• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Time to clarify the role of the OCI

Mad as Fish

The discussion around the arrest of Patrick Hickey in Brazil has centred around whether he and his acquaintances were engaged in any wrongdoing. That has yet to be clarified, however, what is clear is that the Olympic Council of Ireland itself is now under the spotlight as never before and as it is in receipt of public money are we not entitled to be absolutely sure that it operates in accordance with the law and any contracts or arrangements it makes?

The website of the organisation is here -

http://www.olympics.ie/

But you will look in vain for any details on how it operates, the procedure for other sporting organisations to obtain grants, the distribution of the money it is entrusted to handle nor indeed the source(s) of that money. Neither is any indication given of the staff and members who are responsible for running this institution other than a rather flattering biography of Mr Hickey himself.

There is also the question of their role as a conduit for tickets to the games, on what terms do they obtain the tickets, who exactly issues them and polices their use? It is not at all clear for instance who, if anyone, is automatically entitled to tickets such as an athletes family.

Minister Ross has announced he is to hold an inquiry into the affair that is currently unfolding in Brazil but should he not also announce a wholesale review of how the state encourages the training, preparation and selection of its athletes for Olympic competition and assess whether the current arrangements are the most efficient and fruitful way of spending our money on participation in the games?

EDIT: That should of course read the OCI but I can't edit the thread title!

Last edited:

GabhaDubh

Transparency is not a problem for the Olympic Committee Of Ireland as they are bound primarily by the OCI in that pecking order.

GabhaDubh

From RTÉ

"Minister for Sport Shane Ross has said there will be no boundaries or limits put on Judge Moran's investigation."

Jesus, it is non-statutory.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Unusual all the same. Brian Lenihan used to love resisting calls for inquiries and investigations and then when forced would announce one with the terms of its remit safely described so as to ensure any iffy capers would not be covered within the remit of the inquiry.

Bit dangerous for any Minister in Ireland not to set limits to an investigation in a way. You could end up in Drumcondra before you know where you are.

Mad as Fish

Transparency is not a problem for the Olympic Committee Of Ireland as they are bound primarily by the OCI in that pecking order.
Are you referring to the Irish Olympic Council, the executive committee of the council or another committee altogether?

There is a list of members of the executive committee of the Olympic Council of Ireland here -

Who

Their reaction to the events in Brazil is interesting for it is only the acting president, William O'Brien, who seems to have made any comment and that is to promise that the council "will defend itself to the hilt". Meanwhile they have taken the precaution of securing all the files and computers and organising an independent investigation. One imagines that this veil of silence has been encouraged by Sarah Keane, a board member and a solicitor who has been in her position for less than two years and is untainted by rumours that have revolved around other members in the past.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The creaking of the ragged wagon as it trundles around in a defensive circle.

Mad as Fish

The creaking of the ragged wagon as it trundles around in a defensive circle.
This may well be the case which raises the question as to what it is that they feel the need to defend themselves from? As far as I am aware there have been no accusations of wrongdoing by the council itself other than perhaps a lack of oversight.

Mad as Fish

From RTÉ

"Minister for Sport Shane Ross has said there will be no boundaries or limits put on Judge Moran's investigation."

Jesus, it is non-statutory.
Which would indicate that the minister would not wish to confine him to any particular box.

Analyzer

The purpose of the ICI is to have an expensive time on public money.

PissupsR'us.

cozzy121

Christ - I.O.C = INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMITTE

Mad as Fish

The purpose of the ICI is to have an expensive time on public money.

PissupsR'us.
Yet several of their members would appear to have resisted the temptation to party in Brazil, although it is not exactly clear why.

Mad as Fish

Christ - I.O.C = INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMITTE
I am unable to edit the thread title unfortunately, I noted the error in the OP.

The_SR

A fundamental error people make is to think the OCI represents irish sport. It does not. It is the 'embassy' of the IOC in ireland representing their interests and administers the various irish teams every 4 years.

Disabuse yourself of any notion that Ross has any power here

The_SR

Yet several of their members would appear to have resisted the temptation to party in Brazil, although it is not exactly clear why.
Winter sport representatives? Sports that didn't qualify? Not necessarily anything to it

wombat

The OCI are connected to the commercial organisation, IOC in much the same way as Ulster Bank is part of a British Group. When the dust settles, it may be that there is a better way of supporting sport than giving money to them but as regards rules, etc, its none of the state's business.

Mad as Fish

It is regrettable that I find myself banned from three threads concerning the events in Brazil and even more so that no defined reason has been given. I would ask posters to forgive me if I enlarge upon their points on this thread instead.

It has been pointed out that no unequivocal condemnation of irregular ticket sales has been offered by the OCI, why this is so remains a mystery but what would also be appreciated is a clear explanation of how tickets to the Olympic events are assigned to the countries involved and how those countries then distribute them to those who wish to attend? Tickets traveling out to the public should result in money flowing back to the centre. Naturally any costs incurred in doing so should be met and noted in the accounts of the various agencies involved of which the OCI is one.

Can the Olympic Council of Ireland point to their procedures for handling ticket sales as it is surely unimaginable that they do not have a strict protocol in place for this important part of their remit? To not have such a system can only be considered unprofessional at best.

Sister Mercedes

A fundamental error people make is to think the OCI represents irish sport. It does not. It is the 'embassy' of the IOC in ireland representing their interests and administers the various irish teams every 4 years.

Disabuse yourself of any notion that Ross has any power here
It's a non-governmental organization. There's no diplomatic immunity applicable.

Mad as Fish

Winter sport representatives? Sports that didn't qualify? Not necessarily anything to it
Surely council members are there in the interest of all sports, not just their own, Isn't that part of the Olympic family ideal?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies