Time for the Western Rail Corridor to be made into a Greenway>

Bonsai Experiment

Lets face it folks, the money isn't there to open the Western Rail Corridor to trains again. Was it ever? Based on the financial stats from the section that was reopened , one must ask the question , was that even a good idea. :confused:

The new Great Western Greenway Mayo Walks -- Newport-Mulranny Greenway in Mayo has just been awarded an excellence Award from Europe and is attracting unprecedented amounts of visitors to the area and providing a huge boost for small business in the locality of the restored line.

Western trail wins tourism award - RT News

Minister of State for Small Business Mr John Perry TD has spoken out in support of the proposal in the past as indeed has the Taoiseach, Mr. Enda Kenny, a Mayo man.

Is this a four piece jigsaw screaming to be put together ?

RetiredProvo

Lets face it folks, the money isn't there to open the Western Rail Corridor to trains again. Was it ever? Based on the financial stats from the section that was reopened , one must ask the question , was that even a good idea. :confused:?
T'was, t'was a good idea when we had other peoples money to spend.
Now that we don't and we are all driving top notch cars with great suspension and have half decent roads and sure there are buses for the pensioners, we don't really need a train line up to Sligo from Galway.

The new Great Western Greenway Mayo Walks -- Newport-Mulranny Greenway in Mayo has just been awarded an excellence Award from Europe and is attracting unprecedented amounts of visitors to the area and providing a huge boost for small business in the locality of the restored line.

Western trail wins tourism award - RT News
Get the lads from on the dole out to clear the line, rip up the sleepers, if there are any left that the knackers haven't taken along with the rails and copper wire and put down a concrete path. I'm sure Sean Quinn will be grateful for any further generous support the taxpayer endows on him.

Minister of State for Small Business Mr John Perry TD has spoken out in support of the proposal in the past as indeed has the Taoiseach, Mr. Enda Kenny, a Mayo man.

Is this a four piece jigsaw screaming to be put together ?
If Perry has spoken out in support of it, don't worry, you'll get your dream. he has yet to deliver on a promise. So at least I'll be able to cycle from Sligo to Tuam in a few years time on a spanking new greenway, if the IMF allow me to...D'ya think they'll get Nonnan to tax my Bike? :eek:

louisb

Yeah, and pull the subsidy for Dublin Bus, Luas and Dart. Let them cycle as well!!:D

Bonsai Experiment

Get the lads from on the dole out to clear the line, rip up the sleepers..

If Perry has spoken out in support of it, don't worry, you'll get your dream. he has yet to deliver on a promise.
Estimates are that there may be as much as +1milllion Euro in scrap metal lying on the ground along the line.

Do you mean Perry has or hasn't delivered on a promise ??

RetiredProvo

Estimates are that there may be as much as +1milllion Euro in scrap metal lying on the ground along the line.

Do you mean Perry has or hasn't delivered on a promise ??
The Boys and Girls from the SGH Cancer campaign group are keeping a close eye on deputy Perry's promises, which he gave at the Clarion Hotel before the GE as can be seen on the sign on Connaughton Rd, near to the Hospice.

As for the scrap metal along the line, they might just find a little more than pig iron rails buried along the track. Many's a Bren and Lee Enfield and others are dumped in culverts along the line.

butcherboy101

If Perry promised it.It will happen just ask the sgh Cancer group,We might even see if Tony the Mouse will back him up, 39 days and counting this boy is going the same way as The big Dinner.

Bonsai Experiment

If Perry promised it.It will happen just ask the sgh Cancer group,We might even see if Tony the Mouse will back him up, 39 days and counting this boy is going the same way as The big Dinner.
Thats all very nice but if you weren't writing in Code i might have a clue what you are saying, Whos the big dinner and tony the mouse ?

R

Ringsend Charlie

The Rail line should have gone in 30 years ago, it was needed then, it would have provided for a more balanced economy, rather than congesting Dublin and half the people country trying to buy a house there, distorting the economy and creating a bubble. Ireland is very much underpopulated, we should be at about 10m for the entire country, rather than the 6mn it is. Build away boys.

onlyonpaper

Thats all very nice but if you weren't writing in Code i might have a clue what you are saying, Whos the big dinner and tony the mouse ?
I suspect he is talking about his fellow Sligo Nth Leitrim T.D. Tony McLoughlin and probably Jimmy Devins the FF guy who many blame for allowing Sligo to be downgraded. Perry/McLoughlin indicated that they would restore the SGH situation within the first 100 days of the new Govt but few believe that it will be a full 9th centre of excellance despite their promise but some "halfway house" which wont satisfy too many. The UCH in Galway has not proved satisfactory for a no. of reasons despite the assurances at the time.

Bonsai Experiment

I suspect he is talking about his fellow Sligo Nth Leitrim T.D. Tony McLoughlin and probably Jimmy Devins the FF guy who many blame for allowing Sligo to be downgraded. Perry/McLoughlin indicated that they would restore the SGH situation within the first 100 days of the new Govt ..
Ahh Gotcha. thanks for the translation. :p

Bonsai Experiment

Ireland is very much underpopulated, we should be at about 10m for the entire country, rather than the 6mn it is. Build away boys.
Yeh then we'd have about 4m on the dole. Part of the charm of Ireland , and there is precious little of that left, is the relatively underpopulated expanses of countryside. Its still one of the selling points for tourism here. The countryside, being one of the only natural assets the government cannot sell out from under our asses to European business folk.
For a relatively small investment of approx 7m we could have a major tourist asset in the North West.

asset test

Concrete over it. Divide it into walkway/cycleway and a corridor for minibuses. Everyone who wants to get from A to B can do it, economically, and for the size of the population that would use it.

Same should be done for other uneconomical rail corridors. It would be a great advantage to everyone, commuter, tourist, cyclist/walker. Am I brilliant or what!

Bonsai Experiment

Concrete over it. Divide it into walkway/cycleway and a corridor for minibuses. Everyone who wants to get from A to B can do it, economically, and for the size of the population that would use it.
Wont work I'm afraid, apart from the fact that the line isn't wide enough to take two way vehicular traffic it would require the implementation of traffic control measure everywhere the line crossed an actual road.

Beside we have a route for minbuses going from Collooney to Claremorrs , its called the N17. ;)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...543084102.3921.100001773703036&type=1&theater

Freedom front

The Rail line should have gone in 30 years ago, it was needed then, it would have provided for a more balanced economy, rather than congesting Dublin and half the people country trying to buy a house there, distorting the economy and creating a bubble. Ireland is very much underpopulated, we should be at about 10m for the entire country, rather than the 6mn it is. Build away boys.
soon to be 5 Million!

PlanetZog

The problem as I see it anyway is that there simply isn't the population density to develop a serious rail service along that route.

What has been developed is basically a very expensive bus on tracks. I do not see how the CO2 impact of that route is any better than a proper bus service. They are not electric trains, they run on diesel and, because of the track and route, they run much more slowly than an equivalent road vehicle.

The Donegal-Sligo-Galway route (road) needed upgrading to a decent (not motorway, but maybe like the narrow dual carriage way on the Sligo-Dublin road).

Cork-Limerick-Shannon-Galway should be improved drastically, it's an essential business and tourism corridor.

I just feel that had the money spent on the WRC been spent on improving general rural and urban transport i.e. mostly buses on the western seaboard, it would have made a lot more sense.

It was a mad project with no cost : benefit analysis ever carried out.

Rail is only really CO2 efficient where it's either electric and supplied from non-fossil fuels sources or where it's transporting very large numbers of people (actual commuter lines) or where it's running long-distance at reasonably high speed i.e. the intercity lines.

There was no possibility of doing any of that on the most of the WRC.

We have to get real about infrastructure as we do not have and never did have limitless resources and we cannot make mistakes like sloshing funds around on what are just vanity projects or local electoral drives.

Bonsai Experiment

The problem as I see it anyway is that there simply isn't the population density to develop a serious rail service along that route.......
We have to get real about infrastructure as we do not have and never did have limitless resources and we cannot make mistakes like sloshing funds around on what are just vanity projects or local electoral drives.
Absolutely, and with the Great Western Greenway in Mayo up and running having come in somewhere around 100,000 per km , and attracting major tourist numbers plus a European excellence Award, it makes far more sense that trying to muster up the 3m per km that is estimated for a railway on this section.

Bonsai Experiment

The figure are in here for costings . if you have a quick look you will see that there are nearly 300 crossings on this section two of which alone will cost in the region of 24 million to provide. A Greenway would be up and running for about 1/3 of the cost of those two crossings alone

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/6645-0.pdf

Neilob

The sections between Limerick and Ennis, and Galway and Athenry are amongst the most heavily used rail in the country and an essential commuter line. For the areas in between, the service is very poor. As a daily commuter between Ennis and Galway the train timetable is not suitable for me, and I take the bus which gets into Galway much quicker, and as the road is gradually improved to motorway standard there will be no incentive. However it is an essential part of national infrastructure and the 'tear it up brigade' take a very short term view. Just look at the many rail networks shut down by Todd Andrews in the 1960s which we badly need now. The old Bandon line to Cork could service the entire Western half of Cork city as a commuter line, but it has now largely been built on. The old Harcourt Street line was reinstated at enormous expense, and I recall walking down Harcourt Street and Stephen's Green on my way to work in the early 2000s, and the damage to commercial interests by the Luas was immense, but reaped enormous benefits when it was finally finished.

The mass movement and transport of people is essential for our economy and transport links are the national family silver. There is even an argument to state that the wider revenue generated in the economy by rail links is well worth the investment of subsidising lines that are loosing money. Forcing public transport to be commercially profitable is counter intuitive because transport is a public service. We don't expect our education system to turn a profit do we (?) - yet education generates much more wealth in terms of training people for the workforce than that invested. Some areas of the economy are always going to make a loss, but ultimately generate wealth in other areas. That, of course, is not to say that loss making services should be excused from efficiency, and public transport and the main public transporting company is far from efficient. Irish Rail could start by putting faster trains on the Western Corridor and changing the times to suit commuters.

Come on guys, it's only open a year - give the damn thing a chance!

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom