• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Thousands of Irish embracing British citizenship

British Citizen

PrinceMax

A passport is a passport. Does anyone know, if those with a British passport get preference for visas for commonwealth countries like Canada?

Aristodemus

Thousands of Irish applying for British passports

Thousands of Irish people taking advantage of British citizenship.

Always good to see.
The headline is misleading as the article refers to "hundreds". It also says the British Embassy is "inundated with inquiries" which is hardly the same as applying. The hyping up of a story is typical of Independent Newspapers and obviously also applies to its sister paper in Belfast.

Dr Pat

Always good to see.
Are you prone to exaggeration? The reports says hundreds and then goes on to interview, among others, somebody born in Scotland. In any event, I suppose that it is a bit like good Northern folk from the Unionist side now applying for Irish passports and why wouldn't they? Aren't they Irish, after all ( as well as considering themselves to be British) ?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie

Always good to see.
Just a couple of queries regarding your post

1. Why did you put in the title thread and the subsequent post that "thousands" of people are people are applying, when the newspaper headline says "hundreds" ? Were you attempting to be deliberately misleading ?

2. The report merely suggests that the British Embassy is "inundated" with enquiries, rather than actual applications, therefore, how do you know that such enquiries are being followed up ?

3. The one actual person quoted in the article, despite being from Donegal, both said they were "Scottish" but chose to get Irish passports, and would also have chose to get an Irish passport for their daughter had it been more readily available. Why do you imagine Scottish (and therefore British citizens) wanted Irish passports in the first place ?

4. Are you not a bit aggrieved that Irish people simply see a British passport as a "second class choice" ?

Just wondering really ....

jtbooker

Embracing is a little sensationalist no?

G

Gadjodilo

Error in the title, BC. The Belfast Telegraph says hundreds - not thousands so you're out by a mere factor of ten. I'd even find the estimate of hundreds rather exaggerated.

I wouldn't drool for too long over this story if I were you but then I'm not you so drool away.

liamfoley

Like when Brian Keenhan (who was orange) acquired an Irish passport when he was going to The Lebanon, as have other Brits who travel in that part of the world, e.g. David Yallop.

Tomas Mor

I think you have to be born here before 1949 ( Declaration of Republic here) to qualify for a UK passport.Of course anyone born in NI qualifies at once.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Are you prone to exaggeration? The reports says hundreds and then goes on to interview, among others, somebody born in Scotland. In any event, I suppose that it is a bit like good Northern folk from the Unionist side now applying for Irish passports and why wouldn't they? Aren't they Irish, after all ( as well as considering themselves to be British) ?
And funnily enough, those born in Northern Ireland at least, incorrectly refer to themselves as British.

They are citizens of the United Kingdom, but aren't actually British at all, unless they were born on that big island known as "Great Britain".. but they hate admitting that

toughbutfair

What' s the advantage of one?

I don't think it makes it easier to get into a commonwealth country.

I'd have no problem with having one (or any other country) if there was an advantage.

Conor

liamfoley

I think you have to be born here before 1949 ( Declaration of Republic here) to qualify for a UK passport.Of course anyone born in NI qualifies at once.
As I understand it being born before 1949 automatically entitles you, if either parent was born before 1949 you may also qualify, just as someone born in another part of the world to an Irish parent may be entitled to an Irish passport.

Libero

And funnily enough, those born in Northern Ireland at least, incorrectly refer to themselves as British.

They are citizens of the United Kingdom, but aren't actually British at all, unless they were born on that big island known as "Great Britain".. but they hate admitting that
If you support the Good Friday Agreement, you support their right to identify, in all sorts of ways, as British.

Anyhow, if you think only those born in Great Britain can be British, does that mean Eamon de Valera (amongst lots of others not born in Ireland) could never, ever have been considered Irish?

It's a tired old talking point, Rock.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies