Time for a Dublin-Navan-Cavan-Enniskillen-Derry rail line?

rockyracoon

Twas dismantled in the first half of the last century. To rebuild it would be massively expensive. It would need a long term plan that would require changes in population density zoning, etc. Plans like these take inspirational political leadership, a rare commodity in Ireland. Nice idea that'll never fly.

Inishowen

rockyracoon said:
Twas dismantled in the first half of the last century. To rebuild it would be massively expensive. It would need a long term plan that would require changes in population density zoning, etc. Plans like these take inspirational political leadership, a rare commodity in Ireland. Nice idea that'll never fly.
Are you sure about this? I thought the connection from Dublin to Derry was via Portadown and Strabane?
Anyway, its a good idea and would probably qualify for Interreg funding if the two govts got their acts together.

seabhcan

rockyracoon said:
There's already a lot of people living on the route. Derry has 120k, Stabane 15k, Navan 25k Cavan around 10k, enniskillen about 15k

Far more along that route than the existing route to sligo.

It would cost money to build it, but less than the amount spent on rural bypasses and new roads.

At the moment were spending €300m on the Gort bypass - a town of less than 2k people

tunnel vision

rockyracoon said:
Sure they are building transport routes every day without long term plans or changes to population density or zoning. They have two built in Meath and are building another; While with some planning they would only have needed one. Maybe they could use the one they are building now for this railway line, it would be easier and cheaper and it is planned to go as far as Kells if not further.

Wolverine

Don't waste time discussing it on politics.ie - get a campaign going, call for a feasability study and so fourth.

CTN

How bout extending it to Letterkenny (Ireland's fastest growing settlement) and/or Ballyshannon/Bundoran (two tourist hotspots) and Give Donegal- a county which didn't even have traffic lights until 10 years or so a rail line as well...

MookieBaylock

its a great idea which i already advocated in a thread i started in september i think..

Politics.ie has a tendency to repeat itself!!

bradán feasa

A rail line along the route outlined is an essential part of the national infrastructure. The fact that it has not happened already is testament to the priority place on the region by the ruling party and the lack of joined up thinking in relation to island wide transport.

Getting a rail line to Navan is proving hard enough and with Fianna Fáil in government it is currently unimaginable that it will be actioned in our life time.

PS don’t forget that Letterkenny would be serviced by this line also.

rockyracoon

Inishowen said:
Are you sure about this? I thought the connection from Dublin to Derry was via Portadown and Strabane?
Anyway, its a good idea and would probably qualify for Interreg funding if the two govts got their acts together.
Yeah, bud, it's all gone. Used to run from Derry down to Strabane, through Newtown and onto Omagh and beyond. My aunts and uncles used to travel by train to Sligo during the good old sugar smuggling days. The train station in Newtown still stands but all the tracks, bridges, viaducts, etc. are gone or crumbling. I'd love to have it back but I just don't see it happening.

blucey

If only we had a party in Government that was deeply committed to reducing dependence on private motors, one that could appreciate the benefits from a carbon reduction standpoint of encouraging mass transport....why, that would be great...Oh, wait...

Thar an Phail

Re: Time for a Dublin-Navan-Cavan-Enniskillen-Derry rail lin

seabhcan said:
Its one of the major missing pieces of national infrastructure - a direct rail line to take in the towns of Navan, Cavan Enniskillen Omagh Straban and Derry.

Time to build it?
No. I think Sligo-Ballyshannon-Donegal-Letterkenny-Derry or Portadown-Omagh-Strabane-Derry would be better.

G

Gadjodilo

CTN said:
How bout extending it to Letterkenny (Ireland's fastest growing settlement) and/or Ballyshannon/Bundoran (two tourist hotspots) and Give Donegal- a county which didn't even have traffic lights until 10 years or so a rail line as well...
The original suggestion is an excellent one and this one from CTN is even better. There could be a spur off for Donegal town at Enniskillen; same for Strabane/Lifford to Letterkenny.

But......, with the way things move in this country it would take decades.
:(

Stroke

Let's build a huge Sacred Motorway first of all and make a huge amount of money on speculative LAND development and TOLLS first, shall we?

Oh, wait, someone has already thought of that. Maybe in a hundred years or so will we be able to link the largest anf fourth largest cities on the island of Ireland by rail once again........

blucey

Stroke said:
Let's build a huge Sacred Motorway first of all and make a huge amount of money on speculative LAND development and TOLLS first, shall we?

Oh, wait, someone has already thought of that. Maybe in a hundred years or so will we be able to link the largest anf fourth largest cities on the island of Ireland by rail once again........
Nah. That would require a national spatial plan and a part of committed environmentalists in government.....oh, wait... :lol:

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Well we'll soon have a rail link fro Letterkenny to Derry, and on to Derry Airport.

Either that or Joe McHugh TD is a liar.
I have his election leaflet at home. He topped the poll by promising the sun moon and stars. He didn't say it would depend on him getting into government. So I hope he's going to get started soon.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies