Time for Irish-language curriculum to follow Basque model?

Fun with Irish

And they are being pushed by the government big time.
An Foras Pátrúnachta missed out bigtime in the 2000s because they pushed Catholic-ethos schools at a time when people were turning their backs on the religion.
In recent years, they have decided that multidenominational schools are the way to go, thankfully.
Interesting....

Fun with Irish

I still don’t see why there would be a cost differential between Irish & English medium education. Is there any data to supportthis perception?
The project of changing the people's language from English demands massive efforts and the resources to support them. So there is a natural cost differential between reviving Irish and just continuing nationally with English.

Last edited:

mr_anderson

Whereas the kids down the road in Coláiste Eoin/Íosagáin will gain fluency in Irish and get an A or a B in Irish, and in French and German too.
Look into it: there is a very supportive culture in those schools regarding third and fourth languages.
Couldn't care less about fluency.
If the kids like the language, they can pursue fluency.
But my aim is to get them enough LC points to study what they want.

Barroso

Couldn't care less about fluency.
Yes, I am aware of that. You have made your attitude towards Irish clear over the years.
Nonetheless, most people would see fluency in a second language as a fairly important benefit.

If the kids like the language, they can pursue fluency.
But my aim is to get them enough LC points to study what they want.
Again, I have no problem with your kids getting the points they need; but if you look at the league tables, you'll see Coláiste Eoin/Íosagáin close to the top of the list.

mr_anderson

Yes, I am aware of that. You have made your attitude towards Irish clear over the years.
Nonetheless, most people would see fluency in a second language as a fairly important benefit.

Again, I have no problem with your kids getting the points they need; but if you look at the league tables, you'll see Coláiste Eoin/Íosagáin close to the top of the list.
Yes. 10% added onto every exam result really helps.

Barroso

Yes. 10% added onto every exam result really helps.
Except, as usual, you are wrong. Have a look at the Dept of Ed & Skills for the true situation.
Not having textbooks in your own language - or in your school's vehicular language - how do you feel that might help?
Do you think one might help to balance out the other?

Which school did you attend? From your posts I get the impression it was a SCD fee-paying school of the non-catholic variety. IIRC they receive all sorts of favoured treatment, including a double capitation grant.

Last edited:

mr_anderson

Except, as usual, you are wrong. Have a look at the Dept of Ed & Skills for the true situation.
Not having textbooks in your own language - or in your school's vehicular language - how do you feel that might help?
Do you think one might help to balance out the other?

Which school did you attend? From your posts I get the impression it was a SCD fee-paying school of the non-catholic variety. IIRC they receive all sorts of favoured treatment, including a double capitation grant.
Colaiste Eoin

Breanainn

Interesting. Can you quote some sources with underlying details?

I think that if the geographical Basque provinces are taken as whole the majority language is Spanish. Can it be that children whose mother tongue is Spanish have turned to using Basque among themselves as their first language?

If so, that is really interesting. Our government has a scheme to make Irish the first language in certain English-speaking areas here because they are part of the officially designated geographic Gaeltacht.
Apologies for the delay, but the Basque government's latest stats:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies