Time the Green Party called for an election!

Squire Allworthy

It is time for the junior partner in this government to realise that the country needs an election. It needs to withdraw its support from the government.

There is a strong probability that the yields in the secondary market on 10 year bonds will soon exceed 7% . The cost to insure Ireland’s sovereign bonds against default has soared. The economic background is deteriorating and there is little reason to believe that this administration will be able to effectively address concerns.

The financial crisis facing the country calls for a government with a mandate to take the firm and decisive action needed.

It is time for the junior partner to acknowledge that its responsibility to the country is greater than its responsibility to the government. It is time to call for an election.

Marcos the black

That time has long since passed. They're tied to the fate of FF now, and can only hope to put off meltdown for as long as possible.... This unfortunately will have the impact of allowing the economy to further derail under these muppets..But as long as they're getting paid, all is good!!

Squire Allworthy

That time has long since passed. They're tied to the fate of FF now, and can only hope to put off meltdown for as long as possible.... This unfortunately will have the impact of allowing the economy to further derail under these muppets..But as long as they're getting paid, all is good!!

I agree they should have moved long ago, but given the current situation, surely in the interests of the country they they need to bring an end to this government.

DeputyEdo

As the other posters have said, it's to late now.
The Greens will be screwed come the next GE, so they'll just hang in there as long as possible.

Asparagus

I for one don't believe in the green agenda one iota.
I don't believe in carbon footprints or global warming / cooling / cliamte change / whatever.
i find their participation in this government to be reprehensible.

if they pull out of this sham government this week -

i will vote for them and start recycling and using public transport.

hell i'll even walk door to door with them and campaign my heart out for them

Squire Allworthy

As the other posters have said, it's to late now.
The Greens will be screwed come the next GE, so they'll just hang in there as long as possible.

It is no longer about the good of the Green Party but about the good of the country,

Would it be possible for them to enact one final selfless act? Could they for one brief moment place their self interest aside and act as a party of principle?

Fed Up

It is no longer about the good of the Green Party but about the good of the country,

Would it be possible for them to enact one final selfless act? Could they for one brief moment place their self interest aside and act as a party of principle?
Short answer: No

Squire Allworthy

I for one don't believe in the green agenda one iota.
I don't believe in carbon footprints or global warming / cooling / cliamte change / whatever.
i find their participation in this government to be reprehensible.

if they pull out of this sham government this week -

i will vote for them and start recycling and using public transport.

hell i'll even walk door to door with them and campaign my heart out for them

Essentially the Greens are benign, with some daft ideas, but right now they could do the country a real service and end this government NOW!

johnfás

Why would the Green Party call an election? Mary White, John Gormley and Ciaran Cuffe and Paul Gogarty are pretty certain to lose their seats. Sargent may well not maintain his. Eamon Ryan is likely to be the only Green in the next Dáil. They owuld be signing their own death warrants... so they'll stay on to milk whatever perks are available to them.

Squire Allworthy

Why would the Green Party call an election? Mary White, John Gormley and Ciaran Cuffe and Paul Gogarty are pretty certain to lose their seats. Sargent may well not maintain his. Eamon Ryan is likely to be the only Green in the next Dáil. They owuld be signing their own death warrants... so they'll stay on to milk whatever perks are available to them.

For the good of the country Johnfás, or is that an alien concept in Ireland?

Asparagus

Can we make it a law so that if anyone ever says things like - most politicians are in politics out of a sense of civic duty or blah blah - that we can just shoot that person?

This republic does not govern with the will of the people. There is no mechanism for the people to withdraw the mandate.

Fed Up

This republic does not govern with the will of the people. There is no mechanism for the people to withdraw the mandate.
Sorry, but this is one of my pet hates. FF do have a mandate to govern. The electorate gave them one for 5 years in 2007.

Maybe people might think a bit harder before voting next time.

This is one of the few times in Ireland people have to take responsibility for their actions, whereby:

Taking responsibility = taking tax increases
Their actions = voting for a party whose leader was being dragged through the tribunals for corruption.

Sucks for the rest of us who didn't buy da bert's sob story though :mad:

Squire Allworthy

I fully agree with you - but unfortunately the members of Leinster House do not share our understanding of the words public good or historical legacy.

That alas say a lot about;

1. The calibre of the average representative;
  2. The background ethical standards of the country;
  3. Public tolerance of conduct that should be inexcusable.

EvotingMachine0197

The current Government is a worn out sham with only a theoretical mandate. The real substance of the mandate is long gone - like an abandoned wasp's nest, the queen wasp has left and the drones are rolling around dying.

It's over for this Gov. and the Greens need to see this through the eyes of the electorate. This Gov. is not wanted anymore.

If the Greens think they can recover their vote by staying in until 2012, they may recover more votes simply by dispensing with this farce.

Go now ..

consultant

Essentially the Greens are benign, with some daft ideas, but right now they could do the country a real service and end this government NOW!
I would disagree with your description there, Squire.

The greens have been a malignant force - a secondary tumour to the primary FF one.

Daft ideas? That has a quaint ring to it but is far off the reality that these quislings are devoid of structure or concept of government and are further, directly responsible for enabling the systematic destruction of our economy and workforce.

These excuses for 'public representatives' are incapable of any act of service to this country. If it was a war situation they would be classed and hounded as collaborators.

Don't hold your breath for any of them developing conscience or political scruples.

johnfás

Sorry, but this is one of my pet hates. FF do have a mandate to govern. The electorate gave them one for 5 years in 2007.

Maybe people might think a bit harder before voting next time.

This is one of the few times in Ireland people have to take responsibility for their actions, whereby:

Taking responsibility = taking tax increases
Their actions = voting for a party whose leader was being dragged through the tribunals for corruption.

Sucks for the rest of us who didn't buy da bert's sob story though :mad:
I don't know if that is really true from the point of view of political philosophy. Certainly you can argue that the electorate entered into a social contract with the legislature for a defined period of time and that what happens is up to the legislature now and not the people. Legally of course you are entirely correct. However, if we assume that the legislature gains its legitimacy from the people and it becomes clear that the people have fundamentally lost confidence in the legislature, then I am afraid its authority is entirely diminished. The point is though, that airing an opinion in an opinion poll is not an expression of the people and it is unclear whether a groundswell of the people are actually inclined to effect a change - as doing so would necessarily entail risk.

If 100,000 people camped out on Merrion Square tonight and did not move for a week, the Government would fall by next weekend.

goosebump

Perhaps you can explain the sequence of events arising out of a General Election in which the countries various crises will be solved?

You seem to want the Greens to 'take one for the country' without actually explaining how this will make anything better, other than giving about 400k voters who voted for FF in 2007 the opportunity to change their minds.

johnfás

That alas say a lot about;

1. The calibre of the average representative;
  2. The background ethical standards of the country;
  3. Public tolerance of conduct that should be inexcusable.
I agree and one of the other major problems (re my post directly above) is that where there has been moves at a mass display of public dissatisfaction it has been largely led by groups of people even less representative of society than those inside Leinster House.

The sad reality for many people in this country is that they are too afraid to leave their desk as they believe that such a move is even riskier for them personally than the present Government. Whether that is the case or not is up for grabs.

New Threads

Most Replies