• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Time for a national Fire and Rescue service

Ren84

On April 1st of this year the Scottish government merged its eight regional fire and rescue services into one national fire service known as the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. In Ireland meanwhile we have approximately 37 fire services, all run by local authorities.

Is it time to create a national fire service for Ireland, like what we have with one national ambulance service and of course our single national police service? I would say yes, and go further in amalgamating the HSE National Ambulance Service, along with mountain rescue into one single fire, rescue, and paramedical agency.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irish Fire Services Overview

HSE National Ambulance Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mountain Rescue Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

drummed

We know you'd say yes:rolleyes:

eoghanacht

Yes, No, maybe, it depends. What do I have to do?

Ok then.

pippakin

It sounds like a formality surely they are already joined in everything but name. What would change, the cost? almost certainly it would increase. The numbers? An HQ and enough staff to make it look important.

Ren84

The HSE shouldn't run it. We need a new Quango.

I don't necessarily think we should have a single national service, but 37 does seem too many. Perhaps 5 or so would be more rational.

How is it organised in NI?
A single fire service in NI. That's what we should have. Scotland has a larger area and population than the Republic yet they have one single agency looking after the entire country. That's what we should do. It would also give us a chance to reduce the number of chief fire officers for each county. One CFO for the whole country is enough.

puffin

The HSE shouldn't run it. We need a new Quango.

I don't necessarily think we should have a single national service, but 37 does seem too many. Perhaps 5 or so would be more rational.

How is it organised in NI?
One Ambulance service.with a separate management structure run by the NHS, and a separate Fire and Rescue service run Independently both have their separate budgets, though they may share control functions in the future, a lot of turf wars going on at present.

drummed

Care to offer an opinion smartarse?

If you have a motive to simply provide a better service fair enough. If its a trojan horse to create some sort of united Ireland no way.

seabhcan

It sounds like a formality surely they are already joined in everything but name. What would change, the cost? almost certainly it would increase. The numbers? An HQ and enough staff to make it look important.
In theory, you could reduce the number of managers. But in practice, it would be like the HSE - more managers, less work.

Ren84

If you have a motive to simply provide a better service fair enough. If its a trojan horse to create some sort of united Ireland no way.
Who said anything about a UI for Christ sake? I'm taking about the fire services in the Republic ya demented clown! Go away and milk yer cows FFS. :lol:

Ren84

In theory, you could reduce the number of managers. But in practice, it would be like the HSE - more managers, less work.
That's certainly the danger. The HSE is a case study in how not to amalgamate regional services into one national agency. Lessons though would hopefully be learned. Any new national fire service could not be a merger of all 37 brigades, with each one retaining its own management, along with the imposition of a new national level of management.

florin

That's certainly the danger. The HSE is a case study in how not to amalgamate regional services into one national agency. Lessons though would hopefully be learned. Any new national fire service could not be a merger of all 37 brigades, with each one retaining its own management, along with the imposition of a new national level of management.
And don't forget the disaster with the student grants, about 70 different offices were replaced with 1 national office, but it's been a total mess

drummed

Who said anything about a UI for Christ sake? I'm taking about the fire services in the Republic ya demented clown! Go away and milk yer cows FFS. :lol:
How was i to know? Not like i read the OP's around here anymore. Its gives me a headache usually.

Yeah whatever so...............great idea.............where do i sign.............zzzzzzzzzz.

Ren84

And don't forget the disaster with the student grants, about 70 different offices were replaced with 1 national office, but it's been a total mess
Well the basically reduced the grant processing capabilities from roughly 33 VEC's down to 1 (Dublin VEC), which was incredibly stupid. It's not looking promising if the gov DO decide to merge all the fire services. :|

Ren84

How was i to know? Not like i read the OP's around here anymore. Its gives me a headache usually.

Yeah whatever so...............great idea.............where do i sign.............zzzzzzzzzz.
You were right all along. It is a Fenian trap designed to sleep walk us into a UI. Sneaky fackers that we are.