• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Last edited:
Last edited:
What are your thoughts if any on this new addition to our economy.

I am an opportunist so have taken advantage of it already. Please try out the link.

@MauriceColgan/video/6857919947264380166

By the way. Entrepreneur and TV Dragon, Gavin Duffy is encouraging my efforts on twitter.

Sync

I struggle to see how the revenue TikTok earns would make for a big money buyout. But if you're Microsoft and you get it cheap then sure, why not.

former wesleyan

They scrape all your data without asking. But then I presume most do.

Watcher2

What are your thoughts if any on this new addition to our economy.

I am an opportunist so have taken advantage of it already. Please try out the link.

@MauriceColgan/video/6857919947264380166

By the way. Entrepreneur and TV Dragon, Gavin Duffy is encouraging my efforts on twitter.
this app is all over the place and controversy is following it I believe. Data Prtoection/security issues I believe have been part of the controversies.

But like the vast majority of these apps, you don’t pay money to download them so you must ask the question before downloading, what will it cost you? I have played some online games which are fee to download but there are in game purchases such as certain packs of power ups to get to different levels or make your playing character stronger. So the free download quickly becomes costly and you can see how the developers make money from the ”free“ game.

but where do the developers of tiktok make their money and return for their investment in the platform?

The OD

If you get it for "free", then you're the product.

jmcc

Last edited:
Last edited:
The happy-clappies in the Dublin media will be thrilled. People with a clue will be less so.

ShoutingIsLeadership

RTE and the IDA are celebrating that TT is to build a data centre here. Not a mention of the infrastructural and environmental impact of such centres

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Always great to hear of any jobs new in Ireland- delighted with that at any time.

Watcher2

Data centres will be at the epicentre of the next big global scandal because in them is where “big data” is stored and big data is being used against people. “Big data” is how Cambridge Analitica manipulated people with their own data in order to win the Trump and Brexit campaigns. It’s how apps like TikTok are “free”. The company is getting something, and it’s your data. There is a reason the tech companies are the biggest and most valuable entities in the world. A few of them are (before COVID at least - “normal times”) worth over a trillion dollars. Join the dots.

but it’s grand. At least we will get a few jobs from it.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
From tik tok on twitter.
" This investment in Ireland, to the value of approximately €420million, will create hundreds of new jobs and play a key role in further strengthening the safeguarding and protection of TikTok user data, with a state of the art physical and network security defense system planned around this new operation. This new regional data centre will deliver tangible benefits, including enabling faster loading time that will help our TikTok community to enjoy an even better experience. When our data centre is operational, European user data will be stored in this new location."
They Hope to be up and running in 2022 I may be sill here?

paulp

100s of new jobs? I assume that's just for the construction phase.
more data centres I guess means more power and CO2 emissions and more failure to meet committed CO2 targets?

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
I'd say being under the stern governing eye of the Irish Data Protection Commissioner must be an attractive option too for some of these companies. 'Tis like the eye of Sauron sweeping across Mordor, it sees all, it knows all, it can tell Santa if you have been naughty or nice.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Also the Irish Competition Authority was a study in hopeful silence when the European Competition Authorities pointed out that the Irish Government had yet to divest itself its share in Aer Lingus. A story that was broadcast and printed across European business pages and on which there was nary a peep, press release, or comment. It is as if the story just didn't exist :)

Granballoon

Personally not a fan of the app, I think it's enough evidence that there are enough stupid and narcissistic in the West that they're clear to invade whenever. (Not in relation to your account OP, but on other tiktoks I've been victim to.

If you get it for "free", then you're the product.
Quoting for posterity. Long been a very important mantra. People should check out 'The Social Dilemma', a new documentary Netflix released.

Are we supposed to be sympathetic to the CCP now? Notable absence on the list.

Varadkar and Coveney have been kissing psychotic people's arses for many years. They take a hard line on nothing, they are both spineless. To mention these countries in particular is a softball easy win, a Leo speciality.

Ardillaun

I was about to say that given the trade tension between the US and China and Trump’s move against TikTok, Ireland might be forced to follow America’s lead but tonight the great man is talking of a deal with Oracle:

jmcc

Quoting for posterity. Long been a very important mantra. People should check out 'The Social Dilemma', a new documentary Netflix released.
Some of that documentary (so far) is both funny and interesting. The whole Star Trek with sociopaths adjusting the advertising is quite funny but it is a good way of presenting it to people. It is interesting watching the propaganda angles in the various scenes.

Granballoon

I was about to say that given the trade tension between the US and China and Trump’s move against TikTok, Ireland might be forced to follow America’s lead but tonight the great man is talking of a deal with Oracle:

And that's the second deal. Tik Tok didn't go with Microsoft intentionally because they were going to go for transparency after the purchase, word on the street is the Chinese found a better 'buyer' less concerned with things like that.

Some of that documentary (so far) is both funny and interesting. The whole Star Trek with sociopaths adjusting the advertising is quite funny but it is a good way of presenting it to people. It is interesting watching the propaganda angles in the various scenes.
I actually didn't care for the dramatization in this doc, guess I wasn't expecting it in that kind of documentary. Guess it made the implications more digestible for people.

jmcc

I actually didn't care for the dramatization in this doc, guess I wasn't expecting it in that kind of documentary. Guess it made the implications more digestible for people.
While they are watching the programme on Netflix and using their Internet connection? Most people are not familiar with algorithms and illustrating them simply is often necessary. The dramatisation is probably the best way of doing things. It is much the same reason why movies and series involving hacking or programming rarely show the realities. (The Social Network was, ironically, quite accurate in how it depected Zuckerberg scraping data. That's actually how it is done.)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom