why neither the UK nor the ROI wants much to do with many of the denizens residing in the North. Then we get to look forward to the idiots on both sides pointing at each other for celebrating their shared terrorist and criminal past before going to fight over the way they eat their eggs. Cretins.

theloner

I love these sort of events, it really does crystallise why neither the UK nor the ROI wants much to do with many of the denizens residing in the North.
Incorrect as per usual. Most citizens of the south wish to be united with the six counties in the north.

This is what usually shows up your posts that are usual well written, grammatically speaking. Facts seem to be your particular Kryptonite.

Ren84

I love these sort of events, it really does crystallise why neither the UK nor the ROI wants much to do with many of the denizens residing in the North. Then we get to look forward to the idiots on both sides pointing at each other for celebrating their shared terrorist and criminal past before going to fight over the way they eat their eggs. Cretins.
I would hope ALL paramilitary displays and commemorations are done away with, regardless of whether they're celebrating the "old" UVF and IRA, or their more modern incarnations. Time to move forward and consign all these willy waving contests to the bin.

Evergreenfinch

The UVF of 1913 were a gang of terrorists and murderers.
So were the IRA of the same era. But I look at the pre-1922 IRA and UVF as different from those that followed.

Ren84

So were the IRA of the same era. But I look at the pre-1922 IRA and UVF as different from those that followed.
Your terrorists are my heroes. My terrorists are your heroes. It's pointless having these marches. Time for NI to ditch them altogether and get on with the future.

vivabrigada

What about the twefth, don't they celebrate killings?

Evergreenfinch

Your terrorists are my heroes. My terrorists are your heroes. It's pointless having these marches. Time for NI to ditch them altogether and get on with the future.
There is nothing wrong with these types of parades if they are conducted in a dignified manner. UVF parades and Easter rising parades will be no bother if they are like a historical re enactment group gathering.

eskrimador

Seems that the press have been threatened and told to stay away. Wonder why that is?

Ren84

There is nothing wrong with these types of parades if they are conducted in a dignified manner. UVF parades and Easter rising parades will be no bother if they are like a historical re enactment group gathering.
More trouble than they're worth TBH.

Evergreenfinch

Seems that the press have been threatened and told to stay away. Wonder why that is?
What are your predictions these days Walter?