• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Time to end the visa requirement for Russian visitors

seabhcan

Russians currently need a visa to visit Ireland. The cost is about 60 euro. But the real cost is the hassle of travelling to the embassy in the north-east of Moscow, and waiting weeks while the dept Justice decide. Many potential visitors don't bother.

Russia is increasingly wealthy. The average income is 50% higher than Brazil, and Brazillians do not need a visa to visit Ireland for up to 90 days.

Irish-Russia trade is increasing fast. Exports stand at half a billion, up 137% since 2009. It is 4-5 times higher than exports to Brazil.

True Economics: 30/3/2012: Irish bilateral trade with Russia - 2011 results

Travel to Ireland from Russia - whether for tourism or business - is a pain. Not only the visa, but there are no direct flights. But Ryanair is in talks to start a Dublin-Moscow route- their first entry to the vast Russian air travel market.

Irish officials contact Moscow as Ryanair ponders Russian venture - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

The EU and Russia are in protracted negotiations to end visas between Russia and Schengen area - but those talks are years from a deal. Ireland is not in Schengen, meaning we can make our own deal.

It would be good for business and trade to end the visa requirement for Russian visitors to come to Ireland.

Last edited:

TheWexfordInn

Many potential visitors don't bother.
This is an issue I've experienced with work colleagues who are legally resident and working in London planning to holiday in Ireland but then giving up when they discover the hassle they will have getting a visa so instead holidayed within the UK. I'm specifically thinking of a Taiwanese national who wished to tour Ireland with her parents, a Ukrainian couple and a biker dude from Kazakhstan.

seabhcan

This is an issue I've experienced with work colleagues who are legally resident and working in London planning to holiday in Ireland but then giving up when they discover the hassle they will have getting a visa so instead holidayed within the UK. I'm specifically thinking of a Taiwanese national who wished to tour Ireland with her parents, a Ukrainian couple and a biker dude from Kazakhstan.
The idiocy of the current system means that someone permanently resident in the UK may not come to Ireland, but someone on a short visitors UK visa can.

So your Taiwanese friend could invite her parents to the UK - and they can visit Ireland. But she cannot.

Houyhnhnm

Russian visa requirements for Irish visitors are onerous. As long as there is a quid pro quo by the Russians ending the requirement for ourselves to have to get a visa I think this is a no brainer.

seabhcan

Russian visa requirements for Irish visitors are onerous. As long as there is a quid pro quo by the Russians ending the requirement for ourselves to have to get a visa I think this is a no brainer.
Yes, the Russian visa is a pain. But there is no logic in turning away Russian businesses and investors just out of spite. Israel, for example, recently scrapped visas for Russian visitors even though Israelis still need visas to go to Russia.

And Australia has a defacto visa requirement for Irish visitors while we let them in with just a passport.

Interista

Ireland is not in Schengen, meaning we can make our own deal.
Can we? I thought that, given the lack of passport controls on the ROI/NI border, immigration policies in Ireland have to be coordinated with the UK, and vice versa.

FireWolf

Are you aware how many illegal immigrants and fake asylum seekers would enter Ireland in that case ? And are you aware how much money it would cost Ireland ?

When it comes to businessmen, if USA find that visas are in place, then I guess it is just fine for Ireland as well.

MichaelR

I'm Russian myself and I'm not sure about this idea. At least as far as *complete* visa free travel, like for Americans etc, is concerned.

The Russian visa, while nasty, is not the problem - I'm sure a quid pro pro can be arranged easily. But some people WILL take advantage to come and work illegally. Also they will use this as a visa-free path into the UK. Respect for the letter of the law in Russia is not that high (one of the things it shares with Ireland, actually).

I wonder if a "reduced hassle" version could be looked at instead, for example with online application approval and the actual visa (passport sticker) issuing on arrival. No travel to the embassy, but still a vetting system in place. Surely the Russian government would be expected to provide a similar system for Irish visa applicants!

BTW there actually is a direct Dublin to Moscow flight - it is seasonal though, in summer time. The Russian company S7 runs it weekly, on Saturdays. The prices are exorbitant compared to Swiss and the like, though. Ryanair would be a welcome addition, if only to push down the S7 price.

cricket

I think the key here is to make the application less beauracratic. Making a personal appearance at the embassy is a nonsense.

Analyzer

Sure, is it no possible to purchase/get Irish passports in Russia ?

Wasn't there an extremely attractive lady with an Irish passport in the US, who turned out to be Russian, and who got deported by US Authorities, on alleged charges of spying.

Anyway then would then be able to land in Dublin Airport, go to passport "control", and once they are white the gardai let them all through.

You have to give them respect for not doing it more often.

seabhcan

I'm Russian myself and I'm not sure about this idea. At least as far as *complete* visa free travel, like for Americans etc, is concerned.

The Russian visa, while nasty, is not the problem - I'm sure a quid pro pro can be arranged easily. But some people WILL take advantage to come and work illegally. Also they will use this as a visa-free path into the UK. Respect for the letter of the law in Russia is not that high (one of the things it shares with Ireland, actually).

I wonder if a "reduced hassle" version could be looked at instead, for example with online application approval and the actual visa (passport sticker) issuing on arrival. No travel to the embassy, but still a vetting system in place. Surely the Russian government would be expected to provide a similar system for Irish visa applicants!

BTW there actually is a direct Dublin to Moscow flight - it is seasonal though, in summer time. The Russian company S7 runs it weekly, on Saturdays. The prices are exorbitant compared to Swiss and the like, though. Ryanair would be a welcome addition, if only to push down the S7 price.
That would certainly be a major improvement.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies