Time for BeNeLuxIre?

statsman

A fellow poster, who shall remain nameless as convention dictates, but whose name is almost a Rastafarian hairstyle, suggested elsewhere that Ireland should now apply for membership of BeNeLux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benelux

There are a number of reasons for considering this idea. BeNeLux resembles, in some respects, the cross-border aspects of the Good Friday Agreement, focusing as it does on areas of cooperation across ‘internal market and economic union, sustainability, justice and internal affairs’ in a broader EU context. Its ability to absorb the federal Belgian model could be of use in a future united Ireland. In addition, given that our nearest neighbour seems determined to leave the EU, alignment with BeNeLux would give us a set of natural allies in Northern Europe. From a personal perspective, the work the members have done and continue to do in the important areal of intellectual property is another attraction.

And so, as I reflected on the suggestion I began to see its merits, although I’m sure others will have objections. What do you think?

ruserious

For historical and geographical reasons, I don't think they'd want anything to do with us. And they'd be right.

LookWhoItIs

A fellow poster, who shall remain nameless as convention dictates, but whose name is almost a Rastafarian hairstyle, suggested elsewhere that Ireland should now apply for membership of BeNeLux.

There are a number of reasons for considering this idea. BeNeLux resembles, in some respects, the cross-border aspects of the Good Friday Agreement, focusing as it does on areas of cooperation across ‘internal market and economic union, sustainability, justice and internal affairs’ in a broader EU context. Its ability to absorb the federal Belgian model could be of use in a future united Ireland. In addition, given that our nearest neighbour seems determined to leave the EU, alignment with BeNeLux would give us a set of natural allies in Northern Europe. From a personal perspective, the work the members have done and continue to do in the important areal of intellectual property is another attraction.

And so, as I reflected on the suggestion I began to see its merits, although I’m sure others will have objections. What do you think?
Would Ireland get to legalize for recreational use?

between the bridges

Would Dutch gold still be available...

silverharp

if we were to cosy up to anyone it should be Norway but we probably p1ssed them off wrecking their gas project

LookWhoItIs

if we were to cosy up to anyone it should be Norway but we probably p1ssed them off wrecking their gas project
Nah - weed, good beer, nice chocolate is more attractive - what has Norway to offer, and anyway the Brits want to be Norway - lets keep away from that lot

GDPR

Catholic/Protestant, though The Netherlands is quite Catholic and so is Belgium.

Maybe if Ireland is united with the remaining 6 counties the proddie population of benelux would feel more accepting of having Ireland joining them.

I cannot think of any other reasons. Perhaps ruserious can explain.

ruserious

Can you expand?
The Benelux countries have a long history together. They formed what was known as the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the period 1815-1830. The modern day countries have a long history of co-operation. I can't see them opening up their club to Ireland. While it would be beneficial to us, I just can't see it.

Deadlock

I spent a few months in NL as a student, and I was struck by the similarities in our cultures.

The most profound culture shock for me was shops closing Saturday afternoons and staying closed until Monday morning.

GDPR

Reposted from the Brexit thread, as Statsman was creating the benelux thread as I was writing this:

It's also a good fit in terms of trade philosophy. After all BeNeLux is a our trading partner after the US.
Even better.

Can you think of other benefits, or other relevant aspects?

Off the subject a bit. The OECD would report on The Netherlands with Australia because at the time they both were developed countries and their population was about the same c.15 million. That sort of reporting may have changed since Australia's population is now around 22 million while The Netherlands has only gone up to 17 million, probably a good thing given Holland's size. You can fit 200 Hollands into the Australian state of Queensland!

hollandia

I spent a few months in NL as a student, and I was struck by the similarities in our cultures.

The most profound culture shock for me was shops closing Saturday afternoons and staying closed until Monday morning.
Its a bit more relaxed in the South. There's now also one shopping Sunday per month in the North. They also have quite a marked Protestant Catholic divide, so not that different at all...

statsman

The Benelux countries have a long history together. They formed what was known as the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the period 1815-1830. The modern day countries have a long history of co-operation. I can't see them opening up their club to Ireland. While it would be beneficial to us, I just can't see it.
15 years of a forced marriage that ended in armed revolution is the basis for their current cooperation? I think perhaps not. After all, an Orange prince held sway here for almost as long.

They might see benefit to a counterweight to their new non-EU neighbour across the water.

LookWhoItIs

Its a bit more relaxed in the South. There's now also one shopping Sunday per month in the North. They also have quite a marked Protestant Catholic divide, so not that different at all...
We might get the DUP on board with this yet - William of Orange and all, shur they'd slot right in

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies