• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Time for an outright ban on smoking?

D

Dylan2010

Buch better would be to make every teenage kid work in a cancer ward for part of their transition year.

MacO'velli

Haven't we got enough nanny statism already? And what's going to replace the tax take from tobacco over night?

Clanrickard

Schomberg

The attitudes towards smoking are odd alright. I gave up smoking by switching to a Swedish tobacco product with virtually no negative side effects but for whatever reason the EU is on a serious crusade not to allow it for sale or distribution outside of Scandinavia.

I don't know if I buy the whole burden on the health services argument though, surly people dying younger puts less of a strain on the public than a population of ancients all needing constant care and attention? Most smokers who die from it, die from heart attacks or strokes, not long suffering cancer.

Cellach

Yeah because that is exactly what we need. Another illegal addictive substance and the opportunity for those not overly concerned with obeying the law to make fortunes through illicit importation. Wonderful suggestion. Sure why don't why just ban dying, or having poor health?

Aristodemus

Another scare story about smoking. If people are moronic enough to still smoke, or take up smoking, that's their problem. Why does Nanny State have to involve themselves in this?

Ribeye

Schomberg

Another scare story about smoking. If people are moronic enough to still smoke, or take up smoking, that's their problem. Why does Nanny State have to involve themselves in this?
Indeed. Legalise heroin now!

darkhorse

BBC News - Smoking 'rots' brain, says King's College study

We've been pussyfooting around his issue for decades, but has the time come to finally deal with one of the biggest health issues of recent time. Surely its time for a full scale ban on the sale or importation of tobacco and its use in public.
Make them available on prescription only from a pharmacy - following an annual health check and a years prescription / license. Anyone caught smoking in public without a license should be fined.
And introduce a 'smokers tax' on income and welfare payments to help contribute to the State's medical costs of looking after them
That should kill it off ...

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Make them available on prescription only from a pharmacy - following an annual health check and a years prescription. Anyone caught smoking in public without a license should be fined.
And introduce a 'smokers tax' on income and welfare payments to help contribute to the State's medical costs of looking after them
That should kill it off ...
Agreed, that would work as an interim measure.

Troy_337

The BBC should find a study that provides evidence that quitting smoking restores cognitive ability.

Ribeye

Indeed. Legalise heroin now!
Oh heavens no, if they made heroine legal, I would rush down to my local Centra and buy some,

How could I resist the temptation to become a strung out junkie!

B

Boggle

The attitudes towards smoking are odd alright. I gave up smoking by switching to a Swedish tobacco product with virtually no negative side effects but for whatever reason the EU is on a serious crusade not to allow it for sale or distribution outside of Scandinavia.

I don't know if I buy the whole burden on the health services argument though, surly people dying younger puts less of a strain on the public than a population of ancients all needing constant care and attention? Most smokers who die from it, die from heart attacks or strokes, not long suffering cancer.
What product? Have chompix lined up and ready for new years but wouldn't mind extra options...