"Three months on, our plan is working" - Fianna Fail

il toro

The only way Leninhan is head and shoulders above burton and burton is in height. Brunton might has lost HIS money on a major share portfolio, but it was his to lose, not like LENNY and co who are loosing OUR money.
Burtom talks a good shop, but can she find the trolly to do it?
With logic like that you have to be in FG, if you cannot make the connection then fair enough, Lenihan is in charge of our money only time will how much will be lost, I personally do not believe as much as has been speculated , you do of course realise that burton will require more of our money to keep the civil servants in the style they have become used to.

pete2

This chart is more meaningful

source

red ne

I would not say i am fg or ff. But it is a little bit ( ff) to thing ur plan has worked, which is topic heading.

Cassandra Syndrome

Precisely, this graph confirms the Government's plan to tackle the deficit
So how can the deficit be tackled when the interest alone is going to be 25% on the tax receipts this year?

How will tax receipts increase? How can 25 Billion of a deficit be closed? Is GNP going to magically increase by 30% in the next 3 years?

ang

EU wants details on Govt's budget deficit plan
The European Commission says the Government's strategy to reduce the budget deficit to within EU limits by 2014 needs to be backed up by more concrete measures.

On Ireland, it said the Government had not been specific enough on what measures it would be taking after this year to cut the deficit, while there was a risk that the economy may not grow as quickly as the Government expects in the coming years.
Looks like the EU will take a bit more convincing that we are capable of sorting ourselves out.

RTÉ News: EU wants details on Govt's budget deficit plan

hammer

It will be such a waste to be paying €6 billion a year in interest on the National Debt.
( Must be interest only ) - hope they got a 40 year term :)

60% of total income tax take on interest and RISING.............>

SideysGhost

Precisely, this graph confirms the Government's plan to tackle the deficit
Yeah, and I've got a plan to make millions and retire to my own tropical island with a harem of busty Swedish models by 2014.

Mine's more likely than Lenny's.

Fate of the nation (take a moment, it's a toughie): we can either go with Sweary Mary or Mac the Knife:

FlyOver

If you want to read some arguments that state government budgets and finances are not like the private citizens home budget here is a link that spells some of it out.

conclusions:
Cuts do not equal savings. Cuts degrade economic activity with only a marginal impact on borrowing. The next time a commentator says ‘we’re borrowing €400 million a week’ as a justification for more spending cuts, they can easily be answered: cutting spending won’t affect that ‘€400 million a week’ and it may only make things worse.
In other words, such are the downside risks to the ESRI estimates, that we may experience perverse results: that the fiscal deficit burden may actually rise as a result of public spending cuts.
progressive-economy@tasc: Economically damaging and fiscally irrelevant

James Healy

Bit like the Titanic, steady as she goes.

Marcos the black

Picture speaks louder than words.

Clear proof that the Government's economic policies are working; the consequences of reversing them need to be carefully considered by the public service unions, as their salaries depend on Ireland being able to borrow at affordable rates.
Just came across this thread and thought it would be no harm to remind people of this little PR stunt by Lenny back in March and how the troops were sent out to spread the good news..
Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Insole

Does this hold true still?

"Internationally, we are now held up as an example of a country that is facing up to its economic difficulties and taking the necessary action. Now that we have begun to stabilise our public finances, we can take the necessary measures to return to economic growth and to create and protect jobs."

Marcos the black

Thanks David, it is really great to read some positive news.

Although positive news can be a little upsetting for those who thrive on negativity

I also like this one.... and the way he/she goes on to berate anyone that disagrees with him/her..

New Threads

Most Replies