Time for the grand coalition

riker1969

I can't see FG or FF doing a deal with SF
SF won't be able to put an alternative government without FF or FG
So what options are left ?
FF / FG abstain on the election of mary Lou without any long term deal or perhaps a confidence or supply deal ? I can't see any of the above happening
So that leaves FF/FG going together
They have about 44% support between them. SF have 24%
So SF can bleat about their mandate all they like.
I think it would be attractive to Martin because this is his last chance to be Taoiseach.
For Leo he could take over in say 2 years.
They would link up with the Greens.
Obviously they both would need to get their act together on housing and health
One thing is certain housing will be improved in 5 years

raetsel

I can't see FG or FF doing a deal with SF
SF won't be able to put an alternative government without FF or FG
So what options are left ?
FF / FG abstain on the election of mary Lou without any long term deal or perhaps a confidence or supply deal ? I can't see any of the above happening
So that leaves FF/FG going together
They have about 44% support between them. SF have 24%
So SF can bleat about their mandate all they like.
I think it would be attractive to Martin because this is his last chance to be Taoiseach.
For Leo he could take over in say 2 years.
They would link up with the Greens.
Obviously they both would need to get their act together on housing and health
One thing is certain housing will be improved in 5 years
And it would give SF the status of official opposition, sniping at them at every opportunity, something both the other two are desperate to avoid.
It would also give SF the sort of gravitas they have always craved. The obvious next ambition for any official opposition is government
Hobson's choice really.

riker1969

And it would give SF the status of official opposition, sniping at them at every opportunity, something both the other two are desperate to avoid.
It would also give SF the sort of gravitas they have always craved. The obvious next ambition for any official opposition is government
Hobson's choice really.
Yes there are no easy choices

james toney

Micheal Martin has ruled out any grand coalition with FG....and said they should not be in government.

riker1969

I think ultimately either FF or FG support SF or each other. The only other option is another general election. Who bar SF wants that ?

Talk Back

Hobson's choice really.
Yep - Sinn Fein won the election in more ways than one.

riker1969

Let's all remember the spring tide and Gilmore for Taoiseach. Remind me how the electorate treated them later ?

riker1969

Tactically FG or FF should put SF in power and let their promises vaporise. However how to do that is the question. FG or FF can't hide on the opposition benches

RelentlessApathy!

I think O'Cuiv is making a great point, if FF are willing to go so far as to rebut SF and go so far as joining up with FG...then FF are going back on the things that used to identify them. FF used to be the party popular with the masses that was *somewhat* Republican and quite the opposite of the well off types that FG represented. Perhaps it was the rising economy, but at the FF PP meeting yesterday all but 2 FF TD's aligned themselves with FG instead of SF as a popular Republican party...what FF once was. Modern FF is completely at odds with the historical version of itself.

james toney

Slippery Martin said the country needs a “completely new government” without Leo Varadkar’s party.

Micheal-Martin.jpg

Talk Back

Tactically FG or FF should put SF in power and let their promises vaporise. However how to do that is the question. FG or FF can't hide on the opposition benches
What vaporisation would that be???

In your opening post you say with FFG in power again, housing would be improved in 5 years.

What's with your double-standards - why be a hypocrite???

riker1969

I think O'Cuiv is making a great point, if FF are willing to go so far as to rebut SF and go so far as joining up with FG...then FF are going back on the things that used to identify them. FF used to be the party popular with the masses that was *somewhat* Republican and quite the opposite of the well off types that FG represented. Perhaps it was the rising economy, but at the FF PP meeting yesterday all but 2 FF TD's aligned themselves with FG instead of SF as a popular Republican party...what FF once was. Modern FF is completely at odds with the historical version of itself.
Yes reality bites. The crash changed everything. They are now at about 22% of the vote. They used to be 40% . Somehow they presented themselves as the little guys side while being close to big business and corrupt as ****. Building huge estates in the 1960s such as tallaght without any services .

Marcos the black

Yes and politicians always stick to their word !
They are at the moment. Both FF and FG said that they wouldn't go into power with SF and they're sticking to their election promises.
Personally, I think that they are willing to risk another election as SF have already suffered somewhat of a negative reaction to "up the Ra", Tricolours at the count centres, the refusal to pay €12k rent debt etc. Here in Tipp the newly elected SF TD has already come under scrutiny as some unknown truths are coming to light about him... So... Yeah.. let them off.. another election, FF and FG run fewer candidates, SF run more.. let's see what happens..
But personally my preferred option is to let SF into power.. would love to see them face the reality of governing.

riker1969

What vaporisation would that be???

In your opening post you say with FFG in power again, housing would be improved in 5 years.

What's with your double-standards - why be a hypocrite???
SF are promising to cut taxes dramatically and improve public services. Not possible
Plus a lot of the problems are not just due to funding. Health being an example
We will have more houses in 5 years even if the present policies continue. The private sector is producing more. Even if FG get in again. With FF both parties will know they have to improve their housing policies

riker1969

SF plan to build 100k houses. That's about 20 billion. Then you have to find builders . Then you have to make sure builders make a profit or why would they bother. Don't get me wrong we need a shot of radicalism but not delusion

Marcos the black

SF plan to build 100k houses. That's about 20 billion. Then you have to find builders . Then you have to make sure builders make a profit or why would they bother. Don't get me wrong we need a shot of radicalism bit not delusion
SF are saying they can get houses built for €60k each... Yikes.. wouldn't like to be living in one of those.. are they planning to reduce building codes to get this done?

Talk Back

SF are promising to cut taxes dramatically and improve public services. Not possible
Plus a lot of the problems are not just due to funding. Health being an example
We will have more houses in 5 years even if the present policies continue. The private sector is producing more. Even if FG get in again. With FF both parties will know they have to improve their housing policies
You are deluded.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are the cause of all the problems in the 'Southern Ireland' State.

Problems caused by Fianna Fail and Fine Gael CAN NOT be solved by the same level of thinking of the idiots in Fianna Fail and Fine Gael that created all the problems.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Where has this 'grand coalition' horse manure come from?
What is grand about a FF FG Green coalition that is not grand about a SF FF Green coalition? The latter would actually be larger.

No, this is a media driven narrative trying to suggest that a FF FG coalition is a better one.

It's agenda driven bollox.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies