• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Time for the President to earn her salary

Disillusioned democrat

I'm not claiming that I understand the constitution, but I seem to recall that the President can bring down the government under certain circumstances - right or wrong?

If I'm right - then surely the framing of a 4 year budget by a government with 3 years already on the clock, a miniscule majority, deffered bye-elections and an approval rating in the low teens would enable her to throw the switch and give the people of Ireland what they want and I dare say need more than anything - a General Election to select a government with a mandate for the 4 year budget.

The alternative - a budget crafted by FF to ensure the next government struggles from the day they take office and in so doing increase FF's chance of returning to office sooner - is unacceptable. This scenario may seem like a Machivellian conspiracy, but we've seen FF move mountains recently to ensure the general public pay for their mistakes and to protect their paymasters, so I don't think anything is beyond them.

I suggest that it's time for the President to look deep in her heart - check who's been paying her €300k+ a year for the past 6 years, and then do the right thing.

midlander12

I'm not claiming that I understand the constitution, but I seem to recall that the President can bring down the government under certain circumstances - right or wrong?

If I'm right - then surely the framing of a 4 year budget by a government with 3 years already on the clock, a miniscule majority, deffered bye-elections and an approval rating in the low teens would enable her to throw the switch and give the people of Ireland what they want and I dare say need more than anything - a General Election to select a government with a mandate for the 4 year budget.

The alternative - a budget crafted by FF to ensure the next government struggles from the day they take office and in so doing increase FF's chance of returning to office sooner - is unacceptable. This scenario may seem like a Machivellian conspiracy, but we've seen FF move mountains recently to ensure the general public pay for their mistakes and to protect their paymasters, so I don't think anything is beyond them.

I suggest that it's time for the President to look deep in her heart - check who's been paying her €300k+ a year for the past 6 years, and then do the right thing.
Nope, she can't. The only discretionary power the President has in relation to forming a govt is to refuse a dissolution to the incumbent Taoiseach, and thus allow the opposition to attempt to form a govt within the existing Dail. Thus, the Greens and a couple more indos would have to change sides, and Cowen would have to seek a dissolution and a general election, before St Mary of the Best Intentions gets to have a say.

Constitutionalities aside, I seriously doubt someone as 'establishment' as Mary McAleese would ever do anything to rock the boat. She is as dyed in the wool FF and RC as they come.

Sync

I'm not claiming that I understand the constitution
I don't think anyone was going to be confused into thinking you did. The President can't force the dissolution of parliament for God's sake.

Andrew4

The president doesn't have any real power, she is just a figure head.

Disillusioned democrat

I don't think anyone was going to be confused into thinking you did. The President can't force the dissolution of parliament for God's sake.
Lol - I'd say you're great craic all the same. Get out much?

Sync

Pity - I guess the best we could hope for so would be for her to say that she believes it's the right thing to do and resign - can a President even resign?
No. She's imprisoned in the Aras for the 7 year term. She's only released for black tie galas and St Patrick's day.

splashy

This is really grasping at straws. Perhaps if you scoured the basements of the Four Courts, you might find some vellum that states the head of the Stuart line can dissolve parliament (and re-introduce the Treaty of Limerick).

You'll need to be more imaginative than this -few things are more difficult to break than gombeen FF's grip on power.

Disillusioned democrat

Its funny, you never hear of people complaining about her making to much money
I think we're beginning to - €300k salary and €300k expenses adds up to a complete waste of tax payers money when you consider she has no powers...I'd say many people would do same job for far less.

We're a country with a huge sense of self-importance, and we're prepared to use other peoples' money to prove it.

Magror14

can a President even resign?
Ahem. Cearbhall O'Dalaigh.

The President under the Constitution is not a simple figurehead. She has two particular powers which are real. She can refuse to resolve the Dail at the request of the a Taoiseach who has lost a vote of confidence. She can also refer bills to the Supreme Court to have a determination made as to their Constitutionality.

She is unlikely to exercise the first power in the present circumstances as the situation calls for a government with a popular mandate.

Andrew4

She can also refer bills to the Supreme Court to have a determination made as to their Constitutionality.

She is unlikely to exercise the first power in the present circumstances as the situation calls for a government with a popular mandate.
Yes, she can refer the bill, but if the bill is deemed to be constitutional she has to sign it. The power is with the Supreme Court, not her