Time For Irish Private Sector Managers To Take 40% Salary Downsizing!

SlickWilly

The incompetence and chancer nature of our managerial class is the basis for my call along with a horrific and unjustifiable wage gap between these for the most part clowns and ordinary workers! However, I would give back in terms of calling for their debts to be reduced along similar lines. To be honest the same applies to the public service managers or so called!
The said incompetence and chancing of the Irish managerial class is probably the most underated factor behind our extreme lack of success as a nation economically! So it's laughable they are being paid so much at workers' expense!
Ben Dunne is brilliant on this topic!

maxthedog

Good idea lets start with the DAA, Aer Lingus and the ESB. and lead on from there.

hibernian56

As a small business owner I have taken a 100% pay cut... I agree, in general salary expectations are completely unrealistic.

hammer

Top paid public servants who advise the Government should be immediately subjected to a 50% cut in salary. Everything else can follow on from there.

sarahj

The incompetence and chancer nature of our managerial class is the basis for my call along with a horrific and unjustifiable wage gap between these for the most part clowns and ordinary workers! However, I would give back in terms of calling for their debts to be reduced along similar lines. To be honest the same applies to the public service managers or so called!
The said incompetence and chancing of the Irish managerial class is probably the most underated factor behind our extreme lack of success as a nation economically! So it's laughable they are being paid so much at workers' expense!
Ben Dunne is brilliant on this topic!
Maybe its not the managers themselves that's the problem and actually the whole idea of having a person whose job is to tell other people what to do?

Why not cut out managers and have self-directed workers?

SlickWilly

Sarahj,
the problem with your suggestion is that you can also have incompetent regular workers. Indeed one of the issues in Irish workers' rights not being as advanced as they should be, is that regular Irish workers are much more likely to turn on each other and report each other to their bosses than join together and fight for better pay and conditions!

D

Dylan2010

It really depends. Fully agree for semi states etc. The recent call in the UK for maximum public salaries to be X 20 times the lowest paid employee seems reasonable (might not work for the ESB though ha! ha!). Otherwise the senior management in companies like Ryanair deserve everything they get. And again industries that receive globs of gov cash like the pensions indsustry are overpaid however the way forward is to get rid of tax breaks.

sarahj

Sarahj,
the problem with your suggestion is that you can also have incompetent regular workers. Indeed one of the issues in Irish workers' rights not being as advanced as they should be, is that regular Irish workers are much more likely to turn on each other and report each other to their bosses than join together and fight for better pay and conditions!
You can't say that the workers would be incompetent without management without seeing them work without management directing them, in fairness?

Perhaps the workers would be more committed and less reticent to get involved in their work if they were self-directed?

LeDroit

Let the Market decide in the public and private sectors. Supply, demand and no wage price fixing. Criminalise unions who attempt to interfere with the Market in deciding wages. Simples.

D

Dylan2010

Let the Market decide in the public and private sectors. Supply, demand and no wage price fixing. Criminalise unions who attempt to interfere with the Market in deciding wages. Simples.
how would you introduce a market for non market entities in the Irish state?

one idea came to mind, a reverse auction for public sevice jobs above a certain grade :lol:

LeDroit

how would you introduce a market for non market entities in the Irish state?

one idea came to mind, a reverse auction for public sevice jobs above a certain grade :lol:
I likey!!

controller

Let the Market decide in the public and private sectors. Supply, demand and no wage price fixing.
Let the Market decide has been one of the problems with our economy. Light touch regulation has not worked in Ireland in the recent past and there is no reason to believe that it will be a success in the future

LeDroit

Let the Market decide has been one of the problems with our economy. Light touch regulation has not worked in Ireland in the recent past and there is no reason to believe that it will be a success in the future
LTR has nothing whatsoever to do with the labour market in Ireland. So that's a red herring. Anyway, we didn't have LTR in Ireland, we had No Regulation.

Harmonica

In the private sector we need to open certain professions which have artifical barriers to entry. In theory any one can apply for high level public sector positions but in practice its a closed club which sets its own rates. Of course the politicians have aligned their pay to PS grades which is very handy when there are calls for wage reductions.

logic

She must be either unemployed or a student. Ridiculous to suggest any business can operate without management.
Oi! I'm a student, I do not agree with that ridiculous statement........ although she could be an arts student

New Threads

Most Replies