Time For Seán Ó Fearghaíl To Resign as Ceann Comhairle?

james toney

Kildare TD and Ceann Comhairle, Seán O'Fearghail, who wrote a reference for a convicted sex abuser in his constituency in 2006, has been called on to resign by child sexual abuse survivor, Shane Dempsey.

In 2006, while elected as Fianna Fail TD for Kildare South Deputy O'Fearghail issued a character reference to Joseph Dempsey, who was jailed for six years for rape and 15 counts of indecent and sexual assault against his nephew Shane Dempsey from Rathangan.

Shane and his sister Emma-Jane had been calling in recent days for an apology from the Ceann Comhairle and for an end to politicians writing references for people in such circumstances.

midlander12

'Yes' is the short answer. But I suspect you won't here much about it from certain other parties, given their own records on dealing with child sex abuse issues.

blinding

Kildare TD and Ceann Comhairle, Seán O'Fearghail, who wrote a reference for a convicted sex abuser in his constituency in 2006, has been called on to resign by child sexual abuse survivor, Shane Dempsey.

In 2006, while elected as Fianna Fail TD for Kildare South Deputy O'Fearghail issued a character reference to Joseph Dempsey, who was jailed for six years for rape and 15 counts of indecent and sexual assault against his nephew Shane Dempsey from Rathangan.

Shane and his sister Emma-Jane had been calling in recent days for an apology from the Ceann Comhairle and for an end to politicians writing references for people in such circumstances.

He has been given that job to look after FFG and himself.

Of course he should resign if he had an ounce of decency but what FFG-er has that ? ?

SuirView

He received 130 votes!
Did SF vote for him?

The OD

FF do not a limit to how low they will go. Th
He received 130 votes!
Did SF vote for him?
Eamonn Ryan likes him so for that alone, no.

Sad to see Catherine Murphy praising him, I would have expected better from her. Foolish me.

What did I expect? :rolleyes:

bactrian

Seán O'Fearghail, is a TD and is Ceann Comhairle,. He seems to be respected as Ceann Comhairle, and that pretty much sums up my knowledge of Sean O'Fearghail.

At some point someone is going to say "and what about XXXX YYYYY T.D. from the ?? Party who wrote a letter asking for mercy/help/clemency for a murderer/rapist/violent criminal"

Just so that we are clear "Whataboutery" is an admission that the person "I support" is wrong but I am justifying their wrongdoing by citing the wrongdoing of someone else that "I don't support". Whataboutery is complete and utter nonsense.

Back to Seán O'Fearghail, in 2006 ,he was subject to the whim of the electorate who demanded a "response" an "action" to their representation. In 2006 it was true, in 2020 it is true! If you are not "seen" to respond to representations from constituents them you will not be re-elected. Indeed ,some years ago ,it was rumoured that a certain County Council kept a special cabinet to file (the very prolific) correspondence from the local TD , making representations requested by constituents.

We as an electorate demand that our public representatives "demonstrate" that they have "heard" our "issue/complaint". They comply and write letters of "Support/Clemency etc" which are duly filed in the "Büllshït" drawer. Our T.Ds are aware of the "Büllshït" drawer.They expect and want this type of correspondence to be dumped there.

All this outrage is hypocrisy.

The OD

Seán O'Fearghail, is a TD and is Ceann Comhairle,. He seems to be respected as Ceann Comhairle, and that pretty much sums up my knowledge of Sean O'Fearghail.

At some point someone is going to say "and what about XXXX YYYYY T.D. from the ?? Party who wrote a letter asking for mercy/help/clemency for a murderer/rapist/violent criminal"

Just so that we are clear "Whataboutery" is an admission that the person "I support" is wrong but I am justifying their wrongdoing by citing the wrongdoing of someone else that "I don't support". Whataboutery is complete and utter nonsense.

Back to Seán O'Fearghail, in 2006 ,he was subject to the whim of the electorate who demanded a "response" an "action" to their representation. In 2006 it was true, in 2020 it is true! If you are not "seen" to respond to representations from constituents them you will not be re-elected. Indeed ,some years ago ,it was rumoured that a certain County Council kept a special cabinet to file (the very prolific) correspondence from the local TD , making representations requested by constituents.

We as an electorate demand that our public representatives "demonstrate" that they have "heard" our "issue/complaint". They comply and write letters of "Support/Clemency etc" which are duly filed in the "Büllshït" drawer. Our T.Ds are aware of the "Büllshït" drawer.They expect and want this type of correspondence to be dumped there.

All this outrage is hypocrisy.
Unless someone has already done similar to what he has done or supported someone who has, how is it hypocrisy?

SuirView

FF do not a limit to how low they will go. Th

Eamonn Ryan likes him so for that alone, no.

Sad to see Catherine Murphy praising him, I would have expected better from her. Foolish me.

What did I expect? :rolleyes:
Have another go.
Tell us about the 130 votes.
Thanks.

The OD

Marcos the black

'Yes' is the short answer. But I suspect you won't here much about it from certain other parties, given their own records on dealing with child sex abuse issues.
Jesus .. not another SF thread..

SuirView

You have another go. Try to be concise. Thanks.
You posted and I quote,

"FF do not a limit to how low they will go. Th"

You do know what you posted, don't you?
Thanks again.

The OD

Jesus .. not another SF thread..
No, the whole lot have shown that power trumps decency. SF are as guilty of this as the other parties but to try to make it out to be just them, even in a p*ss po

You posted and I quote,

"FF do not a limit to how low they will go. Th"

You do know what you posted, don't you?
Thanks again.
I do yes, meant to delete it as it would appear that attacking solely FF is moot, power has them all blind to some things. I would have deleted it but seeing as you had already quote it no point now.

redneck

I believe in forgiveness. That people should try and forgive, if not forget the past. So I would give Mr O Fearghail the benefit of the doubt.
But I wonder will Mr Micheál Martin be questioned on this matter by our media. They would certainly ask the question of Mary Lou McDonald.

bactrian

Unless someone has already done similar to what he has done or supported someone who has, how is it hypocrisy?
There have been quite a number of politicians who have written letters in support of murderers/rapists/etc . The only one who acted with honour ever was Trevor Sargent. If I remember correctly , he wrote a letter to a Garda in relation to an ongoing Traffic Case(Please correct me if I am wrong). Mr. Sargent was a Junior Minister at the time and resigned .

The hypocrisy arises because We ask our politicians to make representations on behalf of the unworthy and then get all "Holier than thou" when they are discovered to have complied with out demands.

carlovian

There have been quite a number of politicians who have written letters in support of murderers/rapists/etc . The only one who acted with honour ever was Trevor Sargent. If I remember correctly , he wrote a letter to a Garda in relation to an ongoing Traffic Case(Please correct me if I am wrong). Mr. Sargent was a Junior Minister at the time and resigned .

The hypocrisy arises because We ask our politicians to make representations on behalf of the unworthy and then get all "Holier than thou" when they are discovered to have complied with out demands.
If my memory serves me right, Sargent made representations for a guy who had got punched up in Balbriggan.

I take your point about people asking for representation from politicians but wouldn’t common sense stop you from agreeing to do some of them.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

He resigned his ministry but not as TD... why?

Last edited:

NaturalOnlyPlz

I don't see any inherent "hypocrisy" or contradiction to it at all. Seems like the ugly SJW pitchforkers are at it again.

Sync

No, shouldn’t resign. Did what all politicians do which is to write a reference. It’s got no relevance or insight to the crimes that took place or the likely hood of reoffending.

A more constructive discussion is why references matter in a court setting. It’s like victim impact statements prior to sentencing, it just serves to distract from what should be the impartial and unbiased application of the law.

Popular Threads

Most Replies